Letter: Reasons why I didn't vote for Donald Trump

• What in Tucket Provo, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 9:01 a.m.

You have to see through the camouflage. Look at what Mr. Trump does not what he says on twitter. We have a great economy, foreign policy, more freedom with some of the 22,000 regulation removed, a tax cut looming which may help corporations and that helps all of us. How can anyone say we are doing worse unless you are a socialist.

• RedShirtHarvard Cambridge, MA
    Dec. 6, 2017 6:52 a.m.

To "Fred44" and your point is what?? Did it crash because of things the Republican did, or did it crash when the Republican was in office? There is a difference. If Kansas is the best example you have, then it only proves my statement that most locations run by Republicans do well.

However, tell us about the Utopia that Chicago has become. You know, that place where there are hundreds of murders every year. Or how about Detroit, you know that city that has had 50+ years of control by Democrats and lacks clean drinking water.

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 5, 2017 3:10 p.m.

Redshirt

Kansas was fine going back and forth between republicans and democrats but it crashed under Governor Brownback and the republican legislator that slashed taxes for corporations and the wealthy using the same model just passed. So you don't like Kansas, give me an example of a state that slashed taxes for the wealthy and corporations and had an endless flow of money. I get that you can cherry pick cities that have a multitude of problems and blame those on democrats, but give me a state that slashed taxes like this plan does and saw increased revenue.

• barfolomew Tooele, UT
    Dec. 4, 2017 12:54 p.m.

@ Thomas Jefferson

"He [Trump] was born on third and thinks he hit a touchdown."

That's how he got the pole position and won game, set, match, right?

I've said enough.

I'll make like a tree - and get outta here.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Dec. 4, 2017 6:37 a.m.

To "Fred44" I don't think you understand the "typically". That means in most cases, but not all. Kansas is one of those that is not typical. Also, if you want to look at the past 50 years of Kansas, it has gone back and forth between Republican and Democrat. It isn't exactly what I would call a Republican controlled state.

However, if you would like, we can talk about Detroit or Chicago, or we can talk about California or New Jersey.

The point is there are many more locations that have huge problems and have been Democrat strongholds for decades.

• sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    Dec. 3, 2017 6:40 p.m.

I did not vote for Hillary. I did not vote for Trump. And, yes, I can look at myself in the mirror every morning.

• pragmatistferlife Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 2, 2017 12:22 p.m.

2bits "I don't remember any of this heated hatred towards Barack Obama when he was elected. Except a few radical racists."

You clearly weren't paying attention then. Good for you for not stooping to that level, but it was rampant.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 2, 2017 7:40 a.m.

I don't argue with any of the mentioned criticisms of Trump, which only makes it that much more spectacular that he was belter than the alternative.  The more unhinged that the left (not the letter writer) gets in their criticism of Trump (legitimate or not), the more my hold-the-nose vote is validated.  The more Stephen Colbert and CNN screech, the better Trump looks; and making him look good in comparison is a really really really deep level to drop to

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    Dec. 1, 2017 5:19 p.m.

2 Bits

Your logic (get over trump's election and stop demonizing the man) would be impeccable were it not for a fatal flaw.

trump is no ordinary President. He has not maintained the dignity, the comity and the respect for others that virtually every other President in the history of the country has proffered. His dishonesty alone disqualifies him, not to mention his shady business connections and past sexual predation.

For that reason alone, your argument fails.

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 1, 2017 4:10 p.m.

Redshirt,
    You said: "Republican run areas typically are doing better than the Democrat run ones."

Like Kansas? Using the exact model be pushed today by Trump and the Republicans ya that's gone well in Kansas.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 1, 2017 2:58 p.m.

@Happy Valley Heretic
    Did you have a problem with people who didn't support Barack Obama?

As I recall... a lot of Democrats had problems with people who didn't support the President back then.. They called them ugly names, like "Racist" if they didn't support the President.

I'm not calling anybody ugly names. But I am suggesting you give the new President a chance. The "Down with Trump" rallies started the day he was inaugurated.

