BYU football names AJ Steward as running backs coach to finalize coaching staff

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Feb. 7, 2018 6:03 p.m.

@ 65TossPowerTrap - Salmon, ID - Feb. 7, 2018 10:58 a.m. - "The Detmerites are totally clueless. That guy was a great player and a horrible coach. Get it?"

Over the years I've agreed with most of what you say, but, no, I don't "get it".

Have you ever been a teacher in a high performance environment? Have you ever been a teacher in ANY environment? Well I have, and it takes three things and only three things to be a great teacher in any subject:

1 - A thorough knowledge of your craft/area of expertise.
    2 - A true desire and passion to teach.
    3 - You have to speak the language of your pupils, and by this I literally mean "English".

Yep, that's it.

You simply cannot teach what you don't know. With Ty's football background he clearly had #1. Ty knew the road ahead would be tough and yet he came anyway so #2 was not a problem, and by the way, #2 overcomes any lack of connection with your pupils on an emotional level. And, yeah, I'm pretty sure a lack of #3 was not the problem.

Injuries, lack of skill/athleticism, our starting QB lacked confidence and talented teams caused us problems.

Even great coaching is not a sure-fire fix for those issues.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 7, 2018 12:00 p.m.

Steward comes to BYU from a team that won 1 game last year.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Feb. 7, 2018 10:58 a.m.

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 7, 2018 10:23 a.m.

@robo - I agree...Brady is as Pro-Style as they come. He plays behind a talented line that protected him very well for most of the game (there's a reason he can be 40 and lead the league in passing). The offense wasn't the problem, the players were...they were all injured. Of course the coach still needs to adapt the offense to the players but to say last year was Detmer's fault is completely wrong. But then I'm not a football brain, Holmoe was content with the changes so there was something to them.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 7, 2018 10:19 a.m.

Down Fluffy's

I guess the proof is in the pudding. I will hold back judgement until I see what happens.

None of us are experts. None of us are in the room with the coaches and players. Lavell Edwards was a no name as well as the people he brought in yet we know how that ended up. Brady was what the 165 pick of the draft and look what he has done (even if he lost with 505 yds of passing) Urban M was a coach from a small University for 2 years yet he proved to be a great one.

So I say let's support what has happened and instead of criticizing on what we have no clue will happen to working with them to make it happen.

If next year is a disaster then more change may be needed. If not then many of us will need to eat some crow. I think the BYU is in good hands. We are not Alabama, LSU, Clemson or Ohio State. Never will be. BYU is BYU and I am proud of it.

So all you Fluffy's out there. Calm down and let's have a great year.

• bemorefair Villanueva, NM
    Feb. 7, 2018 9:22 a.m.

Grimes knows what he's doing and he will bring out the best in these players, and the group of coaches he has assembled are accomplished and successful. Time will tell the naysayers such as robo are way off base.

Remember, many people that laughed at the Bronco hire now wish he was still in Provo. I was not among those fans. I'm here to assure BYU fans that Sitake is doing everything possible to right the ship and yes, he has made defensive moves as well.

I do expect BYU fans will be pleased with how BYU competes this season compared to last season. Hopefully, there will be fewer injuries. Look at how BYU has recruited this year. They are getting (much) bigger and faster. Ignore the star rankings. The coaches have worked hard to upgrade size and talent among players, and discipline and teaching among coaches. Don't be fooled by the naysayers.

• Caddis Terry, MT
    Feb. 7, 2018 9:04 a.m.

Good point Husky

• chopperdan Clovis, NM
    Feb. 7, 2018 6:38 a.m.

Revamp defense. Fire defensive coaches, we were horrible defensively last year! Look at the tapes. Do something.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Feb. 7, 2018 6:35 a.m.

Wow ... the peanut gallery is in full voice today. None of you know anything about evaluating coaches. Nor are you qualified to coach a pee-wee team.

Last year was a disaster, but that was due to 40 injuries. Every QB was out. No running back played two games in a row. The defense was crippled by injuries. This points to the weight coach ... I think these guys were over-bulked. But what do I know? Nothing. That's just a guess.

Now, nobody is running the old pro-set that Detmer set up. Consider the Super Bowl. Speed is everything. Did you see a QB dropping back and standing around "reading" the field. No. They got the ball out within 2 seconds. Even Van Noy could not get to the QB before he launched it. Ty Detmer was a great player, but his offense was way out of date. Period.

What do I like about the Offense hires? Recruiting. We now have recruiters from the South and Texas. Rice was 1-11, but that was against good teams. Our new offensive coordinator recruited all over the south for great teams.

This is a new era and a completely new direction for BYU. Give it a year or two.

• Caddis Terry, MT
    Feb. 7, 2018 5:45 a.m.

