4 graphics that explore Americans' divided views on Trump

• CollintheConstant Orem, UT
    Dec. 5, 2017 5:01 p.m.

I can't understand why people would say that they would support Trump and nothing he could do would change that. The fact that anyone would throw their support behind any political figure without any reservation is unbelievable to me. I say that with all the feeling I can muster--no matter what? Seriously?! I really don't believe it.

I am trying to comprehend what that really means, or at least what people mean when they are responding to the question, here is my best guess:

Those who would not rescind support of Trump, no matter what he did, must be interpreting the survey question to mean "I would support him no matter what the media said about him," meaning they simply wouldn't believe what was stated about him. There would HAVE to be some things that would cause you to rescind your support, I won't bother listing possible actions.

I cannot find another way that unflinching support of a political figure, regardless their actions, makes any sense. Unless said political figure is adopted as deity that transcends human perceptions about right and wrong, but who's actions are simply right because of their status as deity.

But I don't believe anybody really feels that way..

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Dec. 5, 2017 3:41 p.m.

I would like to quote something I saw today that fits this situation perfectly with regard to many religious people who seemingly put party over faith:

"...Our loyalty is not to individual leaders or political parties. Our devotion is to God, and we take seriously the charge to place no other gods before Him."

Let's remember this when we are tempted to follow ANY politician.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Dec. 5, 2017 3:11 p.m.

Religious people support a man like Trump at their own peril. He in no way represents their values and behaves in a way that is most un-Christian e.g. demonizing all who disagree, the way he treats and talks about women and minorities, his disrespect for our planet, etc.

There is just so little of model behavior in the way Trump acts as a leader. Witness his constant digs at all real and perceived rivals. His total lack of respect for Obama or the Clintons. I lose respect for anyone who can't say anything nice about someone who thinks differently. Every other political leader we've had could be friendly with their rivals - GW Bush with the Obamas, McCain and Obama, Reagan and O'Neill, etc.

People calling themselves Christians will absolutely destroy their credibility as followers of Christ to those they might want to convert, and will risk destroying the faith of their children by pretending Trump is something he is not. Look at what we have lost already in Christianity by the despicable acts done historically in the name of the church. How powerful when people in those instances stood up for their principles.

• HappyDad Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 5, 2017 2:54 p.m.

A big chunk of those who believe in "once-saved-always-saved" has embraced Trump and stated that there is no way he could lose their support. Maybe it's a mindset? I mean, Trump did get "saved" during the election--it was in the news. So that's a done deal, right?

Not for me. Nothing is guaranteed. We've got to vigilantly fight to preserve our freedom, values, and civilization--which are all eroding rapidly under the current and past administrations. Trump may have some good points in his agenda, but there's a lot of terrible stuff he and his administration have done. His example is decimating Christian values, universal brotherhood, and common decency--"saved" or not.

• Tighty-Whities Draper, UT
    Dec. 5, 2017 2:07 p.m.

@UtahBlueDevil

Well stated. It is unfathomable how quickly people will agree with someone who actually represents everything they have previously stood against...just because that person wears the party colors.

• Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2017 1:27 p.m.

I guess the ends justify the means for many Evangelical Christians.

Maybe the thinking is that if God needs someone truly terrible to bring about a United States theocracy or even better, the biblical end-times, then perhaps Trump is God's perfect tool.
    I mean, he's definitely someone's tool (hey Vlad!), but is he God's tool?

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 5, 2017 12:25 p.m.

add Mormons to the list of supporters -- check the polling.

• Kim Cedar Park, Texas
    Dec. 5, 2017 12:12 p.m.

I don't get how the evangelical folks could reject Mitt Romney and embrace Trump. And then how a third of them would support him no matter what he said. Mistifiing!

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Dec. 5, 2017 11:48 a.m.

White evangelicals stand out because of their strong support for the president, the article says.
    That is a very telling statistic. Read the Billy Bush editorial. Listen to the tape, uncensored, again. Anyone who doesn't agree with these people is accused of not having values. If that is the case, I'm proud of it.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Dec. 5, 2017 11:18 a.m.

You know.... as much as I don't like Trump... I get Trump. It takes a person of substantial ego to run for President of the United States. That is a given. We tried a humble man - Carter - and it didn't work. He wasn't able to lead through tough times. So while I wouldn't ever vote for Trump, I get him, and understand why some are attracted to his New Yorker elitist bravado.

What I don't get, and who has lost all credibility in my mind, are evangelicals. For a group who shunned Mormons as not being Christian enough to now embrace a man who has not only talked about Women in the most crude ways, but also acted in such ways, a man who lies like it was a fine wine to be savored, I don't get their full arms embrace of the man. He represents nothing evangelical. Their embrace is most puzzling.

I get making the focus of looking out for America. I would expect the Canadian president to do likewise. Doesn't bug me. I get getting immigration under control. Bush tried, and was rebuffed. This is more than building a wall.... so I get that as well. Not opposed to all of Trumps agenda. But I am opposed to the lying.... and tweeting..... and dividing the nation.

• MrLogic Brigham City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2017 10:57 a.m.

We have to be careful with making too many assumptions based on statistics like these. For example, when we meet a white evangelical we may assume they are a supporter of President Trump - but nearly 1 in 4 disapprove of him. That's a pretty significant number of people.