Rise & Shout Podcast: The basketball rivalry is back

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 14, 2017 10:57 a.m.

After reading his wildly amusing "owned" comments here, I remembered jimmiedeester proclaimed on another article:
    "No I'm not a coug fan. I'm actually a Weber State alum, and I'm not even local to the state of utah. I have no horse in this race"

Methinks he protest too much. But keep the 'false flag' flying--the entertainment value is great!

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Dec. 14, 2017 6:55 a.m.

@Jimmydeester......."wallbanger
    dont try to spout off ute accomplishments. we are talking straight up BYU vs Utah basketball. BYU has beaten utah by more games, and has beaten them soundly by more points. BYU owns Utah in basketball."

Just as Utah completely owns the mighty cougies in Football, right Jimmydeester?

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 14, 2017 6:27 a.m.

Jimmy:

I proved you wrong with your “owning” comment! The series is pretty much even where it is. Then you resort to “byu has beaten Utah by more points”. WOW! I provided actual stats. I’d like to see you provide one where in all of the cougs wins, how many were “beaten them soundly by more points.”? Does byu have a slight edge in the series? Yes! Are they the complete “dominant” or “owning” team. No! Either way, should be a good game Saturday.

• JimmyDeester West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 13, 2017 9:23 p.m.

wallbanger

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 13, 2017 8:25 p.m.

JimmyDeester:

“BYU owns the little school on the hill in basketball.”

Oh really? So with the series being at 125-128, byu being up on the Utes a measly three games is “owning”? Okay then!
    Is “owning” also the cougs ZERO final four appearances compared to the Utes 4? Or the cougs 3 trips to the ‘Elite Eight’ compared to the Utes 6? Or maybe the Utes’ ‘Sweet Sixteen’ appearances being at 16, campared to the cougs, a whopping 7? Not to mention, Utah’s 1944 championship. I guess that’s “owning” in basketball? A little research is fun comparing stats and history, isn’t it? But I’d say, the cougs aren’t owning anything, except defective life vests that probably won’t save them from the ‘Indy Titanic’!

• JimmyDeester West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 13, 2017 5:06 p.m.

Y'all know we are talking about basketball here right? Sure byu has closely lost a few matches these recent years, but in general, BYU owns the little school on the hill in basketball.

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    Dec. 13, 2017 2:23 p.m.

"I cannot figure out why the media insists on calling everything between the Utes and the Y 'rivalry'. For most fans, it is merely a game."

First of all the media wants to create a frenzy and sell stories, it's always a fierce rivalry no matter what - yet to their credit the teams usually make it a great game.

Second, there are a lot of fans who don't look at the game, they are the really vocal minority who are looking to prove something through the game that has nothing to do with the game - and as much as I disagree with their injection of non-sports emotion into sports, it does fuel a huge rivalry aspect.

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    Dec. 13, 2017 2:16 p.m.

Stringer,

"resume builder"? Are you confusing football with basketball?

If BYU beats the Zags and St, Mary's a few times they'll go to the tourney, I hope you understand that basketball is unlike football, even Cinderella has a chance, but that being said the West Coast conference plays in some small arenas and some small schools, but that's one tough conference. How did Utah do against Gonzaga last time they played?

Basketball is a pure tournament, you win and you advance, great model, I know that the Utes wished that football followed the same model in 2008. No resume needed, you can beat a bunch of nobodies and go to the tourney, you just need to win once there.

Utah faces a few tough PAC teams from Arizona, I'd say that BYU doesn't face as hard of teams consistently but getting past Gonzaga and St. Mary's is tough and once in the NCAA tourney the West Coast teams often surpass the PAC teams while breaking some hubris, and everybody gets a chance.

• Juice Box Eureka, UT
    Dec. 13, 2017 12:30 p.m.

Doesn't BYU need to actually beat Utah in recent years for it to be called a rivalry?

• itswhatithink West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 13, 2017 12:06 p.m.

• MRM Layton, UT
    Dec. 13, 2017 11:59 a.m.

tinkerbell

Don’t kid yourself.

BYU is a better resume builder for Utah than half of your PAC 12 opponents and most of your OOC opponents.

• Stringer Bell Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 13, 2017 11:32 a.m.

BYU-P’s game against Utah is a “resume builder” for them. Again, the same cannot be said for Utah. Nothing gained at all by beating them. So- who’s the “little brother?"