Twitter reacts to Ty Detmer's ouster as BYU's offensive coordinator

• Old Navy Provo, UT
    Nov. 28, 2017 11:03 p.m.

Am I the only one who thinks Tom Holmoe should go too?

• AFCoug Colorado Springs, CO
    Nov. 28, 2017 12:13 p.m.

Love Ty Detmer and hate to see him go. The offense was bad and I think we all know it was not entirely his fault. Mangum was horrible and could not make a read. I think ECU and especially UMASS were the deciding factors. Horrible defenses. BYU recruits at nearly the same level as the U and better than several P5 teams.

The D is bad. They could not get off the field on 3rd downs. Gave up to many big plays. The lack of talent shows more in Kalani's system than Ty's.

BYU's most athletic defenders are their linebackers and yet Kalani runs a 4-3 defense against spread dominated college football. Get Warner, Pau'u, Unga, Hadley, on the field and find the next Van Noy. The D got no pressure on the QB with 4 300+ linemen rushing . Put the athletes in.

Man to Man is a disaster at BYU. They simply do not recruit enough talented corners. This is another argument for a 3-4 defense and zone play in the secondary. Mendenhall knew this and played a bend not break secondary. BYU's corners were continually burned or played to far off (10+ yards on 3rd and 8). Zone could have fixed many of these issues and yet Kalani seems to stuck in his scheme to play to BYU's strengths.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 28, 2017 10:24 a.m.

It's not the coaching, it's the talent. Or lack thereof.

• samuel h wiscomb Sun Lakes, AZ
    Nov. 27, 2017 9:42 p.m.

Why fire Detmer??? Why not fire the PLAYERS who failed to perform?

• Eastern CO Coug Elizabeth, CO
    Nov. 27, 2017 9:40 p.m.

I agree with the decision. Loved Ty as a player and love him as a person. Great guy, but the offense was beyond bad. Been watching for over 40 years. Inability to get first downs and horrible play calling plagued this team. Nothing like throwing a bomb on a 3rd and 1 or giving the ball to the lightest RB on the team for the same situation. What personally put me in favor of firing Detmer was the fact that the team's freshman QB, with no prior experience, won 2 of the last 3 games with practically the entire team being injured. Proved to me the injuries were just an excuse Detmer Fans had for a bad season and horrible offense that could not cross the 50 yard line in a game. No in game adjustments. Look at the good old days folks, when Mike Holmgren tore it up with a bunch slow wide receivers, slow linebackers (remember Ken Schmidt's bend but not break defenses that gave up so many points), and slow running backs. Talk about lack of talent. BYU did not have much back then but had defenses confused and scored at will. A return to greatness can occur folks.

• vasislos Holbrook, AZ
    Nov. 27, 2017 9:22 p.m.

Not one single poster knows a thing about what happened internally.

None know the conversations that took place among Sitake, Detmer, Holmoe, and others.

None know what agreements were made or how Detmer feels about the dismissal.

But total speculation is the order of the day.

I think Detmer is one of the good and honorable people and I was hoping that he could perform a miracle at BYU. Starting with the Portland State game, things just did not seem right. The offense just did not execute or inspire. I denied the obvious for so long out of respect for Detmer but in the end, he was not able to do the job. I also hope he stays on in some capacity. From High School to major college offensive coordinator in one jump was asking too much. I think, if he still wants to coach, that he has the capacity to learn, improve, and to have a very successful career in college football.

• Arizonagolfer mesa, AZ
    Nov. 27, 2017 4:06 p.m.

Prediction: Ty, the classiest and most applicably intelligent QB to play and coach at BYU will coach at the college level and excel. What BYU and Tom Holmoe did is a disgraceful considering the injuries and difficulties the team had. I will remind you that the defense was no stellar piece of work, but the injuries on the offensive side of the ball were staggering. Oh, and Ty couldn't put a winning combination on the field when that was as hard as keeping people healthy in the middle of the smallpox epidemic. Now, I am realistic, the offense sputtered early this year but I put that on Mangum's poor decision making and there were so many open receivers that were missed or not even thrown to, but, that is Detmer's fault? Maybe because he stuck with Mangum too long. Ty, go be a success somewhere else. You don't owe the University anything! You have given enough, so I say go back to the ranch or go coach in a top conference because you have that much talent. I am embarrassed by my alma mater today. Pack up and go hunting my friend, you have given enough and we still owe you for who you are and what you have meant to cougar football.....past and present!

• Wise-sage Pleasant Grove, UT
    Nov. 27, 2017 3:14 p.m.

I understand why Sitaki had to get rid of Detmer. Cause if this happens again Sitaki will be gone. Here are the facts we are rated at or near the bottom of every offensive statistic period. FYI Portland State finished 0-11 and gave up an average of 50 plus points a game. BYU could only score 20 pnts and that was the lowest points that PS gave up. Ty is a great guy but anyone with a brain would have to admit that the offense was terrible period. Hopefully he can stay on and learn, but Ty needs to do what is best for him and his family, he will always be a legend

• Wise-sage Pleasant Grove, UT
    Nov. 27, 2017 2:58 p.m.

Ty was a great player, so hurts to say this but his offense was terrible. We saw it last year but Williams, Hill and the defense with all their take ways and scores hid it Remember the first 3 games showed ho inept the offense, it was terrible. The receivers also need a lot of work, why Burke didnt get much action, i don't understand, he is a Williams clone.

• dmb Lehi, UT
    Nov. 27, 2017 1:51 p.m.

I don't like the firing of Detmer. He is a winner and a class act. He deserves at least one more season. We should now beg him to stay and take the quarterback coach position. He deserves that at the very least.