Yoeli Childs returning to BYU basketball team next season

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    May 17, 2018 8:55 p.m.

Uteology,

Collingsworth is playing in the NBA.

We all make mistakes, not a big deal, but this justification of the mistake does not add credibility.

We all make mistakes. Own it.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 17, 2018 12:13 p.m.

CougFaninTX - Spring, TX
    May 16, 2018 12:56 p.m.
    @ JD - "nobody from Provo is playing in the NBA". Fact check - Kyle Collinsworth is calling you.

------------

That's like saying David Stockton is playing in the NBA.

Collinsworth is not under contract, like David he’s going to have to fight to stay in the league.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    May 17, 2018 8:56 a.m.

Johnin SLC: the agency came in choosing between BYU and U of Minnesota. I have never regretted the choice to attend BYU. In choosing BYU, I freely chose to abide by it's honor code -- also a choice I have never regretted.

So, if it makes you feel better to tell me I was forced in these decisions -- that somehow I lost my agency -- you are certainly welcome to it. But I certainly don't recall any coercion on the part of BYU administration or church leaders.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    May 17, 2018 8:38 a.m.

"Really, You were confident and free to decide to let your hair grow, to not shave for a day or two, to wear shorts to a summer class, to grow your sideburns long, or walk to on the grass?"

I attended BYU, and there were definitely times I didn't shave for a day or two, or three. As for letting my hair grow long? I exercised my agency on that when I chose to enroll at BYU. I knew what the expectations were. I accepted them. I lived with them. How is that a "violation of agency?"

I knew plenty of people who had long sideburns when I was at the Y. They never had any problems.

And, yes, I absolutely walked on the grass. I always thought that campaign was a bit ridiculous. They talked about not cutting corners and all that stuff, ignoring the fact that the bare spots on the corners usually had tread marks in them. In other words, it was the maintenance trucks doing the damage, not students cutting across the lawns.

Ever attend BYU in the Spring and Summer? The lawns were immaculate, because, you know, it wasn't winter when grass is dead and covered by snow?

And I wore shorts to class all the time. Are you confusing BYU with Rick's College/BYU-Idaho?

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 17, 2018 7:30 a.m.

You think BYU's dress code is rigid?
    Try the Service Academies.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2018 6:39 a.m.

Jonny boy

“Really, You were confident and free to decide to let your hair grow, to not shave for a day or two, to wear shorts to a summer class, to grow your sideburns long, or walk to on the grass? ”

My high school had a stricter dress code than BYU. Even the U has a dress code; try walking around campus shirtless and shoeless and see where that gets you.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 17, 2018 2:05 a.m.

Is anybody really @ all surprised he’s returning? That was the plan all along, but byu-p fans are so gullible....Lol

“Next year the invitation to the Draft Combine will propel him into the NBA draft and a pro basketball future.”

😂 Lol—The vast majority of byu-players overall never even remotely sniff The Nba, period.

Sounds like to me byu-p players are continuing to have an itch to get the heck out of provo, period.

dr’s Hc duties are being questioned yet again by byu-p fans....Hysterical.

Go Utes!

• One of Vai's Cousins DC, Washington
    May 16, 2018 9:51 p.m.

It’s good to see that most support Yoli and others who pursue their career aspirations in the way they see fit. Close to 100% of college students would jump at the chance to start their career early making a very healthy salary and free time each year to continue to work toward their degree. 100%. And with athletes that pressure is heightened due to the small window of physical ability and risk of career ending injury. There are plenty of players who are not good enough to pursue a pro career to fill out the roster. Those who criticize those players do so for there only selfish reasons.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    May 16, 2018 2:54 p.m.

Rivalry can be sort of fun.

There are those who take it too far in both directions.

When your reason for opposing a school or team is based on religious feelings, it's unfair to interject that into comments about the article, even if the article does go into Yoeli's religious feelings as well.

It's unfair to the great number of Ute fans who are simply Utah fans, some of which are still passionate about cheering against BYU but might not share the same religious angst as those who feel that their passion for the rivalry is a way of letting off religious steam and being able to speak out about something that they feel they have been or currently are trapped in.

