Jay Evensen: Why Utahns can sympathize with Trump's Dennis Rodman problem

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    Dec. 17, 2017 8:24 p.m.

So when I say that SK will have some losses, I mean people will die there.

So no need to tell me that people will die there.

If you supposed that my list goes on order of deaths, please note that point #1 is a single individual.

So thanks for trying to disagree with me while making my point, it's gracious of you!

• kolob1 Sandy, UT
    Dec. 17, 2017 10:09 a.m.

@ london_josh - lincoln, CA
    5. SK will have some losses

You had better re-write this statement. 50 % of the South Koreans live 50 miles away from the North Korean Border. Both capitals are only 120 miles apart. The border of South Korea is only 35 miles away. Metero Seoul is a total of 50 miles away. So go refigure when you state

"5) SK will have some losses."

• kolob1 Sandy, UT
    Dec. 17, 2017 9:56 a.m.

A cute write up full of cliches and insignificant side remarks. What is important is that Donald Trump talks out of both sides of his mouth. The difference between Trump and other politicians that do the same is Donald Trump believes both versions coming forth from his mouth.

• Common sense conservative Herriman, UT
    Dec. 17, 2017 9:22 a.m.

An insecure, attention starved former NBA rebounder with crazy hair and highly dubious awareness of history and world events as an ambassador to the most dangerous regime in the world....Well that makes about as much sense as an insecure, attention starved reality TV show mogul with crazy hair and highly dubious awareness of history and world events in charge of the world's most powerful military. Maybe Ron Artest can be our Secretary of Defense.

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    Dec. 17, 2017 1:47 a.m.

If I recall correctly Rodman's comments about Mormons where just what you'd expect, it was Phil Jackson's apology that was even worse because it too was ignorant and dismissive.

As for NK, it's not handled by Dennis or Donald, but Xi will take care of it.

China already pulled the protection back away from NK, they'll move before or with the US to crush this quickly because if a war breaks out the losers in order are:
    1 un will be dead by day 3
    2 millions of NK citizens
    3 China will own a mess to clean up and a huge humanitarian issue
    4 China will have political issues in an area that they want to remain King over
    5 SK will have some losses

China will be a huge part of this, and trump knows that and has a good name in China, he's far more popular right now than Obama was for several legitimate reasons.

Now I'll open it up for liberals to tell me that I'm wrong and that despite me having made 14 trips to China this year that I'm clueless because I disagree with them.

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    Dec. 16, 2017 1:51 p.m.

Nichol Draper

You said: "He really couldn't do worse than previous administrations."

Really, I mean really? Insinuations aside, your notion that no previous administration has had better representatives to foreign countries is more than a little off base.

Presuming you are a trump supporter (and if you are not I sincerely apologize for the insult), is there anyone that trump could foist on the American public that would even raise your eyebrow?

Have you read about the 2 judicial nominees made by trump that have been withdrawn from consideration. They were both so bad and lied boldfacedly that even the lapdog GOP had them un-nominated. One could not even answer Law 101 questions almost any fool could answer without breaking a sweat. The man was a complete nincompoop, as are many other appointed positions that trump has filled.

I can understand the slavish devotion to the president, but why defend such a ridiculous preposition that Dennis Rodman is a qualified international diplomat.

• wgirl Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 16, 2017 11:31 a.m.

I wish I was surprised to read Trump's praise and recommendations of Rodman. If Rodman pours a little praise on Trump he could find himself Secretary of State.

What is deeply saddening is to read responses like @Nichols.

• Nichol Draper West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 16, 2017 6:59 a.m.

I have no problem with Dennis Rodman representing the USA even as official ambassador to North Korea. Having a personal relationship with both the presidents is a great advantage. And so what if Dennis is a little nutty. You would have to be to nutty to take that job on. Maybe Dennis is good at rebounds and international diplomacy. He really couldn't do worse than previous administrations.

• Husker2 Aspen, CO
    Dec. 15, 2017 2:46 p.m.

I don't think Trump could care less about Rodman.

If I were Rodman, I'd worry about offending Kim on one of these trips to NK. The Little Dictator would lock Rodman away for a few decades and forget about him.

• JBs Logan, UT
    Dec. 15, 2017 1:26 p.m.

Trump, Rodman, and Un share many similarites in personality and how they deal with people. Why would Trump view Rodman as a problem?

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Dec. 15, 2017 10:45 a.m.

@GaryO;
    "I was going to contribute to the Salvation Army, but I might as well denuclearize North Korea and save the world instead."

Ha! Quote of the day! Please save us. Thanks for the wit. Have a good one.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    Dec. 15, 2017 9:58 a.m.

Re: “’I’ll tell you what the Marshal wants more than anything. … It’s not even that much,' Rodman told the Guardian . . . Rodman said Kim is a Frank Sinatra fan. The Marshal likes The Chairman.”

So . . . Kim Jong Un wants what? . . . A CD anthology of Sinatra's greatest hits? That would make him happy?

I’ll spring for that. What’s Kim’s address?

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    Dec. 15, 2017 9:47 a.m.

Rodman and trump are proof positive that a person can excel at a certain task (Rodman - athletics, trump - self promotion), yet be a complete dolt in the rest of their life.

And we reward these one trick ponies with immense wealth and notoriety.

What does this say about our society? Why isn't the local teacher, retired volunteer or selfless public servant accorded even a modicum of the riches and fame that these "stars" have?

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Dec. 15, 2017 9:38 a.m.

trump . . . . rodman?

About equal to one another, aren't they?

• Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2017 9:35 a.m.

Dennis Rodman would have been a more qualified and slightly less bizarre presidential candidate than Donald Trump, but oh well.

And who really knows if Dennis Rodman would have been as obsequious as Donald Trump, to our true leader Vladimir Putin?

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 15, 2017 9:32 a.m.

Rodman is a sad case. He seemed to be a fine young man until the culture of celebrity caught up with him. Trump, Rodman, and Kim are all unstable individuals. The damage they represent to the world is incalculable.

Jay Evensen seems more peeved about Rodman getting inside Karl Malone's head thirty years ago. Let it go, dude.

• Say No to Trump Payson, UT
    Dec. 15, 2017 9:24 a.m.

If you are not confused, then you simply do not understand.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Dec. 15, 2017 9:09 a.m.

What a strange era we live in where adding Dennis Rodman to Trump's staff would actually lend it credibility and stability.