U. study: Just 6% of Americans with high-deductible health plans negotiate prices

• MacD slc, UT
    Dec. 5, 2017 9:08 p.m.

Most people feel uncomfortable talking price with their doctors.
    It is a cultural thing.
    I will negotiate anything and especially high priced health procedures.
    It saves me thousands of dollars.

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    Dec. 5, 2017 2:28 p.m.

Why does this "study" read like Obamacare apologetics from a bunch of liberals? With fake percentages to boot.

I've been down that path with patient advocates/liaisons/obudsmen and got nowhere. My wife had an ER bill that was $4,100. After three months we paid it. Then our insurance company finally sent their determination that the bill was worth $2,600, but we were responsible since the deductible wasn't met.

Logically, we overpaid by $1,500. We wanted that money back. The hospital refused.

Moral: Don't pay your doctor bills in a timely manner. Make 'em wait.

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2017 1:15 p.m.

I would take a plan with a $25k deductable and a lower monthly because that is just as out of reach as $10k for a healthy family.

If you have a catastrophic event then you can have an accident policy to help cover it.

But paying $1,000 plus a month to get nothing but a few cheap discounts on over priced services and then still have a $10k deductible is crazy.

We are getting fleeced to pay for these silly hospitals to buy Epic software for $200 million and over pay their executives.

This whole system is so much worse for normal families since the ACA. Period. Whomever is supporting the ACA is either Poor and unhealthy or on the take!

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2017 12:02 p.m.

My first year on a true HSA, I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm coming out ahead of where I'd be had I chosen the low deductible PPO plan my employer offered. And each time I have to pay a bill I ask what adjustments the provider can make since I'm paying out of pocket...I've only had one provider say there were no further adjustments. I typically get 20%-25% off. If I were PPO I'd have paid 20% of the total until I hit my deductible. And now I've got $2k in my HSA that will travel forward with me, money that would have been sucked up by my PPO premiums.

HSA was a HUGE learning and expectation curve for me but I'm much more happy with it after 1 year of growing pains.

• MrLogic Brigham City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2017 11:00 a.m.

Remember that Intermountain Healthcare is Utah's largest employer. It's an enormous bureaucracy. My doctor doesn't know how much procedures cost. That's done at a different level than him, but I can't talk to the person who makes the decision - I get a very nice secretary instead. Unfortunately, she has no power to negotiate with me.

So I agree with EDM: How, exactly, are we supposed to negotiate?

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Dec. 5, 2017 8:39 a.m.

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Medical pricing is an embarrassment. Is the article suggesting we treat the profession like a necklace at a flea market?

Besides, the system is upside down. If you have a car wreck, you can talk to the mechanic and he will do a deal if you are paying for the repair yourself. But, if it is covered by your insurance company, the price goes up. Not in medicine. It's the opposite.

One of the lies of Obamacare was that they would save us money by monitoring costs. The insurance companies have been practicing managed care for 40 years, telling doctors what they would pay and how many days a person could stay in the hospital. They were already taking deep discounts. Government regulations would do no better.

The system is a joke. Whenever government is involved, the price goes up.

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    Dec. 5, 2017 8:24 a.m.

Medical care, most especially that of an emergency nature, ought not be negotiated.

• For what it is worth Grantsville, UT
    Dec. 5, 2017 8:10 a.m.

About eleven years ago my son debated over continuing college or enlisting in the military. He waited too long to begin classes. Since he was no longer a student he did not qualify to be on my policy and had a lapse in coverage.

That was when his appendix put him in the hospital. There were complications. His bills were $15,000. We wrote a letter to the hospital and doctors. Charges were reduced to $5500 and a payment plan was set up. My suggestion to readers is "Explain your situation. , Ask for assistance."

• What in Tucket Provo, UT
    Dec. 5, 2017 6:58 a.m.

In the past discussing one's fee with a doctor, hospital, imaging center, laboratory, etc. just wasn't done very often. Introducing market forces with high deductibles, health savings accounts and such is change and change is hard for us to handle. In time we will see more people inquiring about prices. Facilities should display a representative menu like other businesses.

• EDM Castle Valley, Utah
    Dec. 5, 2017 2:30 a.m.

Negotiate prices? How?

I was charged for two separate surgeries when I had only one, and I had to sue in court to get my deductible back. The fraudulent provider wasn’t about to negotiate with me.