BYU's NCAA 'Sunday' accommodation, weather end up being a nightmare

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    May 29, 2018 10:46 a.m.

Dick, observance of the Sabbath Day is not designed to enhance your golf score. You're missing out if you think so.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 28, 2018 7:24 p.m.

@top of the world
    @Deep Blue

TOTW, I "liked" your comment and totally agree. However, I don't see how it applies to my comment (Please show me otherwise.)

Here is what I said, "This article caused me to think...." There was no implication it had anything to do with what anyone else said...etc. (Actually when I said that I was quite surprised that a Harmon article led to me think more in depth! I believe this should happen more often!) When BYU played the Thursday round never did I think about a golf rules authority and an official scorer needed. This led me to think of other consequences that I believe result from BYU's no play on Sunday policy. (Note: Deep Blue - I did not "mock" BYU or their personal beliefs. (I defended their right to do so for 3 years in the Viet Naum War era!) What I hoped to say was BYU has the right; however, others do not have to suffer as a result. They may choose to do so but that must be their choice. I guess in your mind because I identified some of these consequences you claim I am "whining" So be it and play your "religious bigot" card. As an active member in my faith, I just smile and know that card does not trump mine!)

• top of the world ,
    May 28, 2018 4:18 p.m.

Who Am I Sir? Let's see, you seem to be drawing the conclusion that because 'someone' commented on the unfairness of having the Y team play a round of golf alone, this comment needs to be attributed not to he/she who offered the comment, but to BYU, the Church, the players or the coaches.

Too many of those who are obviously anything but Y fans treat comments as if they were proof-read by the First Presidency, the President of BYU or at least those in the Athletic Director's Office. Those who analyze comments in this manner are as wrong as wrong can be. Pro-Y commenters are offering their personal opinions, most of which have no factual base.

Good day!

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    May 28, 2018 3:30 p.m.

Having grown up in Missouri with uniform Blue laws and only filling stations open on Sunday, it is refreshing to have those laws revoked. Many folks wanted to not slavishly follow the more restricted religionists, but be able to enjoy Sundays when they desired with something other than church and visiting relatives.

Obviously some have taken this idea to extremes. Others, like several comments here, don't want others to live life the way they want to. . . Thankfully, they don't totally control Utah and the rest of the country. Just keep your religion to yourselves and leave the rest of us alone, please.

• poundwagon South Jordan, UT
    May 28, 2018 1:13 p.m.

It is sad that the NCAA has made the jump to holding championship-related games, matches, rounds, events on Sundays. Unfortunately, our society is moving toward the day when the policies governing intercollegiate athletics just don't work for BYU given its mission statement. I am sure that makes many readers overjoyed. Such an attitude fails to miss what the loss of Christian values means for the future of our country given the purpose for which it was founded by people who respected God and came to America to freely practice their Christian beliefs.

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    May 28, 2018 12:06 p.m.

Who am I sir?

Anyone who mocks another person or organization for "living their religion" or who whines about an organization's religious beliefs being accommodated by another organization is a religious bigot.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 28, 2018 7:19 a.m.

The beggar in Fiddler on the roof said You've had a bad day. So why should I suffer?

This article caused me to think of some of the implications to both BYU and others due to BYU's "no play on Sunday" policy. "...accompanied by an official scorer and a rules official." That means one additional day, and costs, for these individuals. And what about the golf course? That means an additional day for tournament play. What about others ie. broadcast coverage/film etc. for possible replay during regular coverage?
    Consider these and possible other effects in golf and other sports resulting from one school's self imposed policy. As mentioned: facilities: stadium, court, pool, etc. Administrative costs: One extra day for all. Costs to all participants: ie. fans, players, universities, etc. - extra time from school, away from work, travel, accommodations, etc. effect on scheduling: more/or less time between this event and other scheduled events affects preparation etc.
    These are just some of the consequences. Yes many affect BYU as well as others; however, it is a result on only BYU's policy. So again, why should I suffer? Think conference affiliation!

• Just stay healthy San Clemente, CA
    May 27, 2018 5:21 p.m.

Football, Baseball, Basketball, Softball, Volleyball and now Golf....I do think BYU will win the 10.000 meters in track and field with 4 qualifications....but the nice guy image, find your wife while at the Y and tone down the killer instinct has become a disease of losing and sub par play. Get out and see how real D 1 athletes play the game.... they get in your face, knock your teeth out and don't help you up. It's real. Utah will always own BYU in Football because coach Whit knows this...he knows they can't handle the heat in the fire....instead they settle for being average and sadly enough believe it's good enough. You see it in every sports program the Y has.

• cityboy Farmington, UT
    May 27, 2018 3:49 p.m.

Just wow. In golf it's called "the rub of the green". Sometimes those who tee off in the morning suffer much worse weather conditions than those who tee off in the afternoon. If that's the case, they would be well-served to not complain about how they were disadvantaged.

It seems to me that BYU has two choices to make: 1) continue with the accommodation that the NCAA has generously provided but then don't complain about the accommodation not exactly being to the Cougars' taste; or 2) don't take the accommodation thereby forfeiting the chance for its golf team to even compete but thereafter have a mythical national championship banner made proclaiming that the Cougars would have won had they been able to compete on a level playing field.

