Bergdahl spared any prison time, gets dishonorable discharge

• rexwhitmer ELFRIDA, AZ
    Nov. 6, 2017 4:03 p.m.

Bergdal deserted his post in a time of war. Previous to Obama, that would have been at least a few years in prison. When I was in the service it was the firing squad. He laid down his weapon and took as much of his uniform off as he could and turned himself in to the Taliband. Traitor and coward! What's with you guys? Do you really think that you'd have been happier with crooked Hillary as President? She and Bill have stolen everything they could. Stripped the White House when they left, occupy a home supplied by George Soros a traitor to his own country. Oh he also provided one for Obama! The tail of disappearing or dead associates continues to rise .

• panner50 Meadow, UT
    Nov. 4, 2017 10:37 a.m.

I can't believe all you liberals blaming someone else besides Bergdahl. He and he alone deserted his post and was supposedly captured by the Taliban. Six men got killed while looking for him but I am sure you liberals will blame someone else for their deaths. Then Obama trades five terrorists and who knows how many millions of dollars for his release.Then Obama tried to make him look like a war hero. The man should get life in prison

• Million Riverton, UT
    Nov. 4, 2017 9:28 a.m.

If I had been the judge I would have sentenced him to time served, but still a sentence. But I was not the judge. Only know what the injured soldiers said who went to rescue the deserter. The decision makes a mockery of military responsibility and society responsibly. But that seems to be going down hill also.

• terra nova Park City, UT
    Nov. 4, 2017 9:21 a.m.

"President Donald Trump, whose campaign-trail criticism loomed over the case, quickly called the sentence a "disgrace."

As if he knew anything about "grace."

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Nov. 4, 2017 7:52 a.m.

The White House Mouth does it again.

I long for January 20, 2021. It can't come soon enough.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Nov. 4, 2017 7:25 a.m.

For all the comments that he saw 5 years confinement at the hands of the Taliban I ask you who I say who caused that.

And the same person responsible for that is also responsible for the deaths and injuries of those who had to search for this I quote what Pres. Trump said.

• military mom Herriman, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 10:22 p.m.

I have been repulsed, flabbergasted and underwhelmed with the majority of the president's remarks made during his campaign and presidency, but none have disgusted me as much as those associated with this case. "He's a dirty rotten traitor and should be shot." This from a pampered draft dodger who couldn't remember which of his feet had the illusive bone spur which prevented him from serving (and remember that Trump just claimed that he had one of the greatest memories of all time). One wonders how long Trump would have lasted had he been caged and beaten for five years as was Bergdahl. Bravo for the judge who ignored the president's rantings and made his decision based on the case. After Trump's outrageous remarks regarding John McCain, his abhorrent behavior toward Myeshia Johnson, and now his insults regarding military justice, maybe one of "his" generals should muzzle him when it comes to military matters where he has no experience, knowledge or credibility.

• worf McAllen, TX
    Nov. 3, 2017 10:11 p.m.

Has Bergdahl done anything different than some of our football players?

Justice is not consistent.

• Husker2 Walla Walla, WA
    Nov. 3, 2017 6:54 p.m.

I’m happy for Bergdahl. Now he can get to work on a book and make millions. Good for him. Maybe he’ll dedicate it to the people who tried to rescue him.

When I was in the Air Force, a guy in my squadron deserted from our base in West Germany and was captured going from Denmark to Sweden. It wasn’t wartime and nobody was hurt or killed looking for him. He got 12 years in a military prison and was released after 8 years. Bergdahl got a very favorable deal.

• my_two_cents_worth university place, WA
    Nov. 3, 2017 5:41 p.m.

@at long last

“We used to shoot deserters in time of war.”

Are sure? In WWII there were 20,000 desertions but only one execution for desertion abd that was the first since the Civil War.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 5:10 p.m.

He did get prison time, he spent several years in Taliban prison.

• majmajor Layton, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 4:31 p.m.

at long last. . . - Kirksville , MO
    Nov. 3, 2017 3:31 p.m.
    "The Bergdahl discharge without further prison time is a total travesty. I have lost a whole lot of respect for the UCMJ and the current military system of justice."