It's unfair to the large number of BYU fans who aren't active LDS members. Years ago on another forum I was shocked to find that almost half of the frequent 8 or 9 BYU fans weren't LDS members - and for them it's not fair to inject them into a religious debate either.

There are lots of articles and places to debate religion, most people here just want to talk about sports.

Yoeli can speak for himself.

• blue & white Boise, ID
    May 16, 2018 2:48 p.m.

So glad he’s comming back. So critical to have an athletic big. Great decision and correct to do. Too bad Mica didn’t see that. This softens the blow of Elija B. Leaving. Wish EB Would have stayed. Not sure what he was thinking since he’s not going to the NBA. Now the Y has a chance to make the tourney.

• portlander Arlington, WA
    May 16, 2018 2:24 p.m.

Well, it's a slight change in my thinking, but I still have zero confidence that Coach Rose has the skills to devise a plane to get the most out of what he's got. I just don't see it. But I'll keep watching. In the mean time, it's not too late to go after a better head coach, is it?

• steve24/7 Sandy, UT
    May 16, 2018 1:17 p.m.

Glad to have you back Yo!

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 16, 2018 12:59 p.m.

"I too attended BYU and was free to make my own decisions and never felt shoehorned in any way. I guess I am just more confident in myself. I'm sure your transfer to the u made it much easier for you to party though."

dc:

Or, were you taught free agency, and how it was enforced at BYU-P?

• CougFaninTX Spring, TX
    May 16, 2018 12:56 p.m.

"still trying to live the dream." Fact check - One China player is making over $1M and only plays half as many games as NBA. Others are making $500k+. That seems like living the dream to me - doing what you love and getting paid well to do it.

Just curious, are you living the dream?

• DC Surfs Carlsbad, CA
    May 16, 2018 11:52 a.m.

@ Naval whatever

"After all, I once attended that school, and have personally witnessed how that institution tries to shoehorn divine inspiration into every facet of their life"

Really? I too attended BYU and was free to make my own decisions and never felt shoehorned in any way. I guess I am just more confident in myself. I'm sure your transfer to the u made it much easier for you to party though. It sounds like it worked out better fir everyone.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    May 16, 2018 11:41 a.m.

For those who decline Deity’s invitation for communion, I suppose divine direction seems like an abstract principle.

For those who accept the invitation and enjoy such communion, divine direction is a reality.

I certainly commend the latter to Yoeli and all God’s other children as well.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    May 16, 2018 11:00 a.m.

@Naval Vet

Thanks for your knowledgeable input. Your observations are always spot on and so appreciated. Ha ha.🤗

Yoeli is entitled to speak for himself. How could anyone pretend to speak for him?

🤔😎

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    May 16, 2018 10:55 a.m.

@JD

Is it ok to "dream"?

Perhaps all of us should just give up on any aspirations we might have.

After all, haven't most of us been taught that life is all about "stretching"?

In the meantime, why don't we just accentuate the negative?

🤔

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2018 10:50 a.m.

Better tell Emery to pass you the ball, bro. That dude is a jacker and can hurt your team.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 16, 2018 10:29 a.m.

I seriously doubt Yoeli’s coaches and/or teammates had anything to do with his decision to return next year. And neither do I believe conversations with his family, weeks of prayer, nor the cougars’ fans and/or special culture, had anything to do with his decision either. I believe that his decision was based ENTIRELY on conversations he claims he’d had with NBA teams.

I DO however believe that Yoeli’s coaches, teammates, family, cougar fans, and that “special culture” down there inspired him to claim that “prayer” had anything to do with it though. After all, I once attended that school, and have personally witnessed how that institution tries to shoehorn divine inspiration into every facet of their life. If he didn’t claim to have received any revelation, those coaches, teammates, cougar fans, and “special culture” will begin to question his commitment to the church.

Cue the cougar apologists….

• JD Las Vegas, NV
    May 16, 2018 10:18 a.m.

The article states "BYU is no stranger to losing players to pro careers" well that is a big stretch. I would say semi-pro careers. But nobody from Provo is playing in the NBA, just places like Turkey, China, etc. They are all players who do not have the skills to make the NBA but who are still trying to live the dream of making it.

