How former BYU football player Nathan Meikle became a lawyer, author and Notre Dame-bound academic

• daver Provo, 00
    May 21, 2018 1:24 p.m.

Quickly becoming a fan of Nate.

My parents did this a lot; many nights on the couch with Mom or Dad reading children's books - Dad would impersonate each character in the story with a different voice, causing the story to truly come to life.

I and each of my siblings were consequently (and unintentionally) the best readers in school. This was one of the reasons Dad delayed buying a TV, until my teens; incredible foresight.

At 61 years old, I think this single thing plays the greatest role in my continuing intellectual development.

• Howard S. West Jordan, UT
    May 21, 2018 11:35 a.m.

No one writes a more uplifting article than Mr. Dick Harmon.

Thanks Dick.

Your inspirational profiles of BYU Cougar player... past and present... are pure joy.

You affirm my strong conviction that there is not another college football program in the country that prepares its players to excel beyond the realm of athletic competition better than BYU.

And why not? The Cougar values of honor, integrity and commitment embraced by these young men during their sojourn in Cougar blue naturally leads to unparalleled heights of success in whatever field they choose to pursue.

A fine young Cougar achieving uncommon success... as sure as the day follows the night... as sure as the day follows the night.

Now Dick... Its been a while since we had an update on the successes of Jimmer.

Just sayin'

• Thomas Thompson Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2018 4:38 a.m.

The underlying supposition of the article would appear to be that, if you're good at sports, you cannot also excel at academics. But I wonder if the opposite isn't true? If you're good at sports, it seems to me the likelihood is that you're more likely to excel in the other challenges that life throws at us.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 20, 2018 5:10 p.m.

Good example of why an education is so valuable when football ends.

• Lester L. Wester Henderson, NV
    May 20, 2018 11:09 a.m.

Nice story; he sounds like a great guy. Best of luck at Notre Dame.

• Floridacougfan Davenport, FL
    May 20, 2018 6:15 a.m.

I agree completely that reading to your children is essential. I didn't read that many books to my sons but both enjoy reading. My youngest is just finishing 5th grade and reads at a 12th grade level. I wasn't as ambitious as this gentleman and left most of the reading instruction to the school system. Read to you children and you will see results.

• LVCoug Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 20, 2018 6:07 a.m.

I served with Nate in Chile and let me tell you, none of this surprises me in the least. He was an amazing missionary, and anyone could tell then that he was going places.

Que te vaya bien, Mickle!