Utah Jazz's Ricky Rubio unfazed by Russell Westbrook’s guarantee to shut him down for Game 4

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    April 23, 2018 3:51 p.m.

I usually watch KUTV Sports. Last night, however, I was late in tuning into local sports, and I caught Craig Bollerjack being interviewed on KSL's Sports Beat around 11pm. Bollerjack said that John Stockton said to him after the game, "I haven't seen the Jazz play this good since we (Stockton and Malone) did". And, Stockton added, "...maybe even better!"

From someone who never says that much, but means what he says when he does say something, he may be right! This Snyder team, this year, might be superior to Sloan's teams back at the apex of "Stockton-to-Malone" basketball!

Who knows? I don't but wonder if the Jazz don't have a decent chance of playing this year in the finals!?! And, maybe even winning the championship!?!

The more the Jazz have improved this year, I have come to start to think that Gordon Hayward did the Jazz a huge favor. He wasn't playing at the level Donovan Mitchell is as a rookie, even after half a dozen years.

If Hayward was still central to the Jazz, would Mitchell have had the room to grow he has been given, and as the Jazz needed?

Would Rubio be here? And, if so, would he be at the core of the team as he is? I think we should thank Hayward now!

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    April 23, 2018 3:43 p.m.

Talk is cheap. We'll see what Westbrook does (or even can do) against Rubio.

The Thunder are playing Wack-A-Mole, even if they can hit one down, another one pops up.

The Jazz have the advantage in that their play as a cohesive, sharing, finding the best player open, overall, should trump "I'm a star, I'm an MVP, I'm the best" attitude and action almost always!

L'esprit de corp, or all players on a team playing as one, not caring who makes a basket so much, but that a basket is made, is so evident in the Jazz.

What I saw last year watching Golden State in the finals against Cleveland was how they played as a team. All of the Warriors I saw seemed to be terrific ball handlers and shooters. They passed and passed and passed, with precision, carefully, so as to not lose the ball, and to get the ball to someone who both was in a good situation, and felt good to shoot.

I haven't had opportunity to watch Golden State play this year. But what I saw them do last year, I see the Jazz doing this year. They (the Jazz) keep working, working, working to get a solid open shot, even if that is Donovan Mitchell slipping through the key to the basket through 3 or 4 opposing players.

Go Jazz!

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    April 23, 2018 2:21 p.m.

Let Westbrook use up his energy to "shut off" Rubio.

Rubio is our 5th best offensive player anyway.

• T3 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 23, 2018 1:23 p.m.

Shhh.....don't say anything about the obvious!

• ultragrampa Farmington, UT
    April 23, 2018 1:21 p.m.

Westbrook is the reigning league MVP, I would think he'll take it personally that he had an off game and Rubio lit him up.

Like Jerebko said...what else would anyone expect (westbrook) to say?

This is turning into an even better series than last year's against the Clippers. I can HARDLY WAIT for tonight's game. Westbrook is likely to be amazing, but unless he gets help - and I don't think he will cuz Jazz got killer D - the Jazz go up 3-1.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    April 23, 2018 12:23 p.m.

Talk about a great distraction for a team. Go ahead and focus many guys on him. That just means other guys will be open and can get points, assists, and rebounds if they truly do focus on Rubio.

It was just a heat of the instant comment, nothing more.