BYU-Utah basketball rivalry is renewed after one-year hiatus and series of strange events

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    Dec. 16, 2017 5:35 a.m.

For TDS fans, the other shoe has fallen on The Boxer. “Powder puff” only defines Nicks whimpyness. He got ejected for throwing a punch. It really doesn’t matter how hard the punch was...does it??

He has left BYU now (in a Subaru).
    He is under NCAA investigation.
    Mrs. Nick has left the building.
    He sent a text to K of apology.

The dude has issues, he is working on them. Coogie fans just need to accept this and watch the game tonight with hope for a good outcome. Quit defending a dweeb that isn’t asking to be defended.

Howbow dah?

• GoRed Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2017 1:16 p.m.

After reading every comment here, I have found the following: Most of the Utah fans are resigned to playing the game and didn't care for Emery's tactics. They also support their coach in having a "cooling off period". Most BYU fans commenting here are quick to mock Coach K for wanting a cooling off period, and they justify Emory's sucker punch, alleging that Taylor had it coming, etc.

Can any rational fan reading this see the problem here?

• But seriously folks! Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2017 8:50 a.m.

JSKM,

If you are able, try to keep up. I don't need a cooling off period, as I stated in an earlier post I would rather see the games cancelled, period.
    Funny that there is no posts excusing LK actions that night that caused him to be physically restrained. I guess the crimson colored glass have become more and more clouded.

• Utes83 Rock Springs, WY
    Dec. 15, 2017 7:32 a.m.

Love the rivalry, always have but.....again the Utes find themselves in a "lose, lose" situation with BYU. The programs are too far apart now, Utah doesn't gain as much as they lose if BYU wins. This has become a pro BYU game in football and basketball. I would just like to see BYU lose with dignity anymore, instead of starting brauls at bowl games and throwing punches in basketball games.

• worf McAllen, TX
    Dec. 14, 2017 11:49 p.m.

All rivalries do is cause bitterness.

Why not stop this craziness?

• top of the world ,
    Dec. 14, 2017 6:51 p.m.

Tom The Ute. Excellent comment. One correction, though. My not watching the game has nothing at all to do with the 'punching' episode of a couple of years ago in SLC. However, I very much appreciated your thoughtful comment and gave it a 'like'. Have a swinging holiday and a very good new year.

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    Dec. 14, 2017 5:30 p.m.

No one commenting on LK's comment that, had Emery called to apologize/etc, the series would never have been interrupted? Even assuming that's true, best (mature) kept to yourself, and serves no purpose in revealing. Rather, it negates most or all of the explanation given at the time by you, exposing this as more as a juvenile tantrum than reasoned adult response.

To Coach Rose, the folks at Weber State and Utah feel they are premier programs in the state of Utah as well.

• Jello is Good ,
    Dec. 14, 2017 2:19 p.m.

@Utahute72 - Tooele, UT
    Dec. 14, 2017 9:28 a.m.

"So despite all the snide comments from BYU fans, coach K was actually right. Everyone needed to gain a little perspective and perhaps the one year break was what was needed. We'll see how the time off has impacted the BYU players and fans this Saturday. The truth is this game just isn't as important to Utah as it is to BYU. But even for BYU this game is less important than the football game. Both teams have their respective conferences to play for and this is a nice little end to the preseason for both."

Oh, stop it. What Crisco and Hill did was far more childish than Emery in the heat of the moment of competition. Nobody learned anything and Crisco was wrong. We will see how much this time off has impacted Crisco's hot-headed temper. Hopefully he will be able to control himself.

As to how important this game is, remember that sports at the end of the day is about entertainment and not just conference championships. If so, only a few teams would have fans and it would mean that Utah and BYU have been failures every year they didn't win their conference. People want to see this. That's why it's on ESPN2.

• JSKM1232 Sandy, UT
    Dec. 14, 2017 2:07 p.m.

@But seriously folks! - Salt Lake City, UT

"EK,
    Taylor did the same thing a year earlier to a BYU player with no consequences from Crisco or the AD. And then in another game he tried to intentionally trip a player that was running by, once again with no consequences from the coach. Quite a double standard on the hill.

I give an Mmmy award to Taylor for rolling on the floor holding his head when indeed the punch that never landed was nowhere near his head. Taylor was playing it up to get an ejection of a player.
    The most enjoyable part was when LK tried to attack Emory but was restrained by a player and coach. I wonder why that is never mentioned?

By the way there is no one in the national media who supported the Utah program for the cancellation of the series. LK got a huge black eye for it.............."

- - - - -
    Need another year or two "cooling off period", apparently one year is not enough for you? Or is it you just like to harbor bad feeling about Coach K? It appears ALL of the involved people have moved along and gotten over it we should all do the same.

• But seriously folks! Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2017 11:53 a.m.

EK,

Tom the ute, I have heard just the opposite from people who played against him, and by the way the police in Montana have no love loss for him.

• Tom the Ute SLC, UT
    Dec. 14, 2017 11:12 a.m.

