Former NFL QB Brad Sorensen cautiously optimistic about Joe Critchlow's future at BYU

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Nov. 17, 2017 6:03 a.m.

I think the reality is that Mangum is a mediocre QB. The Swag of his first season when he rescued BYU from disaster after Hill went down at Nebraska, seems to have been dissolved over time. Even that good year, Mangum was snowed under by full team blitzes in the final Utah game. To come back and and make it close was great but the pressure fumbles and turnovers the Utes launched would have been highly likely under a poised QB.

We don't know who will be starting QB next year. But Chrichlow has poise. And poise is crucial at QB.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Nov. 17, 2017 12:34 a.m.

An effort to make stats more readable.

SJSU Game

2017 4 33 20 60.6% 219 1 0 126.35

Mangum's Total Stats:
    Year G COM ATT PCT YRDS TD INT QBR
    2015 13 267 446 59.9% 3377 23 10 136.0
    2016 4 22 33 66.7% 241 3 1 152.0
    2017 8 147 257 57.2% 1540 8 9 110.8

Mangum had a rough year but he is battle proven... He'd be who I go with in 2018 if I were Detmer and Sataki. Joe would be a good back up in 2018 with a potential for starting in 2019 and 2020.

• Wolfie Colorado Springs, CO
    Nov. 16, 2017 11:19 p.m.

It was a revelation the first time I saw Critchlow played. He threw only a few passes, didn't complete them all. The game suddenly ended. I was struck with amazement with his short performance. Joe read the defense instantaneously. He knew right away where to throw the football. And most impressively is how quick he releases the football. He can really throw the football fast and far. His ball placement is excellent. Joe stood tall and with confidence fire the football straight right at his receivers. I first thought of Ty Detmer when he was QB for the Cougars, but then I thought this guy is bigger, stronger, taller, and faster. I was hoping and praying that they would let Joe play against Mississippi State. I think it would be very interesting.
    The key player to all BYU teams is their QB, Mangum seems to hold on to the football forever, by the time he throws everyone in the stadium knew where the football was going. Hoge is very talented, but he doesn't stay in the pocket. It's very hard for the line to protect him. With Critchlow, the opposition's defense doesn't know how to react to that. He threw the ball like 1 to 2 seconds average. He made everyone plays better and harder.

• Osgrath Cedar Hills - Utah, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 3:48 p.m.

Even two years ago when Mangum took over from Taysom, I could not help but compare what I was seeing with him versus what I saw with earlier quarterbacks, from Gifford Nielsen on through Steve Sarkesian. A for Brandon Doman, their playing styles were so different that a comparison was difficult, other than that I felt their accuracy was about the same. However Doman made up for his throwing deficiencies with his feet.

Two years ago and this year, Mangum hitting a receiver in stride is a rarity. Most often the receiver has to turn around, come back to the ball, jump for it, or dive for it. Mention was already made here of the frequency of the "one-hoppers." When I think back on previous quarterbacks and how their receivers caught the ball in stride and gained nice yardage after the catch because of their forward momentum, I have missed that with Mangum.

I have faith in the coaching staff. I think they will give the candidates a fair chance next season. We still have spring practice and fall camp to go. I would not be surprise, though, to see Mangum assigned to the third string next year. Both Hoge and Chritchlow have plenty of progress ahead, and Mangum may have topped out.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Nov. 16, 2017 2:04 p.m.

@cjd1 "Oh boy. And now the hype begins!

And yet the obsession from ute fans remains sure and constant. I thought you guys moved on.

But we all knows that can't happen for a fan base whose biggest bragging rights is a string of ultra-narrow wins over the team they pretend is no longer relevant.

And the subject of QB is especially sore since the utes haven't had a really good one since maybe 2008 (actually 04).

So Joe got a little good press. Good for him. He may be very good. Hey may be average. He has a long way to go.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Nov. 16, 2017 12:15 p.m.

@jello

Credibility increases when one knows what he is reporting (i.e. QBR)... It also helps to report facts accurately.... Critchlow is yet to prove himself... Mangum already has.

In the SJS game the facts are as follows:
    PASSINGCOMPATTPCTYDS TD INTQBR
    Mangum 18 34 52.9 283 31146.1
    Critchlow 3 4 75.0 49 00177.9

Mangum played all but a couple of series. In "garbage time" against a bad team. Mangum threw 34 times for 283 yards and 3 TDs and had a QB Rating of 146.1 and Critchlow threw 4 times for 49 yards.

UNLV game:
    PASSINGCOMPATTPCTYDSTDINT QBR
    Critchlow 1422 63.6160 1 0 139.7

Total season:
    G Att Com Pct. YardsYards/AttTDInt QBR
    All Games4 3320 60.6219 6.6 1 0126.35

Mangum's stats
    GPCOMPATTPCT YRDS YDS/ATT TD INTQBR
    2015 1326744659.9% 3377 7.6 23 10 136.0
    20164 22 33 66.7% 241 7.3 31 152.0
    2017814725757.2%1540 6.089 110.8

• Swan Ronson St. Louis, MO
    Nov. 16, 2017 10:54 a.m.

