Derrick Favors has plenty to think about this summer as he considers free agency

• Oh Really? Salt Lake City, UT
    May 14, 2018 9:59 a.m.

@water rocket

"This has been, by far, Favor's best season"

I suggest you check his stats for 2014-2015 and 2015-2016, when they Jazz considered him a near All-Star.

@mdp

"I like Favors- the Jazz need rebounders with hands of steel, something Gobert sorely lacks."

I seriously wonder what games you've watched. Gobert is a pick-and-roll monster, catching passes that are all over the place and putting them through the hoop as layups, tips, catch-and-dunks...

@Little Andy

"I believe him when he says he does not know what he will do. And when he decides I am sure it will be before July 4th."

Unlikely. The timing of signings is a function of where a free-agent is on the pecking order. The big names have to sign and then the dominoes fall.

@Holy-Schamoly-What Baloney

"Did I read this right, he got paid $12 million for a season where they wouldn't publish his free throw stats?"

AB made $10m

Favors free throws

Career - .663
    This year - .653
    Best year - .709.

Karl Malone:
    Career - .742
    Best year - .797

Malone took more than three times as many free throws. Derrick averages 3.3 per game, Malone 8.94. If Favors had Malone's %, he'd score .261 points more per game.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    May 13, 2018 12:38 p.m.

If every fan was like VeraLouise of Sandy, Utah, what a world this would be. John Milton "On his Blindness" said it best. "They also serve who only stand and wait". And on Mother's Day to boot. Thanks Moms. Nurturing is next to Godliness.

• p e RICHFIELD, UT
    May 11, 2018 11:34 a.m.

I said this here before; Favors is a great fit for us. I would pay his money and be happy about it. I like Exum, too, but if a choice has to be made, I believe Favors' skill set is essential to our success. He is still young. He not only proved he can replace Rudy effectively, if Rudy gets hurt, but that he can play with Rudy and, he even became a more effective mid-range shooter. Can't ask for more than that and I believe our twin towers will get better together next year with added experience. The X factor for me is the obvious ability of our coach and his staff. Here's hoping the Jazz will do what it takes to give this group of players at least another year to show the effects of that coaching and the chemistry and talent they have developed.

• mdp Bountiful, UT
    May 11, 2018 9:31 a.m.

• Holy-Schamoly-What Baloney Kaysville, UT
    May 11, 2018 8:06 a.m.

Did I read this right, he got paid $12 million for a season where they wouldn't publish his free throw stats? How many times would an extra 4 or 5 points from the line have made a huge difference in the outcome of the game? It shouldn't be too much to ask a player making that kind of money, as well as Gobert, to improve sharply in that area; other teams seem to knock them down without any problem, but not the Jazz. That would be pivotal in the Jazz improving their position in the league. (Remember when Frank Layden was all over Karl Malone for not being able to shoot free throws? Malone decided to learn how to shoot them and it made a tremendous difference in Utah's outcome.)

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    May 11, 2018 6:33 a.m.

Jazz will have a strong position this summer in free agency.

Many teams have recently overspent, and without exception each team that made it to the playoffs are up against the salary cap or exceeded it already.

Last year George Hill bolted for a big paycheck and his wallet got fatter but when he landed with the Kings he found himself in a negative playing situation. It seems the money was worth more than the environment. He was fortunate in that he got bounced from there and now is able to dribble once or twice each quarter before passing to LeBron on the big stage.

Favors due to the economic situation in the league may not get huge money offers he is seeking so the Jazz should be able to keep him for a reasonable amount should they choose

Here is hoping they choose to keep him.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    May 11, 2018 5:04 a.m.

Good luck to you, Derrick, whatever you decide to do. I agree with your assessment that you are more effective closer to the basket. I am also glad that the Jazz decided not to trade you this year. It was a fun year for this fan, and you were an integral part of this successful season.

• Little Andy Tremonton, UT
    May 10, 2018 8:31 p.m.

I believe him when he says he does not know what he will do. And when he decides I am sure it will be before July 4th.. I would like to see him back. Why spend money on a unknown free agent when we got a pretty good one already. Whatever he decides good luck to him.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    May 10, 2018 8:15 p.m.

This has been, by far, Favor's best season. His oft injured pastdidn't stop him from stepping up his game in a contract year. I was one those thrilled when the Jazz obtained Favors, but have been disappointed in him, until this year. For those with short memories, Favors was the subject of trade talk up to the trade deadline this year. Personally, I am glad the Jazz didn't trade Favors, and hope he resigns with the Jazz, and considering how he has commented that this year was a fun one for him, I expect him to resign with the Jazz, but the dollar signs may be bigger elsewhere. The key for long term success for the Jazz is to have unselfish players, willing to sacrifice some higher pay to be on a future championship team. Will Favors stick with a team capable of bigger things in the future, or will he jump ship of more money? Just how much money is enough any way?

• Mark from Montana Davis County, UT
    May 10, 2018 7:53 p.m.

Favors is a class act. I hope he can work out a deal with the Jazz and he sticks around. He is a great competitor and contributes so much to the team.

• VeraLouise Sandy, UT
    May 10, 2018 6:33 p.m.

I so hope we can keep Favors....however! Pleeeeze don't boo him if he decides to sign on with Atlanta, his home town. It would make sense. But it sounds like he would like to return to the Jazz. I hope it will work out for him, however it plays out. He is a good guy! We LOVE good guys! But when (if) it is time to move on, bless him with the decision. I just wish we could keep everybody, but then that is what I do. Loved our Jazzboys, who didn't get swept--that's all I asked for. Can't wait for the next season to get going! Having major withdrawals!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    May 10, 2018 5:42 p.m.

D-Fav is certainly handling free agency better than a certain player whose name-will-not-be-uttered. If D-Fav decides to leave I suspect he will still receive a warm welcome in Salt Lake City whenever he comes to town.