Special report: Most Americans say biggest problems facing families are economic, but Trump voters don't agree

• What in Tucket Provo, UT
    Dec. 4, 2017 8:12 a.m.

The best help families can get and the best welfare program is a robust economy. Under Obama with 22,000 new regulations it is easy to see why we had a sluggish economy. With removal of many of those regulations the economy is doing much better. With removal of family penalties in the welfare laws that could help achieving more families in the inner cities.
    Democrats love central planning for the economy the favorite of socialists and communists. It doesn't and cannot work.

• EscherEnigma Ridgecrest, CA
    Nov. 27, 2017 10:21 a.m.

Still waiting for an explanation for why *my* marriage is a "difficulty" for anyone other then my in-laws.

• dolce et decorum est Murray, UT
    Nov. 20, 2017 3:08 p.m.

Family values guide my politics. Over the last eight years, my political views have undergone dramatic change. Neoliberal economic policies, arbitrarily redirecting the fruits of everyone’s labor to the top; the twenty-four-seven demands of the resultant work environment; the growing, all-but-inescapable economic necessity to subject both parents to these demands; the ever-lurking disruptive change and obsolescence that respect no prediction as to their next victim; the treatment of housing as a get-rich-quick vehicle, making it cost-prohibitive for young families—these, and many other economic issues, threaten traditional family stability far more than click-bait culture war issues. I maintain a traditional stance on family and marriage. I can easily teach my children my values on these issues. I am more at a loss in the face of an economy that pays less and less attention to hard work, preparation, and efforts to benefit society than to perpetuating the returns on vested financial interests. At first I felt lonely in these realizations. I feel less lonely all the time. It is nice to see the media catching up to the new realities for families.

• Thomas Jefferson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 20, 2017 10:12 a.m.

Trump voters are quite the enigma. They claim to be so worried about 'the family' but they arent worried about their own family, they seem to be very worried that 'your' family isnt living how they want. Of course if your family is starving, they dont seem to care. But if your family doesnt hate on immigrants, attend a region they approve of, or ignore sex education as they do, then they care. All this while crying 'freedom' when it comes to how much billionaires pay in taxes and ignoring the debt which just one year ago was a huge problem.

But they what do we expect from trump voters? Definitely not nuanced and well thought out positions, thats for sure.

• Yuge Opportunity Here Mapleton, UT
    Nov. 17, 2017 7:50 a.m.

This could be fun.
    In the age of Bush, mortgage rates fell.
    In the age of Bush, my 401k lost 25% of its value.
    In the age of Bush, the government sent everyone a check for $600...and the trade deficit soared as people bought flat screens and notebooks.

In the age of Obama, my 401k dropped another 25%...then slowly came back to pre-2006 value.
    In the age of Obama, it took me 3 years to find a new job.
    In the age of Obama, my new normal salary was $35k, not $65k.
    In the age of Obama, my health insurance premium went from $800/month to $1,800 and my deductible from $1k to $6k.

In the age of Trump, my 401k is returning 19.4% in one year.

Is this the family impact we are studying?

Who wants to move on the the impact of same-sex marriage?

• Yuge Opportunity Here Mapleton, UT