BYU's Rose enjoying Schroyer's impact not only on defense but also in offensive efficiency

• top of the world ,
    Dec. 19, 2017 6:48 p.m.

A team can enjoy moderate to good success with good coaching and average athletes. To win the big games, a force in the middle is needed. And I don't mean someone who is big and therefore has the ball thrown to him and no one else. I mean a guy who is big and who can defend the tall centers the Y will be facing as the season progresses. A guy who can sweep the boards and dish to those who are open.

I don't see that at the Y, not this year. Go Cougs!

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Dec. 19, 2017 6:36 p.m.

Or better yet, Rose retires and BYU hires Schroyer to the the HC.

• Back Talk Federal Way, WA
    Dec. 19, 2017 6:10 p.m.

So if Schroyer does he Defense and has a big impact on the Offense, what do those other coaches do?

It doesnt appear to be recruiting based on the latest signings.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 19, 2017 2:06 p.m.

The change is like night and day, and not just for your team. It wasn't that long ago that coog fans were rejoicing in the post-Fredette, no D run-and-gun, while making fun of Utah's 'boring' style.

Welcome to the new world, same as the old world.

• burningblue Provo, UT
    Dec. 19, 2017 12:43 p.m.

I don't think Heath Schroyer will stay forever. He wants to be a head coach somewhere. He'll probably stay for 2-3 years and hopefully at that point Dave hires another assistant coach because obviously not having a Heath Schroyer on staff doesn't cut it.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Dec. 19, 2017 11:13 a.m.

A lot of games left to play, but I like this team and its culture. It has changed for the good.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 19, 2017 10:52 a.m.

Agree that the team has bought in to the new defensive strategy, except maybe one player. I think Seljas would be starting instead of coming off the bench if he could play defense. He still spends most of his time on that end of the court watching his man go around him with ease.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    Dec. 19, 2017 10:12 a.m.

With the addition of Schroyer it seems that LaComb and Lewis are redundant and unnecessary. I mean the guy is clearly dominant in this new paradigm.

It would be a great budget move to lighten the staff.

• Guns_n_Roses Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2017 9:26 a.m.

I'm already a huge fan of Heath Schroyer. I was at the Utah game in the Marriott Center and his presence and involvement on the court was very noticeable. Welcome back to Provo and please stay!!

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2017 9:01 a.m.

I have been a BYU fan for about 60 years and before the hiring of Heath Schroyer I was very concerned about where Dave Rose was taking the program. So now, I must give Coach Rose some credit for having the good sense to bring Coach Schroyer back to the program. There is no question that Coach Schroyer has made a very big impact on the team's defense and overall strategy. As has been said, we fans are crossing our fingers that Kilani Sitake's hiring of Jeff Grimes can have a similar impact on the football team. It's about time BYU recognizes that these teams need more toughness and discipline and not just a Sunday School approach to competing. Now I'm not saying the players shouldn't be great at sportsmanship and manners, but I am saying they need to play hard and focus on winning!

• Sore loser Oakland, CA
    Dec. 19, 2017 4:49 a.m.

Props to Texas Southern for playing such a tough schedule, I wonder what BYU’s record would be if they played the same teams as Texas Southern

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Dec. 18, 2017 10:39 p.m.

I see the Cougars losing about 4-5 more games. If that comes to fruition, they have a shot at the NCAA Tourney, more than that and it's back to the NIT.

• blue & white Boise, ID
    Dec. 18, 2017 9:12 p.m.

I like what Heath Schroyer has done for BYU basketball. Hope he stays for a long time. We have been struggling for a few years on defense and now its much better and I think an improvement in offence. Hopefully we can see the same in BYU football with Coach Grimes. Sometimes a team will need a new perspective offered by an experienced coach. For football and basketball we should have more experienced coaches than what we have had in the past. It may require a higher payroll but its worth it. If we want to be in a P5 conference we need to pay like we are a P5 team and get the best coaching talent. Go cougars!