Lindsey Stirling finishes in second on 'Dancing With The Stars' but shares testimony in finale; another Mormon wins Mirror Ball

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Nov. 27, 2017 6:00 a.m.

To all the Bluenoses......

to quote Bruce R. McKonkie......

"The Church has no need for the Fanatic!"

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    Nov. 26, 2017 8:47 a.m.

I don't know about this show particularly. I have tried watching dancing competition shows b'c my wife likes them, but always am repulsed by the poor standards and suggestiveness of "dancing" these days.

• MabelPines Pleasant Grove, UT
    Nov. 25, 2017 6:50 a.m.

Lindsey always carries herself with such grace and poise, she shares her testimony in a beautiful and articulate way. She is a wonderful role model and representative of our church - plus she really can dance!! Congratulations girl, we rooted for you the whole way!!

• Shmitty Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 23, 2017 12:24 p.m.

Also, some saying that athletes and swimmer wearing this and that due to the sport, what if a person used that excuse to wear something really immodest because they are an exotic dancer or model or entertainer, would their chosen profession justify tossing aside what they have been taught? I see the same line of reasoning with these dancers.

• SpÄter73 Hughson, CA
    Nov. 23, 2017 1:05 a.m.

If the gentleman in this "sport" were showing more leg, chest and shoulders like the women I might be willing to agree that the clothing makes a difference in performance. I would argue that there's very little that could be suggestive or sexy about watching a swim meet or gymnastics. However, much of the dancing is very suggestive. For this reason, I do not care to watch.

• Chknltl Roy, WA
    Nov. 22, 2017 11:28 p.m.

This is to Fuller in Mesa Wa.
    I can tell you that Lindsey Stirling is out on tour. As she regularly plays Spokane, I think she will be in your area in early December. I live a bit South of Tacoma and will be seeing her on the 18th of Dec. in Portland Ore. I do not know how much you know about Miss Stirling but for us who are her longtime fans she is an inspiration-a person much larger than what you saw on DWTS. She is the 'Darling of YouTube' because of her music, because of her videos and because she reaches out to those who listen, teaching them how to (in her words), "write your own story because it truly is yours to write!" Lindsey Stirling is the real deal, she has an inner humbleness that rivals the great Dolly Parton, she appeals to young and old alike. Oh and she calls herself a "nerd"! I would recommend the following videos from Lindsey's Official YouTube Channel, LindseyStomp: "Crystalize", "Beyond The Veil"; "Transcendence (Orchestral)"; "The Arena" and ....well pick and choose as you will at random because she has dozens and dozens of wonderful songs. Should you choose to come see her, here is a direct quote to you from Lindsey herself; "Welcome to the family."

• fuller55 Mesa, WA
    Nov. 22, 2017 7:52 p.m.

I’d love to hear more info on these three young women.. Are they the only LDS dancers on DWTS? Are they married? I’ve loved watching Lindsay and Whitney go from So you think you can dance to DWTS.. Also Jenna!! She is one of my favorites too.. Jenna reminds me of the dancer Ann Miller!! Loved her dancing .. long legs great extensions.. Wish the DWTS tour came to Spokane or Kennewick Washington.. They would sell out.. even Boise.. I’d drive 4-5 hours to watch !! My youngest two daughters teach ballroom dancing and I love watching them too !! Please tell me more on these ladies.. thanks!!
    Sincerely, MaryEllen Stoker Basin City, WA

• chuckster Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 22, 2017 6:52 p.m.

Reply to Kevin. I absolutely understand what you mean regarding garment standards. Perhaps this is similar to other sports where you dress differently due to what you do . . .racing is one sport that comes to mind. . swimming..seems to me that with the type of dancing you need to do on this program, a dancing costume probably isn't going against standards. Just my take on it.

• Sandy C North Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 22, 2017 2:41 p.m.

Focusing on the positive... It was so impressive to see the improvement of these beginner dancers. I admire their teamwork, dedication, sacrifices, and courage in the face of a number of challenges. They put themselves out there, not sure where it would lead. It was fun to see the creativity and fun they had with this season. All three finalists deserved to be there, and worked harder than I can imagine to get there. Lindsey Sterling's humility and graciousness have left a lasting influence on my life.