You are right. The private should have done prison time, but it wasn't the fault of the UCMJ; it is the fault of the chain-of-command. Specifically, it is the fault of the twitter-in-chief.

This case proves that UCMJ works, even WITH unjustified, idiotic and premeditated undue command influence by the President. Blame the Trump for his lack of self control, or command objectivity.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Nov. 3, 2017 3:31 p.m.

Anti-Trump - In answer to your question, yes, I did serve in the Army for two years and in addition, I spent several months in a military hospital due to injuries suffered while serving. I also have had significant problems related to those injuries throughout the following half century I have lived.

• majmajor Layton, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 2:46 p.m.

The private is lucky that we have the dump-Trump for the twitter-in-chief. If Trump could/would have kept his mouth closed, the private would have been doing prison.

This is a prime example of undue command influence in the UCMJ, and the judge had to cushion the sentence to maintain the integrity of the military justice system. The judge had the courage to do the right thing, and shut Trump down. If one doesn't like the sentence, blame the dump-Trump.

The judge is a hero in my book.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 2:36 p.m.

Re: FT - salt lake city, UT

You can try to run from the truth but you can't hide from it. In 2015, Obama tried to cover Bergdahl in the glory of a war hero by inviting his parents to the Rose Garden to celebrate the news of his release. The former president maintained he only freed five Taliban leaders to free a soldier who, in the words of his National Security Adviser Susan Rice, served “the United States with honor and distinction.”

• mcclark Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 2:24 p.m.

@Rifleman That is an outrageous lie, Obama never said that.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Nov. 3, 2017 2:16 p.m.

This is why we have a system of due process instead of leaving it to the mercy of the mob. The sentence will certainly be controversial. But it's fair and just.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Nov. 3, 2017 2:09 p.m.

Can't disagree with the ruling. I don't know enough. Specifically, to what degree was Bergdahl mentally culpable? When people simply do not fully understand the consequences of their actions, I have trouble with throwing them in jail and throwing the key away. To me, that is a miscarriage of justice.

Further, I cannot agree with every mentally challenged person being released into the general public. But, I have to trust the judge's judgment on Bergdahl.

I also have trouble with the US military accepting every mentally challenged person, many who may later on put fellow service-members at risk. This is apparently exactly what happened here.

• airnaut Everett, WA
    Nov. 3, 2017 2:05 p.m.

Utah Soldier - Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 1:06 p.m.

WOW!!!

Totally disappointed at the sentence. There should have been at least some prison time included.

=========

USAF veteran,

WOW!

Totally appropriate sentence.
    The guy spent 5 years getting the cuss beat out of him in an Taliban camp.

He might have gotten a hasher sentence, but the Judge himself stated he could not / would not based on the previous comments made by Trump.

Speaking of Trump --
    Tweet of the day:

"The decision on Sergeant Bergdahl is a complete and total disgrace to our Country and to our Military" ~ Trump

This from the man who obviously does not realize that this was
    Military Court Martial,
    in a Military Court,
    comprised entirely of Military personnel,
    including the Military Judge.

Trump is essence calling our Military -- "a complete and total disgrace to our Country and to our Military".

• TeachyMcTeacherPants Sandy, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 1:57 p.m.

I think Donald Trump, a man whose "bone spurs" kept him out of every war, should keep quiet on anything military.

This comments section is rabid and disgusting.

• SMcloud Sandy, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 1:53 p.m.

He's been kept in a cage in the dark, tortured and used as a political football.

He is a human being and the courts have spoken. Leave this man alone.

• Anti-Trump Everett, WA
    Nov. 3, 2017 1:50 p.m.

@at long last. . . - Kirksville , MO
    Nov. 3, 2017 9:01 a.m.

People should be enraged that the prosecutors are only asking for 14 years. This traitor deserves life in prison and nothing less. We used to shoot deserters in time of war.

======

Have you ever served in the military?

As a veteran, I get enraged when chickhawks [those who don't serve, but always have something to say about it] have their flags and sing their songs, and then complain endlessly about others who at least signed up and put some skin in the game...

