NFL locals: Missed tackle overshadows Marcus Williams’ first career playoff interception

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Jan. 16, 2018 3:19 p.m.

@Striker - Omaha, NE - Jan. 15, 2018 12:18 p.m. - "And if I read one more BYU fan saying they feel for a ute, I'm going to scream. They are so full of hate and distain for BYU, so please dispense with the pleasantries."

Get real: if BYU fans would've said they hate Marcus Williams for making such a terrible play, you would have cried foul that BYU fans were hypocrites for not exercising love and compassion.

And now that we do express empathy and compassion you want us to hate him?

Does. Not. Compute.

Lose the hate, bro, lose the hate....

• Hawaiian Horn Laie, HI
    Jan. 16, 2018 12:42 p.m.

Williams blew the tackle. I get it. But, since I always dreamed of what it would be like to play in professional sports and never being good enough to get anywhere near that level, I'm going to give him some slack. A lot of slack. He's in the NFL, I'm not.

In many ways, I think the impact of this error is compounded by the fact that the Saints are out of the playoffs--there is no game 7 to fall back on. The difficulty in overcoming this is how often the Saints, and Williams, get back to the playoffs so that he can make up for this mistake with a better playoff game. Here's hoping. Otherwise, a great regular season career can be overshadowed by one playoff, especially if that's the only appearance in the playoffs.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Jan. 16, 2018 9:00 a.m.

I don't care if Marcus Williams is a Ute, a Cougar, a Bronco or a Vandal - I feel badly for him. I'm reminded of that famous speech by Teddy Roosevelt about being "In the Arena." Yes, he botched the play - no getting around it - hopefully it doesn't dog him for the rest of his career.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 16, 2018 8:59 a.m.

Bluto - Sandy, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 6:36 p.m.

Rough week to be a Ute!
    -------
    Yep, you take the good with the bad. All part of being a true, and not a fair weather, fan. Peace!

• TrueBlue Provo, UT
    Jan. 16, 2018 8:53 a.m.

I feel sorry for Williams,

not so much for some Ute fans whom I know for a fact wouldn't be showing even the slightest amount of sympathy if that had been a former BYU player.

You know who U are.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 16, 2018 8:13 a.m.

Striker - Omaha, NE
    Jan. 15, 2018 12:18 p.m.

-----------
    Go ahead an scream; talk about hate and distain. Good Grief, being bitter and hateful is a sad way to go through life. Give it a rest Sporto.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 6:36 p.m.

Rough week to be a Ute!

• ERB Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 5:59 p.m.

Sorry but this was worse than Buckner. The Red Sox still had game seven to play. This one play lost the game in probably the worst defensive play (timing wise) in sport history. Please try to think of anybody else that choked that bad on one play to single-handedly lose in the playoffs. I'll even except regular season. Any sport.
    I'm not just piling on. I'm sure he'll do fine going forward. But Man. What happened?

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 5:25 p.m.

One play does not define a player, but this one will be remembered for a long time. Too bad the good ones aren't remembered as well.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    Jan. 15, 2018 4:52 p.m.

SoonerUte

Utah fans blaming BYU fans for William's whiff being labeled one of the WORST MISTAKES in NFL Post-Season History.

Classic.

• Lone*Star Austin, TX
    Jan. 15, 2018 3:14 p.m.

Osgrath

I think that Buckner's name will always be associated with his whiff, because, as you said, he had already established himself in the sport and was well known.

Williams whiff will always be remembered, but it all depend on how successful his career is, whether his name will remain associated with the whiff, or whether fans will simply say,

"Remember that player from the Saints who totally whiffed on an easy tackle giving the Vikings a playoff win?"

• Osgrath Cedar Hills - Utah, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 2:54 p.m.

Sooner Ute, the majority of the comments here about Williams failure were made by people with "Utes" in their handle, which is fine, they are entitled to their opinions. On the other hand, with a couple of exceptions, people with Cougar backgrounds are empathetic. Don't let partisan fanship get in the way of logic, please.

As for those few that faulted me for not drawing a more direct connection with Bill Buckner, first of all, let me point out that by writing "someone," I was observing the DN rules about not ridiculing individuals on this forum by making it anonymous. It might surprise you to know that I was listening to various commentators and social media opinions, and I am aware MANY people drew the comparison, but not justly, in my opinion.

Buckner's was his swan song, Williams had a stellar year as a rookie, had already picked up an interception in the game, and has a long career ahead of him to atone. In 10 years nobody will remember his error.

• Hwy150 Layton, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 2:48 p.m.

