BYU coach Ed Lamb and his wife Sarah tackling the challenges of raising a child with autism

• Tracy A. Provp, UT
    May 12, 2018 7:36 p.m.

I appreciate reading this!! Wanted you to know of a product that is intended to help with Autism and other conditions that impact mental health. I am not selling it just endorsing it. It is called True Hope/ Q-96 (96 hour process) from Q-Sciences. Listen to Tony Stephens explain how he came up with it and the help it is to his own needing family. 888- or 866- true-hop(e) for more info

• rexwhitmer ELFRIDA, AZ
    May 12, 2018 7:30 p.m.

My wife teaches learning challenged children. She loves working with them. Unfortunately autism doesn't generally bring children into her group, but she's worked with them, and many are a wonder. One boy she likes to tell about could take any date you might give him in any century and he could tell you quickly what day of the week that was. Apparently they are sometimes hard to teach if you can't figure out how to, I guess get to them. It seems most have a blessing of being able to do things that normal people can't do. Most are mathematicly inclined. Since they have him in a specialize school, they should soon discover his hidden talents that will make him VERY special to the entire family, no matter how awkward it may seem at times!

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    May 12, 2018 3:47 p.m.

@long last

You are right that those to factors basically cover everything.

As a parent you blame every decision you might have made because you really don’t know what really causes it.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 12, 2018 3:44 p.m.

"Genetics and environmental factors pretty much covers everything doesn't it."

It depends on what you include under environmental, e.g. infectious, toxic, postpartum mutations, trauma.

• Twin Sister LINDON, UT
    May 12, 2018 11:32 a.m.

@long last--I have a 25-year old son with autism. He wasn't potty trained until he was 7 years old during the day time and 12 years old during the night. He also was non-verbal until he was 5 years old. His first sentence was, "I want peanut butter," and he got it! With therapy over the years, he is now fully verbal, and he can do many things for himself. He has even has had a part time job doing dishes for almost two years now in a senior living center. We feel very blessed that he has been able to progress more than we ever anticipated. To answer your question about the dominance of autism diagnosis in males vs. females, I understand that 3 out of 4 autism diagnoses are male. I believe that the research indicates that the Y chromosome is part of the reason for the high diagnosis rate in males. When my son was in an autistic kindergarten unit years ago, all of the 10 students in his class were male. Throughout the rest of his elementary school experience in autistic classrooms, there were two or three total girls with autism. Indeed, children with disabilities are a great blessing to their families just as all children are.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    May 12, 2018 11:26 a.m.

Thanks for the responses. Genetics and environmental factors pretty much covers everything doesn't it.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    May 12, 2018 9:56 a.m.

@long last

Autism is more prevalent in boys. Researchers believe genetics and environmental factors may play a role but nothing is conclusive.

• Seagull Suz Sandy, UT
    May 12, 2018 8:50 a.m.

@long last

I also have noticed that there seem to be many more male children and young adults with autism and other special needs than females in our Sandy, Utah community...and also among our close friends and even in our extended family.

Like the Lamb family, the families I am familiar with cherish their special needs children and each family member has a unique role in that child’s life. These precious souls are heaven sent and bring love and countless blessings to their families and to those of us who are blessed to know them.

I also would be interested in knowing any genetic/medical information as to causation.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    May 12, 2018 8:11 a.m.

Essentially every article I see pertaining to autism is in regard to a male child. Does anyone have any insight into autism being overwhelmingly in males versus females? Thinking about this, I don't believe I have ever seen anything about females with autism.