Utes edge UCLA, 84-78, move into a tie for third in the Pac-12

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• BAKC Litchfield Park, AZ
    Feb. 23, 2018 7:57 p.m.

@ Spokane Ute

#makeawish

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 23, 2018 7:31 p.m.

At BAKC

#WishfulThinking

• BAKC Litchfield Park, AZ
    Feb. 23, 2018 4:40 p.m.

Well, well Ute fan - please spin the new report by yahoo that points out Kuzma receiving big dollars for a short stint on campus... We all knew he didn’t belong there and now we know why. The program should be vacating some of those W’s and Krisco should be packing his bags.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Feb. 23, 2018 1:16 p.m.

Den Den---you weren't excited by that because your son wasn't playing in the Conference of Champions---sort of the same scenario as the team I'm sure you root for in NCAA basketball. Also, the Ute players have parents who are probably telling them that they are very proud of them and will be whether they make it to the dance or no. You don't sound like you did that for your kid. Don't fret--some other Dad probably stepped up and clapped your boy on the back and told them they were proud of him when they gave him that trophy.

• Lester L. Wester Henderson, NV
    Feb. 23, 2018 1:14 p.m.

Den Den: “Yay, 3rd place. Remind me when my son played t-ball and got a 'participation' trophy!”

Sounds like you should stick to T-ball until educated about college basketball and the NCAA Tournament invitation qualifications.

• GoRed Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 23, 2018 12:50 p.m.

@denden

"3rd place. Remind me when my son played t-ball and got a participation trophy."

You obviously are unacquainted with how competitive the Power 5 conferences are. On any given week even the highest ranking teams like Arizona, Duke, or Virginia can lose to a team with a lesser record in their respective conferences. That is what makes each week's games so fun to watch. In other conferences you have only one or two teams that will dominate, with the rest of the teams merely there to pad the "win" total of the best teams.

So, yes, being in 3rd place in a very competitive conference of twelve teams is a big deal. You really should follow the games in the conference. They are very entertaining, well played, and often unpredictable.

• CougarDuck Cottage Grove, OR
    Feb. 23, 2018 11:51 a.m.

Good game Utah... Hope my ducks can give you a game if it comes up in the tournament.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Feb. 23, 2018 11:03 a.m.

Wow, that is pretty impressive. This time of year some teams get stronger and some fade. I believe it's a coaching issue.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 23, 2018 10:20 a.m.

What A huge win for Utah. RPI just jumped 10 spots to number 40. UCLA drop to number 50. Big swing now beat USC and punch that ticket. What a great day to be at Ute.

Den Den

There’s one in every crowd, congrats. Stay classy

• cowshed Provo, Utah
    Feb. 23, 2018 9:06 a.m.

Go, Utah!! Good luck in the conference tournament and in the NCAA tourney, hopefully.

• kiddoc Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 23, 2018 9:05 a.m.

Den den,

Pass me one of those sour grapes.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Feb. 23, 2018 8:26 a.m.

Den Den,
    I hope that wasn't you're response to your son's award.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Feb. 23, 2018 8:15 a.m.

Dang! I am continually amazed at the Utes newfound resurgence in confidence and improvement as a team, both defensively and offensively. Way to go Coach K, for getting your kids to believe! Here's hoping you guys will keep on rolling. I'm one die hard Cougar fan who will be rooting for you to go far in your conference! If you keep on rolling like that you will be a lock to make it to the NCAA tourney.

I wish I can say the same about my Cougs but unless they can pull off a miracle at their WCC tournament I think they are pretty much NIT bound again this year. Even so, I'll settle for that and excited to see how far they can go.

Here's wishing both schools "Good luck!"

• JustGordon Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 23, 2018 7:53 a.m.

Participation trophies are for those who didn’t make it to third place! They are something for nothing!

My hunch is that Olympians winning bronze medals don’t feel like their bronze medal is a participation trophy!

• Den Den West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 23, 2018 6:29 a.m.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Feb. 23, 2018 6:08 a.m.

Big win!

Always glad to see the Utes play well!

Good luck in the tournament . . . and I hope you make it to the Big Dance!

LC