5 reasons St. George is America's fastest-growing city

• 3rdlook St. George, UT
    Sept. 29, 2018 12:29 p.m.

BRING YOUR JOB WITH YOU...Jobs here in St. George only pay $10 an Hr. My wife has a Masters Degree and 5 years experience, the best she could do is $11.50 hr. She knows 5 teachers that commute together daily to Mesquite to teach school. There are no jobs here do your due diligence.

• wa1den Sandy, UT
    Sept. 24, 2018 1:32 a.m.

Personally, though I think there are a lot of incredible things to enjoy all over Utah (and St. George/southern Utah is no exception), when it comes to retiring somewhere, I find it much more interesting to consider retiring to someplace like Mexico (my personal preference), or other Latin American locations, which offer WAY LOWER cost of living and some incredible places to enjoy. Doing as the birdies do and "going south for the winter" would be a great option. Additionally, down in those places, the cost of medical attention is a fraction of what it is up here in the U.S. where we have the highest cost for medical attention of any place on the planet (so I understand - if I'm wrong, tell where the cost is higher). Mexico/Latin America is reasonably close, especially by air, and you can just follow the good weather, and see and do incredible things at both ends (both in Utah and "south of the border"). Retirement dollars will go a heck of a lot farther down that way, as a large number of Americans, Canadians & Europeans are quickly discovering. Why not get the best of both worlds? (you can in fact enjoy both worlds)

• golong Washington, UT
    Sept. 23, 2018 11:44 a.m.

I live in St George and "the people" have not ruined anything here, they have changed some things, but people don't ruin anything. Environmentalists tend to not want any people other than themselves on this Earth. It doesn't work that way.

• Flipphone Sandy, UT
    Sept. 14, 2018 8:40 a.m.

People will destroy what is wonderful about St. George. No different than Moab, and Park City.

• swartzy1 Dallas, TX
    Sept. 14, 2018 5:44 a.m.

I used to live in Phoenix, until I married a Texan. They don't let you leave. I love the scenery in and around St. George, but as I get older I do not want weather that warm. It stays warm too long . I live near Dallas, out in the country, and wouln't trade that for the warmness and mountains. I miss the mountains, but I have greenery many months of the year, and even in winter, my land looks nice. I garden, I love being outside and have adjusted to this part of Texas really well Maybe if I were younger, much younger, I am 73, I might look at it, for a seasonal home, but not full time. As it is now, I can go visit all of you there, and then come back to my Urban home here with hundreds of trees and a small creek. But have fun out there.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    Sept. 13, 2018 10:30 a.m.

St. George is a beautiful city with much to recommend it. However, for retirees, I'd suggest smaller communities. Driving around in St. George is much more challenging than in many other smaller southern Utah places. Cost of procuring a home or apartment is also higher than in smaller towns. Not for all the amenities of St. George would I live there. For me it is a place to visit.