Austin Lee warming up to his role as starting safety in BYU spring football camp

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    March 22, 2018 12:19 a.m.

Austin starting on special teams at Utah and being deep on the depth chart as a freshman doesn't mean that he doesn't have more skills as he progresses. Most start out low on the chart and work up into the game.

I'm not saying that he's at the same level as Chase Hansen at Utah - easily the best safety in the state - however don't judge his opening as an clear indication of his current skills. You grow up in the positions. 4 year starters are rare!

• Sore loser Oakland, CA
    March 20, 2018 4:50 p.m.

You guys gave that Notre Dame transfer a big article about his hopes at safety a year or so ago, and Grant Jones was listed as the top safety a couple of years ago after spring, and a recent article also mentioned that the corner backs had moved to safety, so it gets confusing. Maybe a better characterization might be that a guy is playing with the 1’s, rather than projecting a guy as the starter

• utahby6 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 20, 2018 3:08 p.m.

Before there are any more childish comments, I'd like to wish Austin the best in every game, except when he plays Utah. Maybe he can sleep in on those days or something. We know he can play, look what he did in HS.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2018 2:15 p.m.

It concerns me that we are putting our eggs in a basket of a transfer who was a special teams player only at Utah post his mission. Again, if we expect to compete with the P5 schools on our schedule, we need to recruit better and develop a lot more depth. I believe that last year was proof that once injuries start piling up, you need to have depth.

• top of the world ,
    March 20, 2018 1:01 p.m.

54-10...nice, thoughtful comment. So, he was a freshman, intending to serve a mission and he had a very nice group in front of him. Not the same as Elder Covey when he came in as a freshman and would also serve a mission. For Covey the position he would be playing was wide open. For Lee, not so much. However, good on you for being able to express your dislike for all things BYU. Silly to say someone who was 5th string at the U would just automatically be a starter at the Y. But I do love it when a player from another team decides to reside and play in Provo instead.

As to all of the rah-rah-sis-bam-boom...I'll wait to see how things go on the field for my Cougars. I have read, often, in the past how they were doing great during spring and fall practices. I actually read that prior to last season, and while I know injuries were many the season didn't turn out too good. I do believe there will be a marked improvement. That is a pretty safe assumption.

Best of success, Lee. You would have done well at the U, but glad to see you in blue and white.

• SIMPLICITY Denver, CO
    March 20, 2018 12:51 p.m.

Starting safety at a Division One football team. Not an easy task anywhere, well done for Austin. To boot a full ride scholarship and big man on campus clout.