Donovan Mitchell breaks NBA rookie record for 3-pointers made as Jazz crush Warriors

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    April 11, 2018 3:23 p.m.

The castoffs other teams didn't want have been molded by Quin Snyder into a formidable team that no one wants to face in the playoffs. And they are being led in scoring by a rookie no one thought was worth a top-ten pick.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    April 11, 2018 3:01 p.m.

@Groucho Marks

Does Donovan Mitchell deserve Rookie of the Year? In my opinion, yes. The kid is just flat out exciting to watch. His athleticism is off the charts. When he wants to, he can make opposing players stumble and look slow by comparison. His shifty moves in and around the basket are things of beauty. His moves at times have made even seasoned NBA veterans look silly.

Last season, the Jazz turned to a 7-year veteran when they needed to score a basket. This year, a rookie has replaced him. That's a Cinderella story we can all believe in — because it's true.

If the Jazz win tonight and take the number 3 spot in the west, it will just add to the weight of evidence that Mitchell should be named ROY.

After a 19-28 start, it would have been easy to just roll over and say, "Oh well, we will do better next year." I think the team is tired of waiting and next year has arrived.

No matter what happens during the playoffs, I am so proud of what this team has accomplished.

• Hugh G. Hayter Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2018 2:01 p.m.

@Gruncle Ralph - Salt Lake City, UT

So why did he start Klay and KD and not pull them until the third if it didn't mean anything?
    Give the Jazz D some credit- it shut Klay down and limited KD.

• Groucho Marks Lehi, UT
    April 11, 2018 1:01 p.m.

If Donovan isn't ROY then the NBA is a complete joke. What a dynamic player and individual. Go Jazz!!!

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    April 11, 2018 12:00 p.m.

Only in America
    Land of opportunity!

So goes another song, and lyric.

Being a small town, as far as the NBA goes, like the late Rodney Dangerfield, Salt Lake City gets no respect.

Even someone Utah (and the Jazz) courted, old Gordon Hayward, like old Lot, thought the grass looked greener elsewhere.

Well, quoting Gomer Pyle—

"Sooprize, Sooprize, Sooprize!"

Larry was (is) my first cousin. Yet, I'm generally a passive fan.

But now I'm getting super Jazzed! (And I hope all the people in the state of Utah are too), seeing how this 'wallflower' (Utah Jazz) is not only a Cinderella team, but one, IMHO, with definitely 'High Hopes!' (thanks Frank Sinatra for the song by the same name)!

It doesn't appear probable, or likely. And, to be sure, the Houston Rockets have been a hot team this year! And have by far the best NBA team record. (Kudos to Houston on that game, 'girl')!

But, wasn't about 20 years ago we had a 'dance' with Houston? (And I think I see Houston at another 'prom' with us). And I think we stand a chance of leaving that dance as the 'King' of this prom, too!

Not bragging! Just hopeful, excited, and pretty doggone giddy for the boys (now) from Salt Lake City!

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    April 11, 2018 11:48 a.m.

Thought I'd find somebody who is twice as cute
    'Cause I didn't like you anyhow
    You told everybody that we were friends
    But this is where our friendship ends
    'Cause all of a sudden you change your tune
    And haven't been around since way last June
    Ah ha, ooh, ooh, gonna get along without you now
    I got along without you before I met you
    Gonna get along without you now
    So long my honey, goodbye my dear
    Gonna get along without you now, ooh, hoo
    Get along without you no, wooh, hoo
    Get along without you now
    Get along without you now

Ah ha, ah ha, gonna get along without you now
    I got along without you before I met you
    Gonna get along without you now
    So long (Get along without you now) my honey
    (Get along without you now)
    Goodbye (Get along without you now) my dear
    (Get along without you now)
    Gonna get along without you now
    So long (Get along without you now) my honey
    (Get along without you now)
    Goodbye (Get along without you now) my dear
    (Get along without you now)
    Gonna get along without you now
    So long (Get along without you now) my honey
    (Get along without you now)
    Goodbye (Get along without you now) my dear
    (Get along without you now)
    Goodbye (for GOOD, Gordy)!

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    April 11, 2018 11:46 a.m.

I won't diss Golden State (they play how they play for whatever reason/s).

Last year, watching Golden State play in the NBA finals against the Cavs, I was duly impressed how all of the Warriors could both handle the ball (dribble and pass) so well. And it seemed all could score almost at will.

Fast forward a year. Regardless of the overall record/s, the Utah Jazz are playing ball I had only previously seen another team playing (Golden State).

I would rather credit Quin Snyder, other Jazz coaches, crew and team for having developed this season into such great individual players and such a well oiled 'machine' team!

I know, it's all 'old history' now, but to Gordon Hayward in Boston, I'd like to repeat the lyrics from 'Gonna Get Along Without You Now'—

Ah ha, hmm, gonna get along without you now
    Ah ha, hmm, I'm gonna get along without you now
    You told me I was the neatest thing
    You even ask me to wear your ring
    You ran around with every girl in town
    You didn't even care if it got me down
    Ah ha, hmm, gonna get along without you now
    Ah ha, hmm, I'm gonna get along without you now
    I got along without you before I met you
    Gonna get along without you now (2B continued)

• Gruncle Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2018 11:01 a.m.

@Hugh G Hayter

Kerr was exposed.
    Klay and KD were off so he basically took his dolly and went home instead of finding
    a way to compete.
    A complete joke of a coach.

---------------

...or, it wasn't a game GS needed to win and so he was resting key players to get ready for the grind of the playoffs. The Warriors are firmly in 2nd place in the West and it's a common practice in the NBA at the end of the season to look for opportunities to rest players.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    April 11, 2018 10:25 a.m.

I'm not a big NBA fan, but it's nice to see a quality young man like Mitchell have so much success. I doubt he would have seen this success had not "what his name" left for Boston.

• Casey See Camarillo, CA
    April 11, 2018 9:44 a.m.

Not to take anything away from the Jazz or what they have accomplished since January, the Warriors had nothing to play for last night. They have had the #2 spot sewnup for a couple of weeks now. They have no chance to get the #1 spot and no chance of loosing the #2 spot. You might as well give players a little rest, and give the supporting cast more playing time. (Yes I know that Curry is hurt and so was Iguodala). Still there was no incentive for the Warriors to compete last night. I actually hope that mindset carries over into the playoffs.

The Jazz on the other hand have shown the desire to compete for most of the season regardless of the hand they have been dealt. I just hope that they keep that fire going tonight and into the playoffs. If so, they just might do what Malone and Stockton never did. But to do that, they must also remember to play team ball.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    April 11, 2018 7:33 a.m.

Interesting dynamic involving 3-pt shooting tonight in Portland. Portland's usually prolific backcourt is shooting under 30% on 3s in the last 10 games. This is a big reason why they are losing lately. Also, from one rookie to another: Lillard, former 3 pt. rookie record holder, will be on the court, perhaps sometimes guarding the new record holder Mitchell. Go Spidah! How Rubio and Mitchell and Lillard and McCollum shoot may decide the game.

Also, new 3-pt. threat Derrick Favors hit 2 or 3 last night against Golden State. Both teams play excellent team defense and it will be loud tonight in the arena most Portland fans still call the Rose Garden.

• Hugh G. Hayter Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2018 7:06 a.m.

Kerr was exposed.
    a way to compete.
    A complete joke of a coach.

• no comment South Jordan, UT
    April 11, 2018 12:55 a.m.

Give a little credit to Ben Simmons: while Mitchell was breaking the record for most 3-pointers in a season by a rookie, Simmons was tying one as well: fewest 3-pointers in a season by a rookie.