Dick Harmon: Does Nick Emery deserve support, accountability or scrutiny?

• Just Truth Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 23, 2017 7:34 a.m.

I'm in the camp that doesn't have enough information to judge. Leave that to the self-righteous.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Nov. 17, 2017 11:22 p.m.

@ longer than desired... from kirksville, mo.

Nick is a gifted BB player from a very good family with some personal problems and his fan base recognizes that and supports him. On the other hand, some people, whom Max Hall has accurately described in the past, who often embarrass themselves on BYU articles on the DN boards are truly the exact opposite.

Nick will work through these issues (which would be tough for anyone)... But these issues are not criminal, such as Criminal Mischief, Armed Robbery, Drugs, or Domestic Violence like we have seen from some of the athletes recruited by the school in SLC (i.e. Butler, Hatfield, Faunuku, Ofahengaue, etc.)... They are personal issues except for the NCAA investigation... But hopefully the findings will result in less severe punishment than the 15 game suspension recently handed out to utah's Baseball Coach Kinneberg when he does return.

Yes, attitudes can be a problem... Although I don't think that Nick's are as challenging for BYU as say coach kry's is for utah.

I have every confidence that Nick will be back with BYU next year with a clear mind, solid mental strength, and a renewed energy that will show on the hardwood.

• CoHawk Littleton, CO
    Nov. 17, 2017 6:54 p.m.

I respect Jackson's attempt to help his brother with the public PR game. The answer that Dick Harmon question begs is that Nick will get all three! Support from his family and friends, accountability from the NCAA and his ex-wife, and scrutiny from everyone as the truth comes out on what he did or didn't do. Unfortunately, the basketball PR was so big for Nick and his BYU team's performance last year, so poor, that he will suffer through the issues in the public eye. The rest of us would have labored in silence. Where much is given .......

• BobbyPaluga Austin, TX
    Nov. 17, 2017 2:38 p.m.

I'm being misquoted, so let me take another stab at the situation. If Dick asked the readers, "What is the surface temperature of the hidden planet Mugsniff, when was it formed, is there any iron or hydrogen on Mugsniff?" The readers would be no more prepared to form an opinion on Mugsniff, than they are to form an opinion on Mr Emery's supposed actions and the allegations being made.
    Shining a bright light into the dark corners of amateur college sports is the job of journalists and sport writers. The Deseret News and its competitor have failed miserably in that regard. If you're holding back information, you're engaging in a cover-up. Sam Gilbert could have gone for decades giving 10's of 1000's of dollars to UCLA basketball players. However in 1981 sportswriters for the LA Times laid out the entire deal putting an end to 16 years of corruption. In Miami, It was the Miami Herald and ESPN who revealed the same situation involving Nevin Shapiro and Miami football players. But in Utah, nothing but fear, "What if I offend the higher-ups"

"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth"
    Buddha

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Nov. 17, 2017 1:50 p.m.

First three comments on here....1,2,3.....are from some of the most notorious BYU-haters out there.

Thanks for the 24/7/365 rent-free space in your heads, boys! Sure is nice to be remembered by a fan-base that swears up and down they don't care about us!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 17, 2017 10:58 a.m.

@touchdownutes

Whether or not you are a "hypocrite" is based on the content of your comments. No one disputes your right to comment on any article or about any subject but if your comments warrant the hypocrite tag then it is a fair point to make.

I personally don't know what your take was on the Carrington issue or frankly any other issue involving the plethora of misbehavior exibited fairly regularly by university of utah athletes, and yes if you want I can make a list but I don't really want to bring it all up unless you want to be obtuse about it and ask for it when you and I both know you know plenty of incidents without me having to document them, but the point is you know if you are being a hypocrite or not, you know.

So if you aren't then congratulations and don't take it personally because you aren't the problem, but if you are then just take your lumps because you deserve them and yes there are multiple ute "fans" that commented on this article that are hypocrites, that is just a fact and can be proven with examples.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 9:01 p.m.

Jackson Emery tweeted about his brother was enough to know. Dick Harmon didn't have to write this. Just leave Nick Emery alone and we don't need any posters making personal comments toward him. I will welcome Nick back to BYU Basketball when he is ready and forget about his past personal issues.
    Wish you well Nick! Go Cougars!!

• Oh Really? HERRIMAN, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 4:36 p.m.

