Koy Detmer Jr. offered scholarship back home at Texas A&M Kingsville

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• SIMPLICITY Denver, CO
    Jan. 26, 2018 10:24 p.m.

"All this talent coming into byu at QB this year"

What??

It is highly unlikely any incoming freshman will unseat Hoge or Mangum. Detmer Jr is not leaving because of incoming 2 star phenoms. He's leaving because he will ride the bench behind Hoge and Mangum.

Sitake's days are numbered at byu-p. But he will have a long and solid future as a defensive coordinator and recruiter somewhere.

• Mack2828 Ft Thomas, KY
    Jan. 26, 2018 9:15 p.m.

Sad to see him go. He is a tremendously gifted athlete. I felt he was the future of BYU football and gave us our best chance to win in 2018. Best wishes to him in his future endeavors in Texas.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Jan. 26, 2018 2:35 p.m.

old, you comment makes no sense at all in regards to this article. Care to elaborate.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Jan. 26, 2018 2:27 p.m.

Old Navy

"So when BYU has another losing season next year with their host of talented quarterbacks, who will be the scapegoat then?"

The new OC, just a Utah fans always blame the new OC when the Utes struggle on offense.

It's funny how the same crimson goggles wearers who whine about Sitake not taking more responsibility for BYU's offensive woes, have never held Whittingham responsible for Utah's offensive woes.

Sitake has had two seasons to improve BYU's offense.

Whittingham has had over a dozen seasons to improve Utah's offense.

• Cougarbib2 Moorpark, CA
    Jan. 26, 2018 1:15 p.m.

Best wishes for Koy Detmer, Jr. Best wishes for his cousin, Zadock, too. Uncle Ty. Koy, Sr. Grandpa Detmer. The whole Detmer clan. I admire them all. They all deserve the best.

• Lester L. Wester , Jazan
    Jan. 26, 2018 12:48 p.m.

Texas A&M Kingsville; have to say I never, ever heard of that one. Probably better suited to his skill level and wish him the best.

As for all of the comments regarding the “all of the QB talent” BYU-P will have, I don’t know where that is coming from. Mangum had a lucky two throws his first season and has regressed since then and Hoge has shown nothing special. These guys couldn’t even cross the 50 yd. line against a good, but not great, LSU. However, it appears they do have quantity so maybe that means something. Maybe ARod will coach them up, but good luck with that.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 26, 2018 11:21 a.m.

This is absolutely no surprise at all. There will likely be more QB’s to follow.
    Koy’s a good kid. I wish him the best.

• daver Provo, 00
    Jan. 26, 2018 11:10 a.m.

Koy is a much better QB than he had a chance to show. Steve Young's first game was nothing to write home about. Also true for many other BYU and NFL greats. Best wishes to him for a bright future! I will always consider him part of the Cougar family.

• Old Navy Provo, UT
    Jan. 26, 2018 11:01 a.m.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Jan. 26, 2018 10:06 a.m.

@ At Long Last
    You said: "I see a lot of numbers at the QB position, but I am not sure I see the talent level that many supporters see there. Where is the much touted (by TDS fans) Zadok Dinkelman when you need him?"

Good news: None of us are sure what the talent level is among the plethora of QB hopefuls. That's because none of us have seen any player in action since the Hawaii game. Nor are we participants in the offensive restructuring going on. My recommendation is for BYU fans to chill. All we know is that the offense will be totally different from last year.

This may or may not be good news for you TUN fans. You have my permission to worry about what BYU might do to the TUN, last game of the year. Will the TDS break the TUN jinx? TWT (Time Will Tell).

• estreetshuffle Window Rock, AZ
    Jan. 26, 2018 9:11 a.m.

BYU needs more linemen instead of Quarterbacks. Without good linemen (the real men) quarterback is no good.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Jan. 26, 2018 8:51 a.m.

Is BYU Offensive Coordinator in his future?

😊

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Jan. 26, 2018 8:47 a.m.

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    Jan. 26, 2018 8:19 a.m.

Great kid and great family.
    Best wishes to you, Koy.
    BYU was foolish to not stay the course with Ty and I think you will be great where you are going.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Jan. 26, 2018 7:52 a.m.

Pipes

Don't kid yourself.

Koy Detmer Jr bailed because he wanted more playing time and with all of the QB talent BYU will have next season, he could clearly see that getting more playing time wasn't going to happen at BYU.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2018 5:59 a.m.

Who could blame him? Time to bail from this sinking ship that was once a great team.
    Good luck Koy!

• OneCougar FR, 00
    Jan. 25, 2018 10:03 p.m.

Respect from another fan. Good luck, Koy!

• Curtaco Monroe, UT
    Jan. 25, 2018 8:50 p.m.

Amazing young man. He earned my respect, and I hope he lights it up in Texas. I think he has every attribute to be an D1 coach in the future. Good Luck!

• worf McAllen, TX
    Jan. 25, 2018 5:51 p.m.

Goodluck Koy! Your dad was my student in high school.

• taylormade1 Springville, UT
    Jan. 25, 2018 5:49 p.m.

He was never coming back to the Y next fall as a QB .........good luck Detmer on your latest venture ...

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 25, 2018 5:23 p.m.

I hope he kills it there. Good luck Koy.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 25, 2018 4:59 p.m.

Good luck, Koy! I guess you can see that the field is loaded at BYU for Quarterbacks. This sounds like a good move!

Go BYU Cougars!