I don't support Trump's morals. I don't like him as a person. But he is the President of the United States.

And I did support Barack Obama just as much as I support Trump today, when he was President.

I'll question and disprove of their policies and actions in office, and speak my mind. But I don't hate either of them. The level of hatred Liberals feel towards Donald Trump is unparalleled in American history IMO.

But this isn't just a few radical fringe-left groups. This hatred of Trump is ridiculous. It's just politics people!

Doesn't matter if you voted for him or why... it's over now.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Dec. 1, 2017 2:23 p.m.

To "Open Minded Mormon" I wouldn't exactly call Huntsman Jr. a Mormon. Yes he once belonged, but has since gone off the reservation.

Huntsman Jr. doesn't even call himself a Mormon. The Trib had an article about him back in 2011.

• Anti-Trump Everett, WA
    Dec. 1, 2017 2:15 p.m.

Mike Richards and J Thompson are to PROUD - hard hearted or stiff necked to just admit that Donald Trump is not what thought he was....
    they bought into all the lies, and got a real lemon.

that,
    or they are hypocrites to their own morals, principles, country and Constitution....

I can answer for them, but that's what it seems.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, WA
    Dec. 1, 2017 1:28 p.m.

@RedShirt - USS Enterprise, UT
    Dec. 1, 2017 12:39 p.m.

To "LDS Liberal" then please, tell us who you voted for. You couldn't have voted for a Democrat because their view on abortion is contrary to LDS doctrine. You couldn't have voted for any Socialist because that is contrary too. The Libertarians support drug laws contrary to LDS teaching. About the only Candidate I can think of last election that meets your test was McMullin.

======

I've told you a THOUSAND times --

Win or Lose --
    I did what the LDS 1st Presidency asked ALL of us to do and voted for who BEST represented me.

I voted for Mormon Republican Evan McMullin last election.
    I voted for Mormon Republican Jon M. Huntsman Jr. the election before that.

I am UN-affiliated and I always vote for the person and never the party.

So,
    Neither of them "won",
    but I can safely say I did not compromise my morals or integrity just to say I picked a "winner".

I can also stand before God with a clean and clear conscious with no blood on my hands...

BTW -- I hope that is the last time I have to keep reminding you....

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Dec. 1, 2017 1:18 p.m.

2 bits said: "I didn't vote for him either (for the same reasons you listed). But he's President now. Get over it. I did. Time to get over your reasons you hate Trump and let him be President."

Some of us will keep our souls, thank you.

Glad you got over it.

That's your choice to ignore what a horrible person you will support, for me the choice is simple, I don't have to respect him, that is earned.
    I don't have to support his agenda, if I find it abhorrent.

1 bits also said: "Quit constantly trying to undermine him and destroy confidence in the President Democrats and media folks."

Seriously is there anything he has done, or would do, to shake his loyalists? It appears not, It's not the Dems or the media, it's Trump himself, who is his own worst enemy.

America isn't about conforming with other sheep, because the GOP suddenly thinks we should all support the president, when the GOP refused to even work with Obama on their own bills.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Dec. 1, 2017 12:39 p.m.

To "Becky Hepworth" and who did you vote for? Trump and Hillary are virtually interchangeable in your letter.

The bigger question is what are you going to do next election? Are you going to just sit back and support the Democrat because it isn't Trump? Or are you going to support a 3rd party candidate.

We get letters like this all the time, and hear it from the liberals who comment here. We know you don't like Trump, but now what? What are you PERSONALLY going to do next time?

TO "Kent C. DeForrest " ironically the Republican run areas typically are doing better than the Democrat run ones. That should be proof enough that Trickle Up economics that Democrats favor fails.

• Bob A. Bohey Marlborough, MA
    Dec. 1, 2017 11:56 a.m.

GingerMarshall - Brooklyn, OH Nov. 30, 2017 10:28 p.m. wrote: @Mike Richards: A few facts...
    ...facts matter. Apparently Ginger, not to some people.

• Edgar Samaria, ID
    Dec. 1, 2017 11:52 a.m.