@xert - Santa Monica, CA

"Divorce is incredibly difficult and can quickly make you feel like you're living in a foreign country. There is no easy way around it and I feel for this kid for what he's going through.

As someone said to me, two months into it--give it six more months."

Marriage is also difficult, particularly the first year... and if you "give it six months," it can get better. Most marriages have periods of difficulty every year, if not every month.

I, for one, wish Emery and his ex- good fortune going forward.

• Caddis Terry, MT
    Nov. 16, 2017 3:16 p.m.

Xert,
    Best comment of the day. Thanks for a thoughtful comment.

• Hailstorm is a coming Riverdale, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 2:16 p.m.

My Biggest fear is that Harmon will draw this out like his multiple x many dead issues like he has with Max , Bronco, and now Nick.
    Let him go away and not be a last ditch effort/ space filling comment session by the boys in blue and Dick Harmon.
    Ycch !

• Hailstorm is a coming Riverdale, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 2:11 p.m.

D.
    None of the above.

• TouchdownUtes Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 1:54 p.m.

CG.....the article isn't about Carrington......it's about Nick Emery. I for one am glad that Coach Whit gave Carrington another chance. And Coach Rose is no different. He's made it clear that Nick's well-being is top priority. I wish him well.

My thinking is that because I had the temerity to comment on a BYU article that you want to call me a hypocrite. Would you rather I just reserve my comments on this board to Utah articles? This publication is replete with BYU articles.....much more than Ute ones.....and I've followed BYU since I was a young kid in the 60's....you just need to allow me that because I have the right to do so. I attended the U and am LDS.....if you call me a hypocrite, you better remember that if you're without sin, cast the first stone.

• PCHiker Park City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 1:40 p.m.

If Emery did accept gifts from the booster, he should be punished according to the NCAA rules. The booster should also be punished; take away his cougar club membership. But let's get one thing straight, Emory is not a boy or a kid, he is actually a man (23?) why do we continually provide excuses for bad behavior to these "boys" who play sports. If in my office job, I punched someone or took bribes from a client, I would get fired, end of story. If you are old enough to be back from a mission and get married, you should be old enough to know right from wrong and be able to control yourself from physically assaulting someone while PLAYING A GAME.

• Bill Schanze Midvale, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 1:30 p.m.

I would love to help a young man's problems but not without complete understanding. That can be difficult even for those closest to him, like a wife. If I was an editorial sports writer, I would be especially careful about trying to judge this particular young man's recent decisions. There are too many variables and unknowns along with what is known. Besides that, all successes have failures in their foundation so I'm perfectly satisfied with failures that are situated thusly. So I wait with excited anticipation for his future, even though I undoubtedly know less about whats-his-name than any other participants of opinion. His supposed failure is what draws my interest to the future of this supposed future loser. I also have an interest in the future of Gordon Monson but his failures are far more numerous due to age alone. I would rather help a young man with less of a history of failure in the science of athletics.

• BlueCoug Provo, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 1:21 p.m.

superdmil

"[Nick] needs to remove himself from this mud pit and go play basketball somewhere, Europe, China, the G-League, wherever. "

The "mud pit" is Emery's creation.

It isn't the venue, but Nick, himself, that needs to change.

At least here, he has a support system to help him make that change.

Somewhere else, he would be completely on his own.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Nov. 16, 2017 1:07 p.m.

Divorce is incredibly difficult and can quickly make you feel like you're living in a foreign country. There is no easy way around it and I feel for this kid for what he's going through. Though I'm a Ute fan, I do NOT wish to see any player suffer and I think Nick is showing real maturity in taking this time off and setting his feet on solid ground. It gets better kid--and a different and maybe better life is just around the corner. As someone said to me, two months into it--give it six more months.

• superdmil Centerville, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 12:50 p.m.

I were in Nick's shoes, I'd leave all the Utah fans and college and make my way to professional basketball of some kind.

He needs to remove himself from this mud pit and go play basketball somewhere, Europe, China, the G-League, wherever.

Then he can move on a maybe make a little money too which never hurts after a divorce. Nothing says "I don't need your baloney" like being happy, making some money doing what you like.

• Crazy in California Acampo, CA
    Nov. 16, 2017 12:38 p.m.

