Letter: The new tax plan only hurts Utah's middle class

• The Real Maverick Spanish Fork, UT
    Jan. 3, 2018 3:05 p.m.

@ Sammy 1977

Why should families get handouts for overbreeding? What happened to self sufficiency? Accountability? Why is our government encouraging people to have so many more kids?

• Anti-Trump Everett, WA
    Jan. 3, 2018 11:34 a.m.

I STILL demand to see Trump's taxes -- especially now....

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Jan. 3, 2018 10:48 a.m.

As with any legislation, there will be winners and losers. But the only certainty with this legislation is corporations are winners, big winners. Someone said corporations are the new kings. Somewhere along the way we all, including our government, started serving the best interest of corporations instead of the best interest of our society. The latest tax bill's fundamental argument is that we will be better off when our corporations do better. If you believe that, you're probably a Republican. If you do not, you're probably a Democrat.

• Sam1977 Salem, UT
    Jan. 2, 2018 10:37 p.m.

I think Mr. Meservy forgot to include the child tax credits in his calculation. Both hypothetical families should receive a substantial tax decrease when that is included.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Jan. 2, 2018 8:03 p.m.

"...typical Utahn families of two working parents with a combined income of $60,000 and four dependent children ranging from 17 through 24 that are trying to get through school. Right now, non-itemizers in this scenario pay taxes of $2,521. Under the new law, it would be $3,939. Not good."

Fake news is when you cherry-pick the data to support a specific political narrative. Something tells me that those numbers were picked for a very specific reason.

By my calculations, $60K in income with a less that $4K tax has an effective tax rate of less than 7%. That sound pretty fair to me.

Yet when my effective tax rate was 28% last year, Democrats howled about how I was not paying my fair share. I am well above 'middle class' (Just like Fred44 is with his $140K income), but when it is considered sad by the left when someone with $60K has to pay a measly 7% and considered scandalous by those same lefties when rich people 'only' have to pay 39%, I just have to roll my eyes.

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 2, 2018 7:15 p.m.

I am married filing a joint return combined income of about $140,000, with no dependents. Using the Trump Tax Calculator it looks like I will be paying about $1500 more with my middle class tax cut.

I think many Utahn's without children in the home will find themselves in a very similar position.

• JDS2018 Draper, UT
    Jan. 2, 2018 4:33 p.m.

I too have been concerned about the effect of the new Tax Act on Utah families.
    You cite an example of a family of six with a combined income of $60,000.
    They would have their taxes increased from $2,521 to $3,939 per year.
    The four children are too old to qualify for the new $2,000 child tax credit.
    However, I understand the new law has a $500 credit for older children still in school. i
    This would reduce the tax by $2,000 to give $1,939, which less than the $2,521.
    This same tax of $1,939 is also calculated by the The Trump Tax Calculator on the internet.

• Opinionated Sandy, UT
    Jan. 2, 2018 1:03 p.m.

I know a way to help your finances. Let your 17-24 year old kids take care of themselves. Also, who owes $2500 a year in property taxes for a house with a $200,000 mortgage, unless your house is well over half paid off--if that is the case, congrats, because most middle incomers can't say that. Also, there are incredible intricacies in the tax law, both old and new. I for one just received my new turbo tax, which I suspect is not up to date with the new law...so I think your calculations may be a little premature and possibly based a little on hyperbole.

• The Real Maverick Spanish Fork, UT
    Jan. 2, 2018 12:40 p.m.

Is he wrong to think his voters will overlook his terrible voting record? Voters in Utah have shown an incredible ignorance of the issues and voting records. All that seems to matter to most Utah voters is if they are Mormon and Republican. If they looked at the records they would learn that their constituency consistently voters to make their lives worse.

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    Jan. 2, 2018 11:28 a.m.

"Believe me. I am not going to benefit from this one bit. Believe me."

It is like, you cannot make this stuff up.

• OneWifeOnly San Diego, CA
    Jan. 2, 2018 11:24 a.m.

Dear Utah: I have not forgotten how you voted. The man you voted into office is the opposite of everything I understood those of your faith stood for. As my parents would say, you reap what you sow. You have a chance to start correcting the course on November 6th. You can start now by making sure you are registered to vote, are familiar with the issues and with the voting records of those already in office.

• Thomas Jefferson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 2, 2018 8:42 a.m.

He isnt naive...he just thinks most of his voters are. And I tend to agree with him on that.

• cmsense Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 2, 2018 7:49 a.m.

Very disturbing numbers this letter presents.