J Thompson said, " Democrats doubled the debt. Democrats gave nuclear secrets to North Korea. Democrats are supported by Weinstein and Hollywood. Trump is not."

Are you sure you want to play that game J?

When Ronald Reagan took office in 1981, the national debt was $998B. When he left office in 1989 the debt was $2.8T. So can we say he tripled the national debt. And when George H. W. Bush left office in 1993 the debt was over $4.1T. So that looks like a quadruple.

Your accusation that Democrats gave nuclear secrets to North Korea has also been debunked. Clinton did negotiate a deal in 1994 to provide two nuclear reactors and provide heavy fuel oil to North Korea in exchange for the country giving up its nuclear weapons program. The energy aid costs didn’t approach anywhere near $5 billion, and the reactors were never built. The agreement, while a failure, didn’t give North Korea nuclear weapons. Experts said the agreement actually slowed North Korea down.

Educate yourself man.

Democrats may have been supported by Weinstein but when the news of his crimes were reported, Democrats no longer supported him. Compare that approach to the Ray Moore case.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 1, 2017 11:09 a.m.

Do you really think anybody cares why you didn't vote for Trump?

Or why you didn't vote for Obama?

Those are your reasons. But it doesn't matter now. He's President. Your reasons aren't going to change that now.

Time to get over your reasons you hate Trump and let him be President.

I don't think he's going to be a good President (never thought he was President material). But he IS President of the United States. Time to get off his back and put your list of reasons away until next election and let him lead and do the things that got him elected, and see if he can do anything good.

I hope he can do something good.

I know he will make mistakes. There's not a President who has not made mistakes (even Obama).

No matter what he does... about 50% of Americans are going to be upset by it. So that alone dictates he's going to make some people unhappy, and some are going to consider anything he does a "Mistake" (whether it is or it isn't).

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Dec. 1, 2017 10:22 a.m.

An excellent letter.

Alas, once again the Trump apologists here are trying in vain to defend their support of him over Hillary. In terms of competence, morality and sanity, how can anyone say Trump was a better choice?

Even if we concede that Hillary was a bad candidate, when the choice is between bad and truly terrible, intelligent people choose bad.

• Ford DeTreese Provo, UT
    Dec. 1, 2017 10:03 a.m.

The Republicans put Trump in office, knowing full well how dangerous, unqualified, and imbalanced he is. Now they are trying apologize for him. And all the Mike Richards of then world can come up with is that Hillary would have been worse. Sorry, but Hillary would have been a capable and stable president with a solid intellectual and practical knowledge of policy. She's a wonk more than a politician, after all. But that's all water under the bridge. Now we've got Trump, and the Republicans are trying to justify his presence on the grounds that he'll rubber stamp their horrible legislative ideas—the repeal-and-replace disaster and the tax-"reform" bonanza for their wealthy donors. This is a party that has not had a good idea in 40 years, and it is getting worse. Please, Utah, stop voting for these incompetents.

• Edgar Samaria, ID
    Dec. 1, 2017 9:49 a.m.

So far in this thread, there are plenty of comments stating why Trump should never have been elected. But now that he has been elected, here are some reasons why he should be removed from office.

1. He has diminished U.S. leadership in the world. The Trump administration in one year has undermined U.S. leadership throughout the world.

He withdrew the United States from the Trans-Pacific Partnership with 11 nations desperate for U.S. protection in confronting Chinese dominance. And now we see eleven nations signing a TPP agreement without the United States and Trump finding no takers for his offer of bilateral trade deals.

2. He has undermined faith in our democracy. The president’s former campaign chairman and his deputy are under indictment, a former foreign policy adviser has pleaded guilty, and a special prosecutor is, presumably, just getting started. The president, his attorney general, his former national security adviser, his son-in-law and other advisers all have been caught misinforming or giving incomplete information about their relations with Russia.

3. And he has turned Americans against each other. All you have to do is watch the news.

He should removed.

• Kent C. DeForrest Provo, UT
    Dec. 1, 2017 9:46 a.m.

