Chris Hicks: Unfortunately, R-rated superhero flicks are here to stay

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 1:27 p.m.

Good parents are concerned about what their children see and hear. Children certainly aren't going to learn basic concepts on subjects like moral cleanliness at school, and certainly not by watching horror movies.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 12:53 p.m.

I look forward to movies for adults, being an adult and all.

Sad that some folks think that the world should be sterilized for 8 year olds.

I've said it before, most folks in Utah don't have a problem with the violence in rated R movies, as long as everyone is dressed and not swearing.

Besides I hate having to share the theater with chatty children.

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 12:25 p.m.

Well I don't think it's unfortunate at all. I much prefer an adult movie over a children's movie. People like this Chris Hicks seem to think just because there are super heroes involved it should automatically be for children. Personally, I like superheroes and I much prefer the adult movies.

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 11:51 a.m.

I'd like to say that I'll be skipping more movies in the future with the R ratings...but I've already been skipping them. Many movies are a complete waste of time, I pick and choose carefully so I don't waste even more of my precious time.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Nov. 15, 2017 10:52 p.m.

"Devolve" has a meaning which is to "delegate" to a lower power. It also has the meaning of "degenerate". Mr. Hicks is correct in his use of the word delegate. However, I would agree that superfluous and gratuitous are appropriate descriptions of Hollywood's use of profanity.

"The favorite argument of filmmakers is that those words are included because that’s the way people talk. Well, some people do. But many people do not."

In my experience MOST people do not talk that way and I find it offensive because it indicates the author was lazy or has a poor vocabulary. Long ago profanity in movies and books ceased to shock and now simply embarrasses the author.

• MeanwhileBackOnEarth Hastings-On-Hudson, NY
    Nov. 15, 2017 8:30 p.m.

Mr. Hicks,

"Devolve" doesn't mean what you think it means. It means "delegate."