Doug Robinson: Illinois lawmakers want to ban youth football, but where will it end?

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 10, 2018 9:19 a.m.

It’s simple. If you don’t want your children to participate in football don’t let them participate in football. If you don’t want anyone playing football, then it is rather hypocritical to be a FAN of football. (Yes I am talking to many of you who are posting here). If you want to ban through legislation football, then you have to ban pretty much all competitive sports, because they all carry risks.
    Doug is right. If you ban football where will it end? There are many sports that carry greater risk of injury than football.

• Mr. Boris Layton, UT
    Feb. 10, 2018 7:05 a.m.

Football is dangerous, skiing is dangerous, soccer is dangerous, skateboarding is dangerous, driving a car is dangerous. Life is dangerous.

I love football and especially high school football. My sons played football in high school. They had a great experience and I'm glad they were able to play. Would I encourage them to do it again? Absolutely. But football isn't what made them men. It was one of many life experiences that contributed positively to their development. But it didn't define who they were in high school.

I understand if parents don't want their kids to play football. That choice does not make them "snowflakes or flowers". What's pretty sad is parents like Spokane Ute who most likely forced their kids to play football so they could live vicariously through their sons. And then they get to mock parents who don't want their kids to play football. Now that's sad.

The point of this article is to get the government out of these decisions because where does it stop? If they can ban football they can ban anything they perceive as dangerous.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 9, 2018 11:23 p.m.

I would take it farther and ban high school football too. It is clear that the huge money in college and pro football are happy to sacrifice the health of athletes for big money. You can't make football safe..the players are too big too fast today and it reminds me of ancient Rome and the Gladiators. This blood sport has to end. Bob Costis is right.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    Feb. 9, 2018 8:19 p.m.

I personally know two young men who can't serve LDS missions because of high school football concussions. If private organizations want to sponsor football teams, let them do it. But, I really resent the fact that school tax money is being spent on football when we have underpaid teachers, overcrowded classrooms, and many other serious deficiencies in our schools. People might say there are many benefits to football but debate, speech, music, drama, student government, ACA DECA, are all much better predictors of long terms success in life than participation in football.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 9, 2018 6:10 p.m.

Amen Bro

Me and my kids wouldn’t trade anything for the experiences we have had on the gridiron. It’s made them tough it’s made them men. It’s made them learn how to play on a team, how to win, and how to lose, how to respect your teammates, and your coach. Our country is becoming soft, that’s just the way I see it. Take care and have a good weekend!

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 9, 2018 5:47 p.m.

I coached youth football for 10 years. Never once saw a concussion in those 10 years. I saw a few orthopedic injuries but no head injuries. It’s rare in that group because the kinetic energy is just not that high.

High school is a different matter. You have many fully developed “man-childs” with size and speed and it should be a concern. Of course we should all educate ourselves to the risks and benefits with regard to our children and sports, but I don’t want the nanny state that so many liberals embrace. I guarantee I know what is best for my children much better than the government!

Football taught me, my brothers, and my children valuable lessons about life, success, failure, commitment, responsibility, and hard work that are invaluable. Like Spokane Ute I have ZERO regrets with regards to me and my children playing football, despite the bruises and broken bones we sustained.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 9, 2018 3:36 p.m.

Furthermore, So you’re saying we should ban all sports? Read the article. I guess cycling should be banned right? It seems pretty hypocritical to me that someone would take this position while commenting on every football article out there. That’s pretty pathetic in my book! What a hypocrite!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 9, 2018 3:32 p.m.

It’s called life guy. If you prefer to live your life being afraid of every possible disease or way of dying so be it. I prefer to live mine to the fullest, as do my kids. I’m proud of my kids and how they’ve grown into men. My brothers and my dad also play football, they are doing fine thank you very much. The worst injuries I’ve ever seen while my kids were playing sports was in basketball. Maybe we should do away with all sports and wear helmets everywhere we go.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Feb. 9, 2018 3:24 p.m.

@Spokane Ute,

Read the research. It's not about concussions. Parents now need to be informed. Those who subjected their kids to it in the past can plead ignorance. Go talk to the families of those who lost their husbands or sons to this disease and then you can go on about 'Snowflakes'.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 9, 2018 3:15 p.m.

Both of my boys played football from fourth grade through their senior year in high school. They had concussions, they follow the protocol. Football made men out of them. I’m so glad they played, this country is becoming a bunch of flowers and snow flakes. It’s pretty sad

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Feb. 9, 2018 3:00 p.m.

There are a lot of thoughtful editorials out there about CTE and this isn't one of them. Doug whines and gives excuses about why this and why not that, etc.

Fact is, CTE is a killer and is showing up in all the positions, linemen most because there are more linemen. The fact it is a slow killer is a problem for some to grasp, as it was with tobacco. We're in the denial phase.

I used to be a huge football fan. Not anymore. It's creating unnecessary brain injury in so many young men. And no, there aren't more hurt by cycling. My brain isn't crashing against my skull dozens of times when I take a long bike ride.

I predict that at some point, insurance companies won't cover HS football. And that will be the end of it as the pipeline to college and the NFL dry up.

You can complain and deny all you want, but tackle football as we know it, is dying. Just enjoy it while it is here, if you can ignore the consequences to these young athletes.

• BC-Cali21 Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Feb. 9, 2018 2:52 p.m.

I love football...I don’t like the injuries caused by the sport but one thing I love and hate more than the former two is: I love my freedom and I hate when a politician or law says I can’t do something. We can all govern ourselves better than any government can.

• Den Den West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 9, 2018 1:37 p.m.

Why don't lawmakers in IL focus more on their existing crime issues first, and once they've got that handled, then, maybe they can see what can be done to make youth football safer.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Feb. 9, 2018 11:23 a.m.

So, along that line of thinking, we should bring back gladiator death matches and let parents decide if their kids should participate?

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Feb. 9, 2018 11:01 a.m.

You can use the phrases Nanny State all you want, Mr. Robinson. Mike Ditka--Fred Dryer and many former players who are a lot more experienced and and knowledgable than you on this subject have said "absolutely not" to kids this age playing football. Jr. Seau took his life to warn parents of the risk. I think I'll take their advice over yours. Why don't you go call Iron Mike Ditka a nanny state supporter? I thought not.

• TAS Tehachapi, CA
    Feb. 9, 2018 10:53 a.m.

Good, I support the efforts of the Illinois Legislature. I would take the age up to 14. Children have no business playing a game, where impact is an inherent part of the game. The public schools have no business supporting an activity which can lead to brain damage. If adults want to play the game, that's their own business.

• Raster76 Colorado Springs, CO
    Feb. 9, 2018 10:18 a.m.

PC culture running amok. Let people (and families) decide for themselves. Keep Government out of sports (and several other areas of citizen's lives).

I understand it can be dangerous, but slippery slope for laws to be passed giving someone else control...