A lot of people are leaving New Mexico, and that could be a problem

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    Aug. 13, 2017 8:39 a.m.

I spent a little over a year living in Taos and working in Questa NM. It was like moving to another country. I had a hard time with the very wealthy having a million dollar home next door to a very poverty stricken family living in a broken trailer house.

• heidi ho Fort Collins, CO
    Aug. 12, 2017 10:09 p.m.

We lived in Albuquerque for 10 years and quite frankly, I couldn't wait to leave. Our home was burglarized while there, the property values didn't go up much and the culture was stagnant as in, very little "spirit" was there. It is sad to say but New Mexico is pretty spiritless.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    Aug. 12, 2017 9:41 p.m.

To "at long last" - this should irk you. I love NM, and I cherish my memories of Kirksville as well. The drive from Shiprock to Bloomington takes one through strange little burgs such as Water Flow and Fruitland and furnishes the view of that rock hulk for which Shiprock was named. There is real atmosphere there. If you go off the beaten track you can see arches and ruins, and vast acreages of grain. You can visit places of incredible mystery.

The drive from Kirksville to Memphis also has great atmosphere. Highway 11 provides the roller coaster drive through Adair and on to Baring, then head up north to Greensburg over rivers and creeks past nostalgic farm of green sorghum and golden wheat. Memphis has the Downing House Museum, a place of amazing history and a Pheasant Aircraft. As for Kirksville itself, what a neat small city. I think I'll head for NE MO again via NM. It will be a circuitous route.

And to those who think political trends stink in NM. You are so right! NM needs a bunch of new arrivals to turn the tide and bring common sense to those who think government can solve problems.

• libs think what??? Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 3:04 p.m.

NM is in the shape it's in because the dems have been in control for so long. Yes, the current gov is GOP, but the legislature is dem as are most local govts.

I've heard in order to have any political input there you have to join the dem party, but are not allowed to stray too far from their platform regardless of how repugnant you find it.

I'll take Utah and its condition (thanks in part to a dominant gop) over NM and its poor condition (thanks to dominant dems) any day of the week

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Aug. 12, 2017 9:26 a.m.

Much of New Mexico is a nasty place. Especially Ship Rock to Bloomington. I think anyone leaving NM is wise. I have left it several times and have never had any regrets whatsoever. True, I was just driving through, but still no regrets. Make sure you have enough gas in your car to make the state line.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    Aug. 11, 2017 9:12 p.m.

I ran out of word space to extol all the benefits of living in NM. It truly is the Land of Enchantment. When we left I tried to persuade my husband to purchase a little adobe house in Folsom, NM (where there is a fantastic museum, and little else), but he didn't buy that idea. So instead, I find excuses to return to NM whenever I can. When he had a consulting job at an abandoned mine site, we visited the area, and soaked in views of weird formations, deep gulches, and pastoral scenes of grazing cows just off I-40 in a place that has no publicity at all. Much of NM is that way, beauty of a hard to explain variety. I can't imagine that the present trend will remain. Companies will discover NM and provide jobs and the word will circulate that NM, with all its problems and skewed economics, is still a great place to be. I am going to figure out a way to return for a visit before summer is over!

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    Aug. 11, 2017 9:05 p.m.

I lived in Albq for seven years. We left because my husband retired from a great job at UNM, and we needed to help my elderly parents. I have missed my home on Shepard Road (NE Albq) more than I can ever express. Yes, crime is rampant there. My next door neighbor suffered from lung problems because he was stabbed in his own home (but emergency response was great, and neighbors provided excellent first response).

The schools are a disaster. I was a substitute teacher so I didn't have to be there all the time, and could travel to help in nearby CO. There were excellent teachers in the system, but politics and craziness from administrators made school life tough, and crime impacted the schools too. I couldn't handle the problems in the middle schools at all (gangs, drugs, violence). However, there are private school options, and I knew many families whose children did well in the public schools in spite of all the problems.

In Albq, you can find virtually every kind of business imaginable, and New Mexican food is incredible. I knew a man who had a little shop where he repaired luggage. He was very busy. Maybe he was repairing suitcases for people fleeing the state...

• jalapenochomper albuquerque, NM
    Aug. 11, 2017 7:59 p.m.

NM mom is right, both the root cause of both education and crime is due to nutty local politics. But we are not the only place with drug problems and kids find it easier to shine.

If you play a long game, there is so much opportunity here.

Albuquerque has better weather than Phoenix, more affordable housing than Denver or Salt Lake, lower property taxes than Dallas, and the mountain is close. It is large enough to have anything you want or need, but far from the megacities that surround us. Not everyone looks like they came out of the same blonde copy machine.

For LDS, there is a critical mass of 5 stakes, an underused temple, and you are close enough visit Grandma for Thanksgiving. LDS youth seem to watch out for each other and I think there is less negative peer pressure within them. Bonus, local restaurants are cheap and flavorful. As a virtual employee that could live where I wanted I never regretted moving here. When I moved back to an office, I found less competition for my skillset, which has led to a significant improvement in pay. Easier to support a stay at home mom when housing is 1/2.

But please don't tell any Californians about this place.

• NMmomof6 Cedar Crest, NM
    Aug. 11, 2017 5:29 p.m.

I live in New Mexico, a mom of 6 children. 2 easy reasons this particular demographic is leaving --
    Quality of Education and Crime.

The Public Education system has great teachers, who are unable to deliver a well rounded education due to budget constraints and unrealistic teaching standards/tests. This is a direct result of an administratively top heave school system and corrupt PED. Those who can afford the tuition, mostly send their children to private schools - and there are plenty of them around if you are willing to pay to upwards of $8,000 or more in tuition per child per year.

Public Safety is an issue in any of the major cities (Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Las Cruces). The amount of crime in all of these cities has become unbearable for many, so they choose to move. Take a look at the news for any of these cities, or the crime statistics, and the amount of loss due to burglary, theft, carjacking, assault, etc. is almost overwhelming. Once a person chooses to move, it is just as easy to move to another state than to move an extra 15-20 minutes away from the crime.

If New Mexico would clean house and fix these 2 issues, many more families would stay.

• Fortynater Albuquerque, NM
    Aug. 11, 2017 3:17 p.m.

Interesting that an article first appearing in USA Today about NM now appears in a Utah newspaper. I expect there are lots of New Mexicans who read USA Today, so why the repeat in the D-News? I suppose a fair number of LDS New Mexicans read the D-News, like me; however, this sure seems like a thinly veiled encouragement for New Mexicans to migrate to its fellow four-corner state. NM is a wonderful place to live and work. I am not blind to the problems we have here. I am proud of the incredible people trying to solve problems and make NM better. And, the good people in NM are not merely laboratory rats to provide experimental data for the rest of the USA. We are real people, with real families. My family and I moved to NM 16 years ago and have loved it. I don't begrudge people for leaving NM because it isn't easy, but the best days in NM are yet to be.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Aug. 11, 2017 1:02 p.m.

New Mexico can provide a laboratory to test the best way to deal with population skewed toward the aged that cannot do productive work in the latter years of their lives. Could provide valuable data for the US as a whole.

Once Trump is out of office, New Mexico might look to the south for an influx of fresh, young workers to support their aging population.