Nick should be held accountable, make restitution were possible, then be supported through out the entire process, particularly as he works to make positive changes in his life. He apologized for the punch, that's good.
    One of the negative aspects of living in a close culture is the tendency for some to want to keep people in their place. It's unsettling to allow those who have made mistakes to try to get better.
    Nick appears to want to get his life together. I don't think labeling him a loser is going to help him. That is the question: do you want the best for him? Kicking a man when he is down is like kicking your dog; says more about you than the dog.

• CG Provo, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 11:52 a.m.

TouchdownUtes

It was hardly Carrington's first rodeo either, yet Utah fans welcomed him with open arms and couldn't have cared less about the baggage he brought with him that was so serious that Oregon finally had to cut him lose.

NOTHING that Nick has done even comes close to what Carrington has done, yet Utah fans are digging up minor incidents from when Nick was in high school.

Can you say the word "hypocrisy"?

The double-standard of the judgmental scrutiny Utah fans have for BYU athletes compared to their own is sickening?

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Nov. 16, 2017 11:32 a.m.

HerbertGravy - The censors won't allow my prior answer, evidently, but what more evidence do you need before you would categorize Emery as a loser? More of what you have seen before? Or are you hoping he will eventually mature? My belief is he will likely be this immature at age 50.

• TouchdownUtes Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 11:20 a.m.

This is not Nick's first rodeo, folks.....in high school he was ejected a couple of times for punching an opponent. One would think that serving a mission and then subscribing to the mission of BYU athletics that it would indicate that a young man had changed.....but with the punch to Taylor, that was obviously not the case. And for you BYU fans say that he was justified because of Taylor's elbow to him prior to that......that's no excuse, nor justification. He should have turned the other cheek.....but he referred back to his old high school self. While I'm sympathetic to Nick's personal problems, it doesn't surprise me. Perhaps he's where he is because of who he is. It'll be interesting to see how he pulls out of this. I sincerely hope he does well despite everything. I wish him well.

• SIMPLICITY Denver, CO
    Nov. 16, 2017 10:58 a.m.

This guy just needs to meet and be with the right girl. The right relationship will change nearly everything for people.

• GD Syracuse, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 10:44 a.m.

One reported the DN should print the details of Nick's wrongs. I would imagine they will once the Ncaa comes out with their decision. We are all way to quick to judge. Utah fans I would say you say things mostly to upset Y fans or to get responses. It must make you feel good in side. Glad to help you.
    I guess UCLA players are going through the same thing. I think that is a fairly common practice shop lifting) with a lot of athletes. They still deserve to learn a lesson and go on with their lives. Young men make mistakes, so do old ones. Look at yourselves and you'll understand what I mean. Support, encouragement is my vote for Nick, the Ucla players and others. If a certain punishment if needed so be it, let them pay and move on with their lives.

• LT2 Southlake, TX
    Nov. 16, 2017 10:42 a.m.

It is pretty simple. He needs to own his decisions and be held accountable. He will take the time to get his mind right and I hope he comes back a better person who is ready to be a team player.

• Caddis Terry, MT
    Nov. 16, 2017 10:28 a.m.

Hugo, who is Darren Carrington?

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 10:18 a.m.

Hugo - Emery vs. Carrington

Now, there's an apples to oranges comparison. Remind us what Emery has been arrested for and from which team he's been kicked off.

And, what BYU fans have told you you weren't allowed to scrutinize Emery's life?

• Hugo West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 9:24 a.m.

Interesting comments from BYU fans here defending Nick Emery and telling us all not to scrutinize his life. They might even have had a leg to stand on if BYU fans hadn't just spent the last 3 months relentlessly attacking Darren Carrington for his mistakes.

• Maximus Meridius Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 8:17 a.m.

He deserves all three. Best of luck to Nick getting his life in order and returning stronger. Ute trolls, you are looking foolish as usual.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Nov. 16, 2017 8:07 a.m.

Why would we EVER call someone his age a "loser"? I certainly think he doesn't warrant such an appellation, yet.

Perhaps, just perhaps, God isn't finished with him yet. Or, with you and me.

😃

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Nov. 16, 2017 8:03 a.m.

Perhaps our time would be better-spent "scrutinizing" our own lives.

😁

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    Nov. 16, 2017 7:59 a.m.

Gorm

"Why feel sorry for this guy he knew the things he was doing was in violation of NCAA rules."

Everyone makes mistakes.

Don't allow lack of empathy and unwillingness to forgive be one of yours.