Hard to argue with anything in this letter. Makes me wonder when Utah Republicans will start abandoning their highly corrupt and immoral party of choice. They don't even bother to trot out the old trickle-down nonsense anymore. They just serve up disaster after disaster and expect their mindless constituents to keep voting them into office. As Trump would say, "Sad."

• Edgar Samaria, ID
    Dec. 1, 2017 9:39 a.m.

Bobster -I have no doubt that your statement " Trump was able to win because enough voters felt that his opponent was a worse choice" is exactly true. But I think the problem with that statement is the reason felt that way.

You see most Americans who try to stay current in the affairs of our nation rely on people and institutions they have trusted over the years. A couple of those institutions are the press and Congress. People usually end up watching specific TV stations whose political slant matches their own. In Utah there is a conservative slant to most peoples beliefs so they listen to their conservative Congressmen and Congresswoman and they listen to Fox News. Both of these institutions have made it one of their top goals to damage the name of Hillary Clinton. Over the years Congress has spent millions holding hearing, such as the seven separate Congressional Committees who held hearings on the Benghazi tragedy and all of them came to the same conclusion - there was no wrong doing on the part of the Secretary of State. The same could be said about the FBI email investigation.

Certain members of Congress and Right Wing media have done you a disservice.

• J Thompson SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Dec. 1, 2017 9:27 a.m.

The left is so willing to throw mud even as it ignores Bill and Hillary's and Obama's lies, the "pay to play" system the made the Clintons rich, their selling of our uranium to a nation that has long been our enemy, Weinstein's open wallet to Democrats, George Soros' close ties with Democrats. They ignore the Democrats illegal desire to take away our Constitutionally guaranteed right to keep and bear arms. The ignore the fact that only those who openly embrace abortion can run on the Democrat ticket. They pretend that illegal aliens who sneak into our country are here legally and deserve anything that government provides. They believe in a government that is promotes everything that the Constitution prohibits.

One poster even claims that "his" church accepts and promotes all of those "qualities" because Trump is not a Democrat. What total nonsense.

Trump is opposed by liberals because he stands for everything that they oppose and he stands for nothing that they want. They oppose everything that made America great. Democrats doubled the debt. Democrats gave nuclear secrets to North Korea. Democrats are supported by Weinstein and Hollywood. Trump is not.

• Thomas Jefferson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 1, 2017 9:21 a.m.

This letter is spot on.

Trump has spent his life surrounded by sycophants. He has never done a day of work in his life. He was born on third and thinks he hit a touchdown. His narcissistic personality disorder is rivaled only by Kanye West.

But the worst part of this dark time in American history is the fact that 30% of Americans are so blind to these simple facts or worse yet, actually LIKE that about him.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    Dec. 1, 2017 8:22 a.m.

trump will be the ruination of the USA-
    Our Canadian and European friends can not fathom how he got elected, nor how boorish and immature his behavior is.
    He in no way represents any of the good of America-

• embarrassed Utahn! Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 1, 2017 8:07 a.m.

Hillary Clinton would be doing a fine job as president right now.... and that is a fact.

Trump Being elected will never cease to boggle my mind!

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Dec. 1, 2017 7:47 a.m.

I get a kick out of it when people in Utah tell me trump is in office because the parties offered two horrible candidates.
    I missed the part where Clinton burned down the orphanage. They were not somehow equally bad candidates, and that is being borne out in the mess we are watching today.
    Bernie Sanders may or may not have carried the day. We'll never know. But he would not have carried Utah. Our votes went to the worse of two candidates, the access Hollywood guy. That would have been the case no matter what.

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    Dec. 1, 2017 7:34 a.m.

I did not take long for the "But Clinton..." crowd to erupt in their usual fashion. The "But Clinton" crowd loves to nanner endlessly on about discredited conspiracies attributed to Mrs Clinton. Oh, and she certainly stretched the truth, though not entirely up to trump standards. All this seems to inure them from any of trump's obviously gaffs, falsehoods, inconsistencies and misbehavior.

