20 of the best quotes from Bill Walton during the BYU-Utah broadcast

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Dec. 24, 2017 5:22 a.m.

I liked #18. Learning how to speak is my greatest accomplishment and your worst nightmare. Of Bill Walton's quotes.

He is so correct.

Press mute please.

• Max Upstate, NY
    Dec. 23, 2017 2:47 a.m.

Bill Walton was the best part of the game. I fell asleep before game time and woke up only for about the last 10 minutes. My regret wasn't that I missed most of the game, my regret was that I missed most of Bill Walton.

• Wasatch Al South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 22, 2017 5:02 p.m.

I really enjoy Bill. He loves the scenery in the state of Utah and does a better job promoting it than the state tourism commission. He’s better than listening to the endless basketball statistics we hear on KSL radio.

• vb Clearfield, UT
    Dec. 22, 2017 11:37 a.m.

For those who don't like Walton: next time just turn down the TV sound and listen to Greg Wrubell insert a commercial with every dribble, pass, shot and turnover. "That was the Depends lack of dribble of the game".

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Dec. 22, 2017 10:04 a.m.

I love Bill Walton - only he can make a college basketball game interesting.

• vasislos Holbrook, AZ
    Dec. 22, 2017 9:36 a.m.

Hated much of the Walton "color" commentary. Added little to the game and was all about Walton self-promotion. When we learn more about the commentator than about the players, guess who the commentator thinks is more important?
    I tuned in to watch basketball not listen to stupid comments.

We already have one Dick Vitale and one Dick Vitale is one too many.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Dec. 22, 2017 9:27 a.m.

Walton is a rather boring, bordering on irrational, loose cannon occupying space on your tv which would be better used by viewing static.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Dec. 22, 2017 6:27 a.m.

Bill Walton is a lovable, loose cannon!

And, I agree with him:. "The Immortal Irishman" is an awesome book. All of Timothy Egan's non-fiction books are awesome. His fiction may be also.

😁

• The Blue Side Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 22, 2017 12:11 a.m.

@69: No...having to drive home after the game knowing your team got whipped is painful. Getting to listen to Walton throw accolades on BYU is priceless!

• 1Reader Alpine, UT
    Dec. 21, 2017 9:54 p.m.

That's fantastic. So funny.

• utahute69 Laguna Niguel, CA
    Dec. 21, 2017 9:35 p.m.

Having to listen to Walton is painful, especially when you spend season after season with his never ending attempt to sound like an intellectual. He is probably one of the most insecure people in sports broadcasting. The PAC 12 would be doing a big favor to basketball fans by letting him go. Oh and do we need to have him talking about coal burning plants in Utah while we are focused on the game?

• utah1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 21, 2017 8:35 p.m.

By my calculation only 4 of Utah's 18 upcoming games will be broadcast with Bill Walton. That leaves 14 where I will not have to mute the TV.

• no fit in SG St.George, UT
    Dec. 21, 2017 8:31 p.m.

I understand lots of people like him....
    But the guy never stops talking!
    Really distracting during the games.

• Mr. Boris Layton, UT
    Dec. 21, 2017 7:03 p.m.

Bill Walton is classic but enough of the PAC 12 "conference of champions". Nobody cares about softball, gymnastics, swimming, golf, skiing, and rowing.

• 76Cougar Raleigh, NC
    Dec. 21, 2017 6:46 p.m.

My favorite exchange:
    Bill - This is the best I have seen McKay Cannon play!
    Roxy - When have you ever seen him play before.
    Bill - Well...in the first half.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Dec. 21, 2017 5:40 p.m.

Funny, #9 is exactly what I was saying at the half time break.

• xjam54 Lehi, UT
    Dec. 21, 2017 5:32 p.m.

I've always been a huge fan of Bill Walton ever since his UCLA playing days. His comments were very complimentary to the state of Utah and BYU. He has a very wry sense of humor. He is one of those guys that sees something ironic or humorous were others don't get it.
    I saw Bill Walton play in the NCAA Far-West Regional basketball tournament in the very first year of the Marriott Center (I think it was his Senior year at UCLA along with Henry Bibby). I was a junior in high school and was on my high school varsity basketball team in a small high school from Southern Utah. My high school coach took us to the NCAA tournament that year and I got to see Bill Walton play. BYU didn't make it because the Kresimir Cosic led cougars were beaten in the sub-regionals (at Idaho State I think) by Long Beach State in a very controversial game. The Bruins played Weber State the first night and killed them. But it was fun to watch because a player on Weber State was from my high school. The Bruins went on to win the NCAA that year. I'm sure that Bill has fond members of the Marriott Center and he briefly referred to playing there during the BYU-Utah game.

• Nothern Cougar Perry, UT
    Dec. 21, 2017 5:23 p.m.

I wish I could have turned off the TV sound. ESPN commentary was a waste and a distraction.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Dec. 21, 2017 3:07 p.m.

The irony of that situation is that BYU is an uber-conservative campus and Walton is an uber-liberal guy.

• WarmPost slc, UT
    Dec. 21, 2017 2:21 p.m.

Yes, Walton was amazing that night!