The GOP tax cut pretty much guarantees the wealthy a tax cut. The middle class not so much. The fact that it could double the taxes of some in the middle class is frightening. The corporate tax and wealthy tax rates should of been higher as well as the "carried interest" should be taxed at personal rates as promised.

I'm not a CPA, so I was hopeful. I am hopeful that because all my kids are under 18 that the child tax credit will be good for us.

I'm not fond of the GOP "broadening the base" (raising taxes on the middle class to give tax cuts for the wealthy).

They believe in broadening the base only when it benefits their donors. When it comes to health insurance being fair to all, all of a sudden they don't believe in broadening the base. It seems they joy in putting the individual market into a death spiral for those who don't get subsidies. That used to be me. It is still bad policy. That part of this bill is also terrible for the middle class.

• JWL Seattle, WA
    Jan. 2, 2018 6:57 a.m.

Trump said he’d cut your taxes, and that the super-rich like him will pay more. But this new tax law does the opposite. By 2027, according nonpartisan analysis, the richest 1% get 83% of the tax cut.

• Utefan60 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 2, 2018 6:51 a.m.

Great letter and researched well. Thanks for showing us something that Hatch, Love, Lee and their GOP led ilk are doing to many of us. Did they even do any research before shoving this ill conceived "tax cut" on us? (Tax cut for the upper 2%)

Follow the money with Hatch. It shows a complete lack of honesty and concern for the middle class, the poor, seniors and those on fixed incomes.

I would have thought that Hatch at this late stage in his life would have stood up to this sickening corruption, and flagrant give away to the rich. But I guess even in old age someone still clings to power, money, and influence over the good of their fellow man.

Sad that the GOP has corrupted and taken this country on this path.

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    Jan. 2, 2018 5:32 a.m.

LIving in a high income tax state, you can be assured that some in Montana will indeed see their taxes go up. And many of these people aren't billionaires who can manipulate their taxes to cushion that blow.

Just who did the trump/Hatch tax bill really give substantial benefit too? Wasn't many here.

• Copybook Headings Draper, UT
    Jan. 2, 2018 5:12 a.m.

Another story in keeping with the 'narrative'. And when it doesn't come true they'll just move on to something else that explains why they're the best and Republicans are evil.

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    Jan. 2, 2018 4:39 a.m.

In a recently emailed newslatter from a Utah State senator, himself a longtime businessman, got me to see that professional politicians are always on the prowl to see what new thing they can tax.

Much ink on addictive opioids has been used in the last year.

I would assert there is an equally oppressive & as devastating addiction to OPM (Other People's Money) by politicians at all levels.

Outside of rumor Trump plans to cut govt spending do I hear of any talk from other elected officials.

But I don't necessarily trust any politician, Trump included, to yield as severe a hand in lowering govt spending as I, as a taxpayer, would.

I have not seen any genuine decrease in govt spending. Much of the bureaucracy of govt is a waste of taxpayers hard-earned money. I don't care how well-intentioned it is.

My mother would often say that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. And I would underscore that the road to a hellish burden of government debt is paved with supposedly good intentions by politicians and their spendthrift counterparts outside of government.

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    Jan. 2, 2018 2:19 a.m.

I had to check with my neighborhood Trump Supporters and of course they are paying nothing in taxes and are laughing at use who are paying taxes.

Keep in mind, they are also more patriotic than us who don't support Trump.

• kazie Heber City, UT
    Jan. 1, 2018 9:12 p.m.

I checked what my taxes will be under this "big beautiful Christmas present" and as an over-70 widow on a fixed income they will go up. No sure who this tax bill benefits beyond billionaires and politicians.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Jan. 1, 2018 6:15 p.m.

I ran my taxes under the new law... and my taxes go up significantly under this new "middle class" tax cut. I'm not sure what middle class Hatch was referring to.... but his staff should have run the numbers before passing this bill. They obviously didn't run them.... because the math versus the claims are miles apart.

I was going to shift my "Home" state back to Utah..... but it makes more sense for me to use Texas as my home state. With the deductions for mortgages and state taxes being so reduced... just can't afford to pay income tax in Utah. I'll also be moving all my properties in Utah that aren't yet under a corporation to one so their expenses can be fully deducted.

If you haven't set up a personal corporation.... I would do it.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Jan. 1, 2018 5:20 p.m.

"I like Sen. Hatch, but he has been naive about this tax plan and apparently doesn't know math."

He knows math. He knows the dollars that corporations send to him. That's what makes him vote for their best interests over those of average Utahn's. You, and your "conservative republicans" vote against your own best interests and those of your neighbors.

• Strachan Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 1, 2018 4:42 p.m.

I appreciate hearing from someone who has gone to the work to prepare something demonstrative. Thanks.