• Chris from Rose Park Hartford, CT
    May 27, 2018 2:47 p.m.

A lot of people seem to assume the article was written with a complaining tone. It's not how I read it. I thought it was an interesting article describing how the NCAA accommodation works. It's not inherently complaining to point out that BYU really struggled in the round used to score the Sunday round. It's also not inherently complaining to point out some of the differences between that round and others where they scored better. I'm not saying Harmon and the coach aren't complaining, because perhaps they are. I'm just saying the tone can be read a different way.

Harmon did write, "The no-Sunday-play accommodation for BYU by the NCAA championship committee has done the Cougars a big favor since it was instituted three years ago. On one hand, it is a worthy gesture by the NCAA to give BYU’s athletes a chance to compete because the LDS Church-sponsored school is not going to compete on Sundays period. This is fair." That's where I got the positive tone then.

Harmon does then go into how it's not necessarily an advantage. I can see how someone can read it as complaining, it's just not how it came across to me.

• CO Ute Chandler, AZ
    May 27, 2018 2:25 p.m.

Scores - you need to get a better definition of “unfair”. You should also look up accommodation in the dictionary.
    Playing alone on Thursday could be a real advantage if the weather was great and the Sunday round had massive wind gusts.
    BYU should find another school that won’t play on Sunday if they are concerned about playing alone. Otherwise quit complaining about a special situation made just for one school.

• IQ92 hi, UT
    May 27, 2018 1:39 p.m.

Not longer an issue for Bro. Fishburn; as a professional, he can play on Sundays all he wants.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 27, 2018 12:52 p.m.

"The Cougar team had to play alone, without competitors beside them, one player to a hole, accompanied by an official scorer and a rules official. ...If you play alone, you don’t see other players putt, thus gain a read or speed knowledge. You aren’t pushed by natural competitive head-to-head chemistry, a natural outbreak of a three or foursome format"

There you go, NCAA. You bend over backwards for one team and then find out, according to them, you have placed then they are at a disadvantage. Only fair way is to make no concession. Treat all teams the same. Then its up to them. Play or don't play.

• 1Reader Alpine, UT
    May 27, 2018 12:44 p.m.

Playing alone is a big disadvantage--but it's a small price to pay for Sabbath observance.

• Laxman taylorsville, UT
    May 27, 2018 11:47 a.m.

Poor BYU. They just can’t get a break.

• Lester L. Wester Henderson, NV
    May 27, 2018 11:38 a.m.

Scores: "It's unfair to BYU to play alone."

So the entire college sports world should bend to meet the special needs of BYU-P? It is entertaining to hear all of the excuses though. Can the margin of victory be applied to losses in golf?

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    May 27, 2018 10:36 a.m.

@let's roll

I agree. The NCAA doesn't have to do anything and you would think this article would be more appreciative of that. I can see where BYU gets the reputation of being difficult to deal with when their Golf Coach is complaining like this.

• Husker2 Apache Junction, AZ
    May 27, 2018 9:57 a.m.

I agree with Keyser. The NCAA accommodation either helps BYU or hurts them. In my opinion, there should be no accommodation in a sport like golf.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 27, 2018 9:30 a.m.

@cjd

Obsession...obsession.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    May 27, 2018 7:57 a.m.

As a Cougar, I thank the NCAA for allowing the players to honor their commitment as representatives of the University to not compete on Sunday.

All the rest is just noise.

• Keyser Sose American Fork, UT
    May 26, 2018 10:48 p.m.

Sounds to me like it could go either way: An advantage OR a disadvantage depending on the weather. This time it didn't go BYU's way. Next time it might. The NCAA is being more than fair in making the "Sunday Accommodation" available to BYU. Dick is right. It could backfire on them at some future tournament and they will have to deal with the flack. Sorry Scores but I don't buy the "playing alone" argument.

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    May 26, 2018 8:34 p.m.

These are not excuses. It's just what Dick says it is. It's unfair to BYU to play alone. Just ask any other team to do what this accommodation rule applies, and they wouldn't like it either. The whole format does not do BYU any favors. The NCAA golf tournament is not going to change the format, so a team like BYU, that doesn't compete on Sunday, basically has no chance to finish as a champion. But let's give credit where credit is due...this group of guys has performed well this season and qualified to be there...that's a lot more than most college teams in the country did.

Go Cougars!

• utahman19 Bountiful, UT
    May 26, 2018 8:12 p.m.

Wow Dick,
    The NCAA bends over backward to make a special accommodation for BYU and their "no play on Sunday" stance, and all you can do is whine and make excuses.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    May 26, 2018 7:34 p.m.

To quote Russell Larsen, byu basketball player, "It's not fair, it's just not fair." Surely the NCAA can do more than just merely make an "accommodation" for byu. How about subbing in their best scores of the tournament for the Sunday scores. See how fair that would be. . .then if that wasn't sufficient perhaps dropping the worst scores of the tournament. Now, that would be fair, right? Even Dick could support this, I think.

• cjd1 Draper, UT