• barfolomew Tooele, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 1:50 p.m.

@ FT

"Trumpsters know little about sacrifice or what's truly made our military and country great."

Now you're voice is coming from somewhere behind you.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 1:30 p.m.

@barthfolomew
    Exactly, Obama never said or claimed he was a hero. Just another right wing talking point that is nothing but propaganda & full of baloney. Bergdahl deserted his post, and spent 5 years imprisoned and got dishonorably discharged. His dishonorable discharge was consistent with others who did the same. Obama fulfilled the creed of the military about leaving no man behind whether it was a war hero like McCain (sorry Trump but he is) or a deserter like Bergdahl. Trumpsters know little about sacrifice or what's truly made our military and country great.

• mcclark Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 1:31 p.m.

So this guy joined the Coast Guard and was kicked out because he had mental problems. The Army was desperate for soldiers because of Bush's wars. So the Army took him, what could go wrong? Well, plenty.

• barfolomew Tooele, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 1:08 p.m.

@ dave4197

"Never Trump!"

A little late to the party, don't ya think?

• Utah Soldier Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 1:06 p.m.

WOW!!!

This sends the wrong message to future soldiers who may contemplate the same actions as Bergdahl.

Today, Military Justice became a misnomer. So sad.

• barfolomew Tooele, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 1:05 p.m.

@ FT

Obama himself may not have utter the words, but his administration speaks for him.

Susan Rice, Obama's National Security Advisor said he had served “the United States with honor and distinction."

He had his parents come to the White House Rose Garden for a
    "pat me on the back for bringing your son home" circus attraction.
    His father spoke to his son in Afghani with Obama standing next to him for Pete's sake.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Nov. 3, 2017 12:51 p.m.

____________________
    Another safe Trump reaction. At least he didn't say something idiotic this time.

• dave4197 Redding, CA
    Nov. 3, 2017 12:40 p.m.

A fair sentence!
    I am a Viet Nam vet, I served in the military at my country's call, and I am liking this fair verdict today. Been a while.
    The Trump guy, who complained loudly on twitter about the military judge's decision, should not now expect blind obedience to his crazy orders. I'm not with the pack who voted for this cartoon of a commander in chief. Never Trump!

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 12:38 p.m.

@Rifleman
    Please cite one documented example of where or when President Obama called Bergdahl a hero?

• barfolomew Tooele, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 12:23 p.m.

Man, have things changed. Stories like this kinda make me glad I'm on the downhill side of my life. I don't know what I'd do if I had 60 or 70 more years of this kind of a world to look forward to.

Let's see:

"Bowe Bergdahl, the soldier who walked off his post in Afghanistan and triggered a search that left several comrades severely wounded..."

We used to shoot deserters in wartime.

"Bergdahl "is grateful to everyone who searched for him in 2009, especially those who heroically sustained injuries,""

I'll bet that makes them feel so much better.

"The argument for leniency also cited harsh campaign-trail criticism by Trump."

What!?! Trump bashing him makes what he did less egregious? How?

"A psychiatrist testified that his decision to leave his post was influenced by a schizophrenia-like condition called schizotypal personality disorder that made it hard to understand the consequences of his actions, as well as post-traumatic stress disorder brought on partly by a difficult childhood."

My childhood was no piece of cake, either. Does that exempt me from punishment for my actions, too?

"...Bergdahl a traitor who deserved serious punishment."

Amen, Mr. Trump. Amen.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 10:44 a.m.

Time off for good behavior? Not bad for someone who deserted his post and destroyed lives as a result. At least he got a warm welcome home from Obama who called him a hero.

• Br. Jones East Coast, MD
    Nov. 3, 2017 10:23 a.m.

I feel like some prison time would have been appropriate. Bergdahl unquestionably suffered at the hands of his Taliban captors, but desertion should never go unanswered.

A larger question (and one examined a bit in the Serial podcast): how in the world was Bergdahl allowed to re-enlist with a known mental illness, after having been discharged by the Coast Guard for the same issue? He should never have been accepted, and even if accepted for duty should never have been deployed.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO