Let's pause local college football handwringing, be grateful for a few days

• No playoff for U Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 21, 2017 9:49 p.m.

Crazy in California

Agree 100%

Greatness is forged in the crucible of adversity.

• Crazy in California Acampo, CA
    Nov. 21, 2017 1:26 p.m.

Any win by a Utah team is great.
    But I love BYU. And I love BYU football. I love the coaches and the players.
    My feelings and thoughts of support deepen even more when they are suffering as they have this year.
    The missed opportunities and not living up to potential drive me crazy.
    But that ultimately doesn't damage my regard for them.
    I believe in them; I believe they will be better for having worked hard, done battle for their coaches, team mates and the school. Winning games is very important to me, but there are other kinds of winning. They will always have my heart.

• Avdrus Boise, ID
    Nov. 21, 2017 11:58 a.m.

Amen my brother! I played for BYU over 50 years ago. I root for BYU, BSU and Utah so I am often conflicted, but I always root for the kids who work so hard. I wasn’t that talented but I played hard and the game was very good to me. Fans are brutal but the players and staff have a magical bond that even time doesn’t fade. I don’t remember the scores of any of the games I played. But I remember the game.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Nov. 21, 2017 11:17 a.m.

I have never liked the reference to "Turkey Day". The emphasis should be on the "thanks" and not on the turkey.

Although I guess it could be said that some of our favorite teams played like turkeys last weekend.

😁😄

• Shawnm750 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 21, 2017 10:24 a.m.

I was actually just thinking about this very subject last night... Sure I'm disappointed in the Utes' season this year, but all programs have their ups and downs; but what a great year for WSU, SUU and the Aggies! WSU & SUU programs are really coming along and seasons like this will only help galvanize those programs. The Aggies have struggled again this season, but they really started pulling it together and I'm optimistic about their future. There's some solid talent on that team and they deserve some recognition.

Utes and Cougs may not have a lot to celebrate this season, but let's throw some support behind the other programs in the state that have managed to do well!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Nov. 21, 2017 10:15 a.m.

Can't agree more. BYU is not only in a rebuilding phase for the athletes but for the coaches. They need to learn their jobs as well. All of these calls to replace everyone just isn't realistic. BYU can't go out and hire anyone they want. It will take time, but BYU will come back.

I also agree that there is much more to praise about Utah's performance at Washington than to complain about. Thirty points against what is arguably one of the best defenses in the nation is a great accomplishment. I think calling timeout was a good call by the way. If you're defense can't stop those big plays at the end of regulation what makes you think you are going to have better luck in overtime? Things are looking up for the future IMHO.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 21, 2017 9:57 a.m.

How about highlight other football teams in Utah. Like Snow College that is in the top 10 in the nation and lost 1 game by 2 points to the #1 team by a FG on the last play of the game. They are going to a bowl. How about some recognition to them. They are a GREAT team. BYU may want to take a few (or more) of them as they are averaging 50+ points a game. No offence issues there.

• Aggieman1105 West Jordan, ut
    Nov. 21, 2017 9:30 a.m.

Aggie fans are thankful to be bowl eligible and to have the season turned around. The future looks bright! Go Aggies beat AFA!

• Coug007 Lehi, UT
    Nov. 21, 2017 9:07 a.m.

WHY are the Debbie/Doug Downers the ones who love to flood the comments? Bit exhausting, but it's all good. I agree with you, Dick.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Nov. 21, 2017 9:05 a.m.

This too shall pass...

It's been 12 years since BYU had a losing, bowl less season, including 6 seasons as an Independent.

The next time BYU fans are tempted to whine about a 9-4 season,

they should remember 2017 and be grateful for what they have.

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    Nov. 21, 2017 8:53 a.m.

I'm thankful that most BYU fans aren't jumping off the band wagon because of one bad season.

There isn't a single program in the country that is immune to disastrous, losing seasons, including every program that has won a national championship in the last 50 years, and several programs that have won a national championship since 2000.

Those claiming that 2017 is proof that BYU can't handle an Independent schedule have quickly forgotten that BYU was only 8 points shy of an UNDEFEATED season last year, while playing a tougher schedule.

In 2016, BYU finished 3-3 versus SIX P5 teams, 9-4 overall.

In 2017, BYU finished 0-4 versus FOUR P5 teams, 4-9 or 3-10 overall.

The difference: BYU 2017 is a younger, more inexperienced team beset with more than twice as many injuries as BYU had in 2016.

In 2016, BYU beat Arizona, Toledo, Mich St, Miss St, Cincinnati, S Utah, UMass, Utah St, and Wyoming,

and only lost to Utah (-1), UCLA (-3), W Va (-3), and Boise St (-1), by a combined 8 points.

• MendonMick Mendon, UT
    Nov. 21, 2017 8:27 a.m.

Nice try Dick! You start the frenzy, stir the pot then ask people to calm down. You're the instigator! You started it all!

• Pa. Reader Harrisburg, PA
    Nov. 21, 2017 6:01 a.m.

As a BYU fan, I am very sympathetic toward this team and its coaches.
    When the Cougar bid to join a power five conference failed, the handwriting was on the proverbial wall. AD Tom Holmoe had dutifully and capably filled the future BYU grid schedule with many quality opponents -- way too many for the health of a mid-major school, which BYU is.
    So, when Virginia came calling, Bronco M. and his staff did the smart thing and took an offer that advanced them to that power five level they so desperately craved.
    Coach Sitake and crew are now left to reap the whirwind of very difficult schedules without the recruiting and financial advantages reserved for power five schools.
    Everyone's talking about reevaluating the coaching staff in the off season. I believe the time and effort will be much better spent in redefining the direction of the entire program with an eye on things as they are, rather than relying on some fantasy of big time college football glory. (See the service academies, for example.)
    Until that happens, the arguments of naysayers calling for the end of intercollegiate athletics at BYU will
    be strengthened.

• DodgerDoug Salem, UT
    Nov. 21, 2017 5:30 a.m.

Nice try Dick! I️ have a lot to be thankful for but trying to find silver linings in a dismal and pathetic BYU football team is not one of them. No thanks!

• BleedingBlue Provo, UT
    Nov. 20, 2017 11:22 p.m.

This year has been bizarre and sad. I am afraid that next year we will be treated to a repeat disaster. Can it get any worse, well will see this Saturday. Only thing I can say is one team will have four wins after the game. Wow, really, if we are lucky, four wins.

• BobinCary Pocatello, ID
    Nov. 20, 2017 7:18 p.m.

Look at the direction of professional sports. Look at the direction of college sports. Will any clear-thinking person want to be part of it in five years? Bring on the BYU-Idaho model! No intercollegiate sports. Nothing! Kill the golden calf (cougar) and let thousands of students enjoy a great experience on the field.