@ND95CA: "Despite the excuse-making spin, Williams completely whiffed on a routine tackle"

@SoonerUte: "That's not what ESPN says, which makes all Cougar comments the blue-goggled spin."

Really?

Apparently, not everyone at ESPN agrees with your crimson-goggles spin:

Stephen A. Smith (ESPN): "This mistake by Marcus WILLIAMS — missing that play on Stefon Diggs — May be the absolute WORST MISTAKE I’ve ever seen in NFL Post-Season History. If it’s not THE worst it’s certainly up there. All the man had to do is make a tackle and the game is over. Horrible, Horrible Error."

Doesn't sound like Stephen A. thought it was a difficult play to make.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Jan. 15, 2018 2:41 p.m.

He just misplayed the situation. He came in too early and was afraid to hit the guy for fear that would draw a pass interference call; therefore, he veered to the side. I feel bad for him - it was just one of those things.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 2:06 p.m.

• RichDaddy Lewis Center, OH
    Jan. 15, 2018 1:53 p.m.

Williams' decision to go low and his execution of that attempt was inexcusable. Had he played what was certainly the last play of the game more conservatively and just made sure the receiver was tackled, he would be practicing for the NFC Championship right now.

But the way he faced the media quickly, directly and honestly was one of the classiest thing I have seen in sports for a long time. I am no big fan of the Utes, but I am one of of Marcus Williams from now on.

• UtahUte91 Sandy, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 1:43 p.m.

I don't think I've ever seen a player whiff that badly on a player that was up in the air and couldn't have juked if he'd wanted to - so basically, a stationary target.

He not only whiffed the tackle, he also took out the only other defender in the area.

• ND95CA Lincoln Park, IL
    Jan. 15, 2018 12:56 p.m.

Despite the excuse-making spin,

bottom line,

Williams completely whiffed on a routine tackle that would have won the game.

The whiff was so obvious, that Viking players were absolutely stunned at their good fortune.

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 12:35 p.m.

The missed tackle was the stuff of high school players, not professionals. I didn't care who won either way in that game, but I was watching and I could not believe what I saw. I didn't know or care who the guy was, but questioned whether he was even qualified to be on an NFL, playoff caliber team.

• stanfunky Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 12:27 p.m.

For all of you trashing on Williams handling of the play, consider the following:

1. Marcus got to the ball. Perhaps a tad EARLY, which is usually better than being late.
    2. He tried to avoid a pass interference call.
    3. He had likely been told to avoid making a receiver go out of bounds on a catch.
    4. He tried to avoid a targeting penalty.
    5. If Diggs caught the ball and was tackled in bounds, game over, no timeouts (3-4 seconds left, not enough time to rush up and spike).

Did he make a mistake? Yes. However he was trying to play hard, fast, and do the right thing. Sometimes things happen. It's not the worst thing in the world and won't be the end of a promising career. He will rebound from it. His team is set for another great year as long as Brees returns.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Jan. 15, 2018 12:18 p.m.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Jan. 15, 2018 12:15 p.m.

The NFL Network posted a really good video by Dion Sanders and others discussing what was going through his head. They said you are taught to keep the play in front of you. He could have not wanted a penalty on the last play, trusting his teammates would help. Listen to professionals, not fans who are clueless. It was the spectacular pass by the offense, so give the credit to them. The defensive call did not account for that scenario.

• taylormade1 Springville, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 11:41 a.m.

Not a good day to be a ute yesterday .... Felt terrible for Williams on such an easy fundamental game winning whiffed tackle ....

• BlueCoug Provo, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 11:39 a.m.

Osgrath

"Someone here feels it appropriate to evoke Bill Buckner referring to this play. There is no comparison."

Actually, there are lots of comparisons.

A completely whiffed, routine play, that snatched defeat from the jaws of a post-season victory.

Buckner will always be remembered because of his career.

Unless Williams goes on to have a stellar career, only the play will be remembered.

• Road Runner Cedar City, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 10:58 a.m.

Osgrath

"Someone here feels it appropriate to evoke Bill Buckner referring to this play."

Check social media - it's not just one person here, but lots of fans who were watching the game.

The Weekly Standard dubbed Vin Scully's call of the Buckner whiff over a replay of William's whiff.

Regardless of how you spin it, just like Buckner whiff, this is a play that will be remembered forever by everyone who was watching the game live or who has watched the replay.

I feel sorry for the kid, because there was no excuse for whiffing so completely on a game winning tackle.

• Strong Man Eau Claire, WI
    Jan. 15, 2018 10:16 a.m.