• Cougar_Trojan_Spurs_Fan San Diego, CA
    May 16, 2018 10:16 a.m.

re:

"5 - Orem, UT
    May 16, 2018 7:59 a.m.
    I find it interesting that his reason for returning to BYU was all about what was good for him. That may be the problem with maintaining the quality of collegiate sports. Very little loyalty to a school and decisions made only in the interest of self.
    Having said that, I look forward to watching Yoeli compete."

You say that like he is doing something selfish. Isn't that why every kid chooses the college they choose to attend: because it was the best fit for them? Yoeli is being smart and realizing that basketball is a business (at least at the pro level, although I'm not convinced it's not at the college level too) and that coming back to BYU for another season, after having received feedback from NBA scouts and teams about the things he needs to work on, and that to get ahead in this business, he needs to put in more work.

My only concern now is, with the development of the center position or power forward shooting so many 3's in the NBA, watch out for Yoeli shooting a lot more treys than he did last year. Teams live and die by the three.

• Jello is Good ,
    May 16, 2018 9:32 a.m.

This is good news. Childs did what all college basketball players should do. Test the market, listen to experts and do what is best for your career. Stop with the loyalty stuff. He owes nothing to BYU and BYU owes him nothing. Obviously the NBA folks suggested that another year in college would up his market value. His family probably advised him that getting a degree and being close to home would be best for his family and him. And oh by the way, this is great for BYU.

As for the team, they only lose Bryant and gain four players off injury and mission. They will be much deeper in the paint and with Emery back should not see too much of a drop in the total guard play. The one thing they don't have without Bryant is somebody that can create their shot in the half court at crunch time. Emery and Haws don't have the body and/or quickness for it. Childs does not have the handles for it. It's going to be on Rose and the discipline of the team to run a half court set that works.

• Robroy Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2018 9:28 a.m.

77-65

• Esquire Springville, UT
    May 16, 2018 9:25 a.m.

Sanity restored. Fantasies put aside.

• Laxman taylorsville, UT
    May 16, 2018 9:18 a.m.

When he realized it was either Europe or Provo, it was an east decision. He found out that he isn’t NBA ready.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    May 16, 2018 8:46 a.m.

Love it - this young man is special.

• Hockey Fan Miles City, MT
    May 16, 2018 8:23 a.m.

Wow, some really tacky and mean-spirited comments already. . . What else is there to say?

• ConradGurch Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 16, 2018 8:22 a.m.

Best of luck to Mr. Childs, perhaps he can make it in Europe or else where next year. Sorry Cougs but your best player isn't NBA material.

• 5 Orem, UT
    May 16, 2018 7:59 a.m.

Having said that, I look forward to watching Yoeli compete.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    May 16, 2018 7:44 a.m.

I hope it turns out to be the best decision for him and BYU basketball, go Cougars!

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    May 16, 2018 7:42 a.m.

Great news! Welcome back.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    May 16, 2018 7:13 a.m.

Good for him and good for the program. I totally questioned this move from the get go.

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    May 15, 2018 11:48 p.m.

Great news for Coach Rose and the team.
    Also, with the addition of Emery, the injury recoveries, and the incoming Freshmen the team should be able to compensate for the loss of a team leader like Bryant.
    Yoeli made the right decision. With the input he received from the NBA people he will improve his game and his stock will rise. Next year the invitation to the Draft Combine will propel him into the NBA draft and a pro basketball future.

• mightymite , 00
    May 15, 2018 11:21 p.m.

I am guessing him and run and gun coming back next year will be a disaster. He would be better off in Lithuanian than trying to play with emery. He just cost himself any chance of a significant pro career or should we say emery will.

• cjd1 Draper, UT
    May 15, 2018 10:53 p.m.

Agents told him to stay put for a reason. Still another 1st round exit from NIT for BYU.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    May 15, 2018 10:35 p.m.

Welcome back Yoeli! This just made my day.

Losing Bryant and Childs both in one year was just too big a blow for this young team! I'll bet Lee Cummard is jumping up and down!

Go BYU Cougars!

• Vegas POV Las Vegas, NV
    May 15, 2018 10:23 p.m.

This is the best basketball news BYU could have received this year.