It is not about Clinton anymore. She lost. Get over it.
    And Obama is not President. He served the maximum. He's gone. Get over it.

Well, that's the advice you gave us Democrats after George W left office and a mess to clean up.

• Daedalus, Stephen ARVADA, CO
    Dec. 1, 2017 7:33 a.m.

@GingerMarshall: "Facts matter."

...only for approx 65% of Americans of presently.

An improvement from a year ago to be sure, but not yet sufficient to keep GOP Representatives and Senators from losing sleep.

Their claimed benefits of the GOP "tax reform" bills are wholly dependent upon a presumption that facts do not matter.

Can you blame them?

Why should fellow Republican Trump get all the fun?

• Prometheus Platypus Orem, UT
    Dec. 1, 2017 7:30 a.m.

Because it's easy to spot a narcissistic jingoist, who thinks they are running for most popular person, not a leadership position, he seriously thought the presidency was like being king or dictator.

He used and continues to use racial slurs, and childish name calling.

I never like All Star Wrestling either... to fake.

• EPJ Grantsville, UT
    Dec. 1, 2017 7:13 a.m.

I voted for the one candidate who did not possess so many stomach-turning character traits: Evan McMullin.

To pre-comment on the naysayers, we ALL agree the other two choices were nausea-inducing in one form or another. Remembering who I did NOT vote for allows me to look at myself in the mirror each morning.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Dec. 1, 2017 7:03 a.m.

Reasons why I didn't vote for Donald Trump

=====

1. "Principles compatible with the gospel may be found in various political parties, and members should seek candidates who best embody those principles." ~ LDS 1st Presidency

2. "Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?"

Enough said....

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Dec. 1, 2017 6:38 a.m.

The reason I didn't vote for Trump?

"In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days."

Such as dirty industry, eliminating our sacred national monuments, war mongering, draining coal debris into our streams, de-regulating predatory corporations, busting up our alliances, appointing unqualified judges, encouraging white supremacists, harassing women, petty revenge, etc. etc. and, above all, acting like a profane, spoiled infant.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Nov. 30, 2017 11:29 p.m.

@Mike Richards

"Hillary Clinton lied about the cause of the slaughter of four Americans in Benghazi and about her use of a private email server that contained top secret State Department. "

Bush lied about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. 5000 military lives and I do not know how many civilians lost their lives. Keep on talking about four Americans under Clintons watch.

• No One Of Consequence West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 30, 2017 11:20 p.m.

Our two self-interested political parties gave us the two worst possible candidates for President in 2016. Anyone who donates money to either of these parties after that should be ashamed of themselves.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 30, 2017 11:09 p.m.

I didn't.vote.for Trump because he is the.rise of American fascism.

• GingerMarshall Brooklyn, OH
    Nov. 30, 2017 10:28 p.m.

@Mike Richards:

A few facts.

President Obama said: "I will sign a universal health care bill into law by the end of my first term as president that will cover every American and cut the cost of a typical family's premium by up to $2,500 a year." Much different than your claim.

Eight congressional investigations into Benghazi came up with bupkis, but then House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy admitted it was all political grandstanding: "Everybody thought Hillary Clinton was unbeatable, right? But we put together a Benghazi special committee, a select committee. What are her numbers today? Her numbers are dropping."

North Korea had a nuclear reactor and was producing weapons grade plutonium before Clinton was in office. He convinced them to shut the reactor down and give up the plutonium in exchange for help building two light-water reactors for electricity but not able to produce weapons-grade material. No secrets.

Bill Clinton was impeached for perjury because he lied about an affair. He was not ever charged with or convicted of any crime requiring registering as a sex offender.

Facts matter.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 30, 2017 9:45 p.m.

I'm with you on all those reasons. But, you omitted that this "great businessman" bankrupted 2 casinos. Really- he managed to bankrupt casinos. It takes a special kind of business acumen to bankrupt a casino.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Nov. 30, 2017 9:38 p.m.

Mike - you should be against liars regardless of party. And yet.... your sole excuse is the Clintons did it first. Hardly a justification for turning a blind eye to the current occupant of the White House.