Hi Top of the World. A bit critical of Coach K are you? Let me ask you a question. Did it work? I heard you won't be watching. But nonetheless, IMO, you will see a competitive, well played game. You won't see elbows, cheap shots, or punches. Also, regarding "that game," Utah was up 19, at the time of the punch, and up 23 at the half. It was a blow out. IMO, the alleged goading by Taylor all game, just didn't happen (goading from the MUSS a different question). Final comment...I live by Coach K in Cottonwood Heights, arguably 50/50 Utah BYU. I can not find a Cougar fan, who really "knows" Coach K, who does not like him. He is a good neighbor, and good friend to everyone around here. And a very good coach!

• top of the world ,
    Dec. 14, 2017 10:58 a.m.

Utahute: Snide comments? More like good fans expressing their opinions, just as you do in every post you make. Why are they snide, just because they don't agree with you?

There are many posts that are very fair and well-balanced. There are also those that always take the low road and find ways to comment in a demeaning manner. On two occasions over the years I've done the same thing. The others I've managed to delete prior to hitting send.

The important aspect in collegiate sports revolves around the success and well-being of the players, not the fans or coaches. The players are front and center. They are the ones with the talent. They are the ones doing the work. Coaching is not a difficult profession, and the money that is involved is out of reason. Compared to a good school teacher, coaching is a walk in the park.

Players from one team are not more important than those from another. Can anyone honestly refute that?

Go Cougs. Good luck playing without a true center.

• top of the world ,
    Dec. 14, 2017 10:39 a.m.

Coach k, as you call him, was not right. Not in any way, shape or form. And this fiasco was not all on Emery's shoulders. He should not have given the Ute player a powder puff shot, but there was a great deal in that game that led up to that mammoth blow. Players need to learn how to take all the guff thrown at them and not retaliate. It's always the one who retaliates that gets the flag/whistle.

I won't be watching the game, not that it will make any difference to anyone on this troubled planet. I can't stand watching Coach k scream at his team. It's small wonder that so many of his players leave the program.

I'll read about the victory the next day. The question is, victory for which team? I think the Utes will win because the Y has no center. The nice record to this point will not hold up as the season progresses. Having said that, no one wishes I'm wrong more than I do.

• JSKM1232 Sandy, UT
    Dec. 14, 2017 10:17 a.m.

@Christine B. Hedgefog - Salt Lake City, UT

"After watching Emery's ill-advised and childish reaction to the game long goading by Taylor on youtube, the picture at the top of the article - of Taylor laying on the floor holding his face - is still worth a thousand words. The powder puff punch from the smaller cougar didn't touch anywhere near where Taylor's holding his face. Gross exaggeration for effect no doubt.

Is there a public accounting of the four $20,000 installment payments? If coach is paying over four years who is paying the accrued interest on the balance? Taxpayers?"
    - - - - -
    Apparently a "year cooling off period" is not long enough for you. It appears most of the involved have moved along and gotten over it.

• Utahute72 Tooele, UT
    Dec. 14, 2017 9:28 a.m.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2017 9:24 a.m.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Dec. 14, 2017 5:14 a.m.

This game has been my favorite sports competition for more than fifty years! Wow! It's now fifty-five years since I saw my first BYU-Utah basketball game in the Smith Fieldhouse! The volume was so loud in that gym that I could yell as loud as I could and still not hear myself!

What an event! What a tradition! Great teams so many years!

I love the Cougars and am a HUGE Utah fan as well. I look forward to watching this game on ESPN2. I hope the team in blue comes away with a victory . . .but just watching this game will be a treat.

I hold no ill will toward anyone at the U. I have great respect for the team and Coach K. Let's be polite, BYU fans, in welcoming Utah to the renewal of this series!

LC

• cjd1 Draper, UT
    Dec. 13, 2017 9:47 p.m.

This will be a nice warm up game for the Utes to give their second string players some game time experience. 4-0 Go Utes!

• ekute Layton, UT
    Dec. 13, 2017 9:45 p.m.

But seriously folks!.
    I don't disagree with your assertion...and would only add that Coach K had good reason. The onus is on your coach, players and fans to not let it happen again.

• But seriously folks! Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2017 9:17 p.m.

Personally I would rather they never play again. Last year Crisco had to be restrained by Jordan Loveridge and an assistant coach of he would have torn into Emory. The cooling off period was for him to cool off, not the players.

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 13, 2017 8:43 p.m.

I look forward to it too. Looks like a good matchup, pretty even. I don't think home court has a lot of value for this one. The team that executes the best will win. Could go either way.

Go Cougars!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 13, 2017 7:49 p.m.

I look forward to it; good matchup up, pretty even.

Go Utes

• SIMPLICITY Denver, CO
    Dec. 13, 2017 6:45 p.m.

3 in a row and counting...

• Deanvrtc Vancouver, WA
    Dec. 13, 2017 6:31 p.m.

I'm glad BYU actually seems to have a "team" that will compete with Utah again. Last year it was a one man show in Mica, and very selfish play from the young guards. This year, with better coaching on defense, the team.... actually looks like a team. Despite Nick Emory's basketball talent, he was an emotional drain on his teammates and very selfish in his play. I hope he "grows up" and returns a better young man and better basketball player. This game with the Utes should be a good contest. Go Cougs.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Dec. 13, 2017 6:01 p.m.

Agreed, and that especially applies to those sitting on the benches.

• GoRed Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2017 5:30 p.m.

If the game between the two schools has to be played, let’s do it with good sportsmanship from both schools.