• Chknltl Roy, WA
    Nov. 22, 2017 1:49 p.m.

As a 'Stirlingite' fan I naturally rooted for Lindsey to do her best. I am thrilled that she was able to achieve second place. Lindsey's experiences from this competition will serve her well throughout the rest of her life, she will be an even more amazing 'Dancing' Violinist than ever before! Once again Lindsey Stirling has put her life out there for the world to see and be inspired by. We her fans, (and her many new fans from DWTS), are the real winners here. Our hat is off to Jordan Fisher and Lindsay Arnold for an amazing run and for their well deserved win. Thank you Dancing With The Stars and each and every contestant for this season.

• VIDAR Murray, UT
    Nov. 22, 2017 1:44 p.m.

And_im_a_mormon - Salt Lake City, UT

Do and internet search on BYU Gymnastics and tell me their clothing is more modest than the clothing worn by the performers on dancing with the stars.

• VIDAR Murray, UT
    Nov. 22, 2017 1:18 p.m.

Wookie - Omaha, NE

You probably will want to stay away from swimming pools and gymnastic meets. Most of these costumes are similar to a swimsuit or gymnastic clothing.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2017 11:01 a.m.

@Wookie

Do we use the excuse that this is dance and thus it’s acceptable?

Who is "we"? Members of the Church?

I'm in my 5th decade in life as a faithful member and let me suggest one thing. Worry more about "I" than "we".

• No One Of Consequence West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 22, 2017 10:46 a.m.

Who's on first?
    I realize that this article was focused on Lindsey Sterling, but it omitted the details of who took first, while hedging about it.

• And_im_a_mormon Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2017 10:42 a.m.

Wookie: Finally someone says it. Not to put words in your mouth, but there is more than a subtle difference between "agency" and "compromise". How many young women have faced suspension (or worse) at BYU for wearing a sleeveless shirt? Since when is hypocrassy on the Mormon menu?

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    Nov. 22, 2017 10:06 a.m.

I didn't see anything immodest about her costumes! I saw gracefulness and a beautiful display of art!

• Seattlefan Kent, WA
    Nov. 22, 2017 10:06 a.m.

Wonderful performances by all contestants and their partners. I believe the fact that the live online voting for the finals was only open to viewers in the Eastern and Central time zones may have affected the outcome since Lindsey Sterling probably had a greater following in the Mountain and Pacific time zones where live online voting was not available for the finals.

• Kevin Surrey, BC
    Nov. 22, 2017 8:40 a.m.

I imagine it is a struggle for professional LDS dancers to maintain "garment" standards in an industry that almost has no standards. While it is easy to point fingers, it is ultimately between them and the Lord on how they dress while performing.

That said, Lindsey did great and should be proud of 2nd place.

• goosehuntr Tooele, UT
    Nov. 22, 2017 7:25 a.m.

What a great run for all the performers!! Since the spotlight has been on Lindsay, I would congratulate her on an amazing run!! ...er, dance!! Magnificent movement! Beautiful and gushing with grace! She lives in gratitude.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Nov. 22, 2017 7:14 a.m.

I am not going to be popular with my comment but when I see what some of these LDS women wear on this show it reminds me of the comment in the Strength or the Youth that we should not use a special occasion to lower your standards. Do we use the excuse that this is dance and thus it’s acceptable? As a father of 3 daughters I struggle with the messages that some of these lds women share by the way the dress and the example the set. I understand agency as I fully support it myself. I just don’t understand or appreciate the excuse to not be your best. Had they worn something modest it wouldn’t have taken away from their talent. Why not take a stand?

• LDSAZ Casa Grande, AZ
    Nov. 22, 2017 7:02 a.m.

Congratulations Lindsey and all these ladies. As promised, I didn't watch the show, but ABC confirmed to the world that this is not a dance contest. I'm glad the 'contestants' had the chance at this experience. I wish a network would do a dance contest show. Many would watch such a program.