• HuskyVa SPOTSYLVANIA, VA
    Nov. 16, 2017 6:33 a.m.

Going through a divorce is difficult. The LDS Church's stance on families makes divorce even more difficult. Divorced men in the LDS church statistically "rarely" remain active unless they remarry. Clearly if you've watched, Nick is emotional and a little immature. He likely is struggling at least as much as the average LDS man. Does he deserve support? I would hope so.
    Did he knowingly do anything wrong that will hurt BYU in the future? If so, he deserves scrutiny and some accountability. I think we need to be patient and let the facts come out and give Nick the space and support he needs.

• keithlue Provo, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 5:59 a.m.

Accountability yes. Let’s talk about the out of control alumni and administrators who idolize these student athletes to no end. Sadly, they are the enablers. The things we will do to be “popular.”

• BobbyPaluga Austin, TX
    Nov. 16, 2017 12:22 a.m.

This is an amazingly silly question to ask readers, given the Deseret News is guilty, as are many, of refusing to print any details of what is supposed to be a case of improper benefits. WHo, What, Where, and When, are all ignored which is insane. do you think an LA, Chicago, Dallas, or Miami paper would keep details guarded? I get the BYU-Deseret News-LDS ownership deal, but seriously if you cannot write a story that informs the readers why try to cover the investigation at all?
    Kudos to the brother's Tweet, makes complete sense. A word to the wise, don't marry before you have lived, there are no emergencies out there to require one to make a life changing decision when you have no foundation.

• Gruncle Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 15, 2017 7:55 p.m.

@usalover

Everybody I've talked to that his close to him says he's a good guy who needs to grow up a little.

-----------------

and this will help him get there quickly. I also think his taking the year off from basketball was a smart move. That and doing a little maturing will make him a better player when he comes back.

• blue & white Boise, ID
    Nov. 15, 2017 7:22 p.m.

We don't know all the facts and any event support Nick. If the booster is found to have fault he should have the same punishment as Nic if not more so. Since Nic is out of school the booster should be off limits on BYU property till any action is taken. Hope Nick gets right and will come back.

• fever30 Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 15, 2017 6:28 p.m.

What's amazing is how much energy people use to scrutinize, analyze, and judge a person whose actions have literally no effect on them. Your life is no worse off because of Emery's actions. There's enough people out there rooting for good people to fail. Let's direct that energy towards lifting others who are obviously having a worse day than you.

• Rockyrd Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 15, 2017 5:52 p.m.

I support Nick as I would support a basketball player from Utah, UVU or the Little Sisters of the Poor in the same situation. That doesn't mean I agree with everything he's done. He's a young man having troubles and deserves support, not condemnation.

• CaliCougar American Fork, UT
    Nov. 15, 2017 5:42 p.m.

I never cease to be amazed at the lack of character displayed in some of the comments posted on DN. I can say the same for some of the ones to this article.

Dick Harmon
    "One is to hope/support/give guidance as Emery navigates his troubles."

I vote "yes" here, although I think this approach is an obvious one.

"Another is to recognize and say, “Hey, this is his fault, he made bad decisions and he needs to own up, pay the penalties and move on. Let this run its course.”

I also vote "yes" to this, although I think this approach is also an obvious one.

"A third camp is that Emery needs public accountability, that any and all twists and turns must be scrutinized and challenged because as a college athlete, he is a public figure, an eligible pinata."

I vote "no" on this approach. I object to calling Emery, or anyone else for that matter, an "eligible pinata". I'm surprised Harmon chose these words. I do not feel any college athlete, in being so, automatically qualifies as a "public figure". For those who disagree with me, try being a college athlete first and then we'll talk. I was one at BYU. I know what it is like.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Nov. 15, 2017 5:00 p.m.

Its sounds like Nick is doing the right thing. This process started over the summer when he contacted Larry Krystkowiak and Brandon Taylor to take full responsibility for the infamous "sucker punch." Yes people should step back from this - and that includes all those who have made excuses for Nick's bad choices instead of holding him accountable.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Nov. 15, 2017 4:47 p.m.

Seems to me the premise of the article is both simplistic and flawed.

The idea that support, scrutiny and accountability are mutually exclusive, you can only pick/support one, and that choice puts you in a camp where you oppose the other two just doesn't ring true.

I support Nick (as I would support any person in the same circumstances) and wish him well.

