Utah football report card: Offensive mistakes detrimental against Washington State

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2017 5:37 p.m.

Sooner ute,
    You forgot one thing. WSU played one of their worst game of the year and still won.
    I think that completes your list.

• rslutefan Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 13, 2017 9:24 a.m.

There is no way to sugar coat. The Utes have a bevy of offensive problems. Troy Taylor is only 1.5 seasons removed from coaching high school - problem # 1. The OC calls inexplicably stupid play calls at inopportune times -- particularly in the redzone. Huntley has athletic skill but