Just this week Trump pulled another doozie.... claiming Time Magazine had called him to see if he was interested in being Person of the Year - to which he claims he declined. And of course Time Magazine immediately denied any call was made. Just like before them the Boy Scouts and the President of Mexico.

The best Republican for the office is one who upholds Republican/Conservative values. But if anyone is a Rino - it's Trump. He demonstrates no connection to conservative values what so ever.... other on the business side of things. He claims he is for states rights, but then says his solution to Obama Care is to take away states rights to regulate the insurance industry in their own state.

There are things I like about Trump. I like that he will on occasion change his mind rather that stick to some poorly contrived dogma. But his morals and propinquity to fabricate daily.... not something the leader or nation should be known for.

• Daedalus, Stephen ARVADA, CO
    Nov. 30, 2017 9:09 p.m.

I could never have voted for Trump because I own a bathroom mirror.

More precisely, because I must see my reflection in that mirror every morning, I avoid doing those foolish and shameful things that I know will cause me to gag when I again stand before the mirror at the start of the next day.

Until the 2016 election, I naively aasumed everyone had at least one mirror in their house.

But as we now know, nearly 50% of Americans did not own a bathroom mirror in November 2016.

The good news is that the percentage of mirror-less Americans has dropped to the mid-30s in the year since.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Nov. 30, 2017 7:39 p.m.

People can complain all they want about Trump, but just think what would be happening to America if Hillary continued Obama's agenda -as she promised.
    I do all the time. We'd be better off. I missed the part where Hillary burned down the orphanage. But I did note that she didn't brag about sexual assault. She seemed to have empathy towards others, and did not resort to stupid name calling. She didn't get along with Putin, which isn't necessarily bad. She is able to speak in complete, adult sentences, and simply comes across as intelligent. I miss that; we're sure not seeing it now.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 30, 2017 7:27 p.m.

All good points. But, the big one that I don't get is that this "great businessman" managed to bankrupt casinos. Do you know how hard it is to bankrupt a casino? Casino's are almost a license to print money. It's like bankrupting the US Mint. (which may be his next feat).

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 30, 2017 6:32 p.m.

A Democrat violated a woman in the Oval Office. He was impeached but a Democrat Senate refused to convict. Hillary Clinton lied about the cause of the slaughter of four Americans in Benghazi and about her use of a private email server that contained top secret State Department. Obama lied to every American when he told us that every American family would save $2,500 per year with ObamaCare. Yet the letter points fingers at a Republican who has been lied about by the media instead of demanding answers from a Democrat President who must register as a sex offender.

Clinton aided North Korea with nuclear secrets in violation of our Constitution that requires the Senate to ratify all treaties. He made a mess that only a man like Trump can fix. Obama did nothing for eight years while North Korea developed a nuclear bomb.

• Bobster , 00
    Nov. 30, 2017 6:21 p.m.

The dilemma many voters faced in the 2016 presidential election had nothing to do with Trump but with his opponent. Donald J. Trump, with all his flaws, was the preferable candidate in the minds of millions of Americans. Now you might say that these Americans amounted to a "basket of deplorables" who lacked good judgment and common sense, but I don't believe that is true. Trump was able to win because enough voters felt that his opponent was a worse choice. Unfortunately, too many elections end up being between the lesser of two evils. The unanswered questions about the video in connection with Benghazi and Mrs. Clinton's lying to the families of the fallen soldiers about what happened were more than enough to keep me from voting for her. I was surprised and overjoyed when Trump won. Not because I thought he was a great candidate, but because of the alternative choice.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Nov. 30, 2017 6:07 p.m.

Do we think it is any coincidence that the nation has become highly sensitize to bad behavior by men in positions of power? Just maybe the positive of Trump's Presidency is that behavior like that which Trump bragged about, men in power having their way with women has come to the forefront, society has said enough.

Now if we can get the same net result from Trump's lying.. that society says enough of the dishonesty, maybe some net positive will come from all of this.