I also support the idea that Nick's actions, like those of anyone else who has agreed to abide by rules, should be scrutinized to see whether he has complied with his agreement to keep those rules.

And I support Nick being held accountable for his actions if it's shown he didn't keep the rules, just as I support the need for all of us to be accountable for our actions.

What I don't support in this case or any other is rumor-mongering, making judgments without facts, or finding joy in the sorrow or struggle of others.

• gchris rock springs, wy
    Nov. 15, 2017 4:33 p.m.

After all the Utah fans, who just saw three of their football players ejected for vicious targeting of opponents' skulls, have had their fun at Mr. Emory's expense, the fact is that the NCAA has not made a ruling on his rule violation, if there was one. He isn't the first college student--and he is just a college student--to take a year off from school and athletics for personal reasons. He was punished for his flagrant foul of an opponent and apologized for it, something I haven't heard from the aforementioned Ute tacklers. Maybe with him gone for the year, Krystkowiak and his boys won't be afraid to come to the Marriott Center.

• estreetshuffle Window Rock, AZ
    Nov. 15, 2017 4:20 p.m.

I see a lot "self rightous" comments here. We were all 22 years old at one time and not just "sucker punching" but other stuff.

• IA Cougar Mesa, AZ
    Nov. 15, 2017 3:57 p.m.

"Some" BYU fans defended Emery for the sucker punch. I was not one of them. In fact, it "poisoned" me on him from that point on. He's a returned missionary from Germany. So am I. I didn't expect perfection. No one is. But I expected a much, MUCH higher standard than sucker punching a Ute, regardless of what may or may not have been said. So in a way, I'm happy he's gone for a while. That said, I feel for him. I don't recall when he got married but it wasn't long ago and for that dream, particularly in the LDS faith, to be ending in divorce is opening up scrutiny from the culture that can be brutal. No one deserves that and none of us are privy to the details, nor should we be.

I think BYU may actually be a better team without him. But I have nothing but hope for his future. I hope he can get his life put back together, mostly outside of basketball. That is more important. If he broke NCAA rules, he must pay the penalty. If he didn't, then we move on. I certainly hope that Nick can heal and that his personal issues can be resolved in private. I cheer for him. If he returns, I will cheer for him. Good luck, Nick. I wish you all the best.

• Gorm Dyersburg, TN
    Nov. 15, 2017 3:52 p.m.

Why feel sorry for this guy he knew the things he was doing was in violation of NCAA rules. It cracks me up that Rose is so sympathetic with this player, treat him like a man. I hope he plays again for BYU I liked watching his competativeness.

• BlueCoug Provo, UT
    Nov. 15, 2017 3:36 p.m.

Short answer:

Emery deserves support, accountability and scrutiny.

At this point in his life, he's his own worst enemy.

Hopefully, he'll get the support and help he needs to get himself straightened out.

If/when he returns to BYU, which I hope he will, he needs to earn back the trust and respect of his fans, coaches, teammates, and school, that he's lost, by demonstrating that he's a changed man and worthy of their respect and support.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 15, 2017 3:04 p.m.

Ten years from now, Nick will probably say this was a painful but instructive time in his life.

Everybody's life is that way. If he stays humble and works hard, this stuff will all be for his good.

I know a million 22 year-olds that fit that description

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    Nov. 15, 2017 3:03 p.m.

Juice Box

This is the true Freshman who reacted to a Senior throwing an elbow into his face to bait him, who then flopped to pretend that he'd suffered a serious eye injury from a little jab that barely grazed his side.

It was at the end of the game, long before the NCAA investigation began.

It's interesting how BYU-haters continue to make up their own "facts" concerning Emery.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Nov. 15, 2017 3:02 p.m.

When, Dick, does Nick stop getting your support and that of the fervent fans? This guy is one of life's losers. This is demonstrated on a fairly regular basis. How much more embarrassment will he cause BYU because of similar actions to those that have already occurred? He is not just a newly turned 18-year old adult, but what, 25 chronologically, and still emotionally stalled at 13.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 15, 2017 2:52 p.m.

Nick will be fine. When things aren't going his way he comes out swinging.

• Juice Box Eureka, UT
    Nov. 15, 2017 2:40 p.m.

This is the boy that BYU fans defended when punching an opponent mid-game and also when under NCAA investigation. He deserves worse than he will get.