Local Blue, I think you are right.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Feb. 6, 2018 11:11 p.m.

Can someone please explain why a 2-star or higher rated QB prospect would seriously consider coming to BYU to be tutored by a receiver who has not seen success as a college coach? Or has Roderick had some success in coaching I am unaware of?

• localblue Sandy, UT
    Feb. 6, 2018 10:08 p.m.

Ok, I'll admit I have no clue about anything. But my unqualified guess is Detmer was a great X's and O's guy but not a great disciplinarian and taskmaster at the college level. In college simple execution is usually more important than innovation and will take you farther. For some reason, execution was terrible last year and even simple plays were often blown.

All of this said, the ultimate taskmaster has to be the head coach. We'll see if Sitake can change his approach. We need less player coach and more Saban like discipline and execution.

• Caddis Terry, MT
    Feb. 6, 2018 10:07 p.m.

I continue to be dismayed by Detmer’s treatment. It seems to me that Sitaki had to show a willingness to make the hard call. But you go through 4 qb’s, the Francis fiasco, the young full back who’s name I forget, and on and on, and then fire Ty Detmer? I know there were issues last year, but what happened to Detmer was wrong. Having said that, Grimes is the one hire that stands out to me as solid and with a personality to drive change.
    Well, right or wrong, here we are. I just hate to say it, but I’m not brimming with confidence right now. If no bowl game next year, I’m afraid Sitaki will need to go.

• cjd1 Draper, UT
    Feb. 6, 2018 9:39 p.m.

Wow. Rice finished 1-11 last year and BYU gets one of their great coaches. Oh boy.

• wahului Stockton, CA
    Feb. 6, 2018 9:14 p.m.

I'm a dedicated BYU homer, and have high hopes for this team, but little confidence currently. Sitake really shot his credibility by dumping on BYU's most valuable football asset, and this after all the talk about developing a superior product and taking the time and making the moves to do so. I won't be surprised if Ty Detmer gets snapped up and employed properly by a big name school and gets enough time to develop a system like he wanted to at BYU. I'll be glad to be proven wrong, but between this and the extraordinary discipline problems that surfaced in this past season, I just don't trust Kalani's judgement or leadership ability at this point. Hoping someone in the BYU athletic administration wakes up and makes a deal with TY.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    Feb. 6, 2018 8:50 p.m.

Oh please water rockets. Enough of the histrionics. If you’re such a fair weather fan, cheer for whoever you want but spare the rest of us your disapproval.

• dpal Provo, UT
    Feb. 6, 2018 8:16 p.m.

I think most of us BYU fans are trying to be positive and withhold judgment until we see what happens next year. Lots of coaching staff changes have been made, but will it translate into different results on the field???

• Hawk Littleton, CO
    Feb. 6, 2018 7:29 p.m.

Wow, I don't get all the gloom and doom. Personally, I think the offensive staff will be greatly improved and will be running a system that fits the personnel. I'm a huge fan of Ty Detmer, but something about his offense just wasn't working. This team will be greatly improved next year, with a tough early schedule to test just how far they have come. I'm excited to see Grimes' product on the field.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Feb. 6, 2018 7:24 p.m.

Call me crazy but I wish the staff was older and had an old sage, somebody who has seen about everything that has that extra bit of wisdom.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Feb. 6, 2018 7:17 p.m.

Detmer simply did not have the talent necessary to run his offense. His mistake was not realizing that fact. Interesting that the Philly coach was only 8 years removed from coaching HS football. Like pipes, I'm none too excited about these changes. I think the biggest change that needs to occur is the culture created by Sitaki. The pendulum swung too far the other way from the Bronco days. It would seem a little more discipline is in need. Sitaki has to realize that he's not there to be their dad, buddy, friend or pal. He's there to coach them up and make them perform at their highest level.

• steve24/7 Sandy, UT
    Feb. 6, 2018 7:13 p.m.

Alrighty then, there's our new offensive coaching staff. Let's cross our fingers and hope for the best.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Feb. 6, 2018 6:50 p.m.

After watching the Super Bowl, and how both of those teams performed, I can see just how much Detmer had to offer, and how big a mountain he had to climb. I can also see how far BYU is behind times with an inexperienced head coach and his buddy as the defensive head coach (with ero head coaching experience, either). Sadly, not only are my expectations for BYU at an all time low (except under Crowton's last year), but with the lack of integrity, and the terrible way Detmer was used as a scape goat, I am almost to the point of rooting against the team I have rooted for all these many years.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 6, 2018 6:01 p.m.

I have yet to see a hire to get excited about or to any way give hope that the team will return to relevance...

• brownderby Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 6, 2018 5:39 p.m.

I admit to a degree of unawareness, but I have no idea what "Robo" is talking about.