Look, it's one game of competency against a so-so opponent. Calling it anything but "encouraging" is silly. But, Critchlow did seem comfortable and calm in the pocket, and his throws were generally strong and on target. That's a huge step up from Hoge, who has a strong arm and good athleticism but sometimes seems like he's never played the position. Mangum always seems terrified to me. I don't dislike the guy. He's probably a good dude and a swell home teacher, but he's not the type to inspire confidence in those around him.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Critchlow's the guy we'll be watching for the next 3+ years. Will he be "great"? Who knows? Heck; I'd settle for "good." We'll see.

• toosmartforyou Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 10:15 a.m.

Observing that a player performed fairly well in his first start as a freshman isn't hype. It's just a reflection on how well he did. That's kind of hard to swallow for a BYU QB isn't it?

I guess ute fans mostly thought Alabama wasn't all that hot the year they beat them in the BCS game (?), too, if they were going to be congruous with denigrating any victory by saying the opposition wasn't any good (like Michigan in 1984, right?). Instead, that was the greatest game in football history, according to them. And many of us cheered for the u; even though now it seems they didn't deserve it.

Pile on uties; it makes for entertaining reading...I love fantasy.

• Jello is Good ,
    Nov. 16, 2017 9:19 a.m.

@BleedingBlue - Provo, UT
    Nov. 15, 2017 11:42 p.m.

"Could be a real horse race for the QB next year. Unfortunately, I don’t see the coaching staff realizing this and we go through this whole nightmare again in 2018. Only time will tell."

2016 was not a nightmare. We played the best QB and had a great season. We would all kill for that same season this year. Next year will not be a nightmare either, and it will not be a horse race at all. If Critchlow plays as well or better than he did last week, he will be the man. His passer rating in SJSU as well as UNLV 178 and 140. Mangum's best game this year was 75 with a 33.5 average this year and a 70.7 average 2 years ago. Mangum has not ever had a single game where his passer rating was within 40 points of Critchlow.

Why is this even a discussion.

• Jack from little rock Little Rock, AR
    Nov. 16, 2017 8:36 a.m.

I am happy for the win and happy for Joe. It would be wonderful if this carries over to next year. I don't make to much of it because this was his first game. From what I saw he was able to control the ball better than others had earlier in the season. Good luck Joe and I hope for health to return to the other two QB s as well. Keep up the good work Joe and have a great time.
    Go Cougars

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 8:24 a.m.

cjd1

"Oh boy. And now the hype begins!"

It's laughable how a fan base that has hyped Huntley all season long,

gets so jealous every time a BYU QB gets a little positive press.

• goosehuntr Tooele, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 8:04 a.m.

There is absolutely nothing to hype. BYU has done nothing yet. However, the offensive rhythm seemed a bit better with Critchlow. But I also saw that rhythm begin to develop with Hodge early in the Utah State game, before he had to leave the game on injury. Soo... None of this means anything. As for Mangum, hmmm... that was pretty interesting.. not much there. I saw a hesitant, mostly inaccurate quarterback.

Aaaa... for what it's worth.

• EPoint Roy, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 7:15 a.m.

The team did seem different with Critchlow as QB, my surprised reaction, "now there is the BYU team I expected to see at the start of the season." Next 2 contests will show if he is the real deal, more than just potential, a real gamer. QB must lead the team. It's so much more than mechanics, its heart and confidence translating into making plays.

• JD Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 16, 2017 12:04 a.m.

UNLV is basically an above average high school team. So yeah, he looked okay against some really poor competition.

• BleedingBlue Provo, UT
    Nov. 15, 2017 11:42 p.m.

When Critchlow played, he directed and lead the team, they responded. He appeared to have that intangible leadership ability. It was like the Heaps vs Nelson experience, one had all of the accolades but could not lead, the other had the ability and was able to lead the offense. Same here, (Magnum/Detmer, some what Hoge-more injury than leadership) vs Critchlow. But it was only one game. He now has two more opportunities to cement his position in the team. Could be a real horse race for the QB next year. Unfortunately, I don’t see the coaching staff realizing this and we go through this whole nightmare again in 2018. Only time will tell.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 15, 2017 9:11 p.m.

It was just UNLV but there did appear to be a positive change to the team that came with Critchlow. Maybe it's nothing or maybe it's something but it seemed as though Critchlow's teammates played harder with him leading the charge.

• cjd1 Draper, UT
    Nov. 15, 2017 8:56 p.m.

Oh boy. And now the hype begins!

• Gruncle Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 15, 2017 8:17 p.m.

Thanks Brad for steering him our way and also thanks for not being sore at BYU because Doman and Bronco couldn't see past their mancrush on their favorite QB to notice they had a future NFL draft pick in the depth chart at QB.

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN