Dick Harmon: Amid coach hiring circus acts, former BYU cornerback Derwin Gray offers advice

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Dec. 3, 2017 7:50 a.m.

“As a leader you will see in kids what they don’t see in themselves."
    This is a very profound statement. It's indicative of exactly what was not going on this year in Provo. The coaching staff was so focused on showing the world how wonderful they all were they didn't take time to do their job. Turning boys into successful men on the field is a God given talent that did not exist on this team. If the staff stays nearly the same next year will be no different. They can yell more, scream more and intimidate more but being a "coach" is not what they're doing. If major changes don't happen the program will not change for years to come. I might be a Utah fan but I surely appreciate good football when I see it. I've seen a lot of it coming out of Provo over the years. Good football was not evident at all this year. If Holmoe can't do the job find someone who can.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 2, 2017 1:19 p.m.

Dick,
    Does this mean that you are still in the BYU camp? With your last article, I thought you had left!

• Groucho Marks Lehi, UT
    Dec. 2, 2017 9:34 a.m.

Derwin is spot on. Good coaches put their personal aspirations aside and motivate the person. My son plays for a great coach at Skyridge High School. He brings the best out of him and the team with the tag line "Do Your Job!" Thank you for this article Dick.

• EPoint Roy, UT
    Dec. 2, 2017 8:49 a.m.

Thanks for this, Dick Harmon. Ty should have stayed, but his downfall was perhaps not anything less than that he hasn't enough experience coaching in the college ranks to be OC. Be great if he stays on staff, to show his commitment.

My take on past seasons for TY as OC is that the pro-style offense may be too difficult for the amateur college kids who don't get as much time to practice as the pros do. Simplify and show more faith in the natural talent of the players, let them move forward at a step-by-step pace that matches their age and experience.

Gotta coach 'em from where they are, not from where we wish they were.

• Rockyrd Gilbert, AZ
    Dec. 1, 2017 3:29 p.m.

I like Derwin Gray and remember him well. He's absolutely correct, but doing what he says does not always result in longevity for a coach. Ty Detmer, who I also like, is one of the classic examples. How could you not want your kid to have Ty as an example of what a person should be?

• John Brown 1000 Laketown, UT
    Dec. 1, 2017 2:57 p.m.

Thank you, Harmon, for this article. And perspective. And the link to Gray's comments. Awesome.