As a Vikings fan, it was a great day! As a BYU fan, I found no pleasure in seeing Williams make this huge mistake. I hope he can pick himself up and carry on with his promising NFL career. I would also observe that it's not necessarily over if he makes that tackle. Diggs caught the ball with 5 seconds remaining and if Williams had made the tackle it's conceivable that Diggs may have gone out of bands at around the 33 yard line (well within field goal range) and thus stopping the clock.

• Oregonian Sherwood, OR
    Jan. 15, 2018 10:12 a.m.

My first reaction to this play was it was a reaction to the targeting rules. Williams' instinct was to crush the receiver. But then his mind flashed to a targeting call and a fifteen yard penalty to set up a field goal. Of course, we'll never know, but it's the only explanation I have.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 10:11 a.m.

He missed the play but he didn't miss his response to it. He's good man of strong character with great athletic ability.

• Osgrath Cedar Hills - Utah, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 10:07 a.m.

Someone here feels it appropriate to evoke Bill Buckner referring to this play. There is no comparison. Buckner was at the end of his career, Williams is just starting. We always remember more recent events: Buckner's error put a stamp on his career, the next decade or so will define Williams'. We can be pretty sure Williams will redeem himself many times over in coming years, given his gifts, skills, heart and professionalism.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Jan. 15, 2018 9:39 a.m.

In reference to this tackle and Andrew George....

Utah: STILL not tackling right.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Jan. 15, 2018 9:37 a.m.

@ Uncle Rico - Provo, UT - Jan. 14, 2018 7:31 p.m. - "Bad play by Williams, but he did have an interception that put them in position to win - without that they lose. The Saints defensive coaches have to also take a lot of the blame here. Better defensive call with 10 seconds left was needed."

It was all the defensive coaches' fault?

Buddy, those defensive coaches have about as much responsibility for that horrible tackle attempt as I do for your silly post.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 9:20 a.m.

As a rookie he earned the starting spot on a very good NFL team, had 5 picks for the season and continues to have the support of his coaches and team mates. Watch him go and bring positive attention to himself, his NFL team and Utah Utes Football as his career progresses. Go Utes in the NFL!

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 15, 2018 8:32 a.m.

I can see where Pugman is coming from. How a professional football player can miss such an easy tackle, and look so awful attempting it, is beyond comprehension. Yeah, I kind of feel bad for him, but sheesh, I’ve never seen such a poorly missed tackle even in Pee-Wee football! The game was over if he just makes that simple tackle!

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 8:05 a.m.

Ouch! That's going to hurt for a long time....

• SportsCenter Olympus Cove, Utah
    Jan. 15, 2018 7:54 a.m.

If Williams had made even slight contact the receiver would have gone down (since almost did with no contact), but Williams completely whiffed, except for taking out his team mate.

A Bill Buckneresque play that will likely follow him the rest of his career.

• 3grandslams Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 7:06 a.m.

Lot of people trying to cover for Williams, especially his teammates, good for them. But this was flat out embarrassing and nothing more than trying not to get hurt. This is the playoffs, lose and go home. Save the pretend hit for regular season games that don't count.

• ute alumni Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 6:55 a.m.

Defensive backs never wrap up. Just shoulder back moping. Very pathetic

• LVCoug Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 5:47 a.m.

I don’t know if “missed tackle” paints an accurate picture of what happened there.

• FollowHim1st Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 15, 2018 3:32 a.m.

Most awesome moment was when the Vikings QB said that this was the third best moment in his life, surpassed only by giving his life to Jesus and marrying his wife. What an awesome testimony!!!

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 12:53 a.m.

I'm a BYU fan but can't help but feel sorry for the former Ute. Almost a hero, instead a laughingstock. It just shows the importance of always following the fundamentals of the game.

To those saying this is proof of a rigged NFL, I don't see it. Williams didn't do that on purpose to throw the game. He just messed up big time is all. It happens, even to really good players such as himself.

• SportsCenter Olympus Cove, Utah
    Jan. 15, 2018 12:26 a.m.

Not only did Williams completely whiff on the tackle, he took out the only other Saint who had even the remotest of chances of making the tackle.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Jan. 14, 2018 9:59 p.m.

I feel sorry for the poor guy.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 14, 2018 9:38 p.m.

Marcus Williams now the dubious honor of quite possibly the worst defensive play in nfl playoff history.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Jan. 14, 2018 8:46 p.m.

The NFL is about as real as pro wrestling.

• Pugman Tremonton, UT
    Jan. 14, 2018 7:54 p.m.

Watch the last play of that game. No one will ever convince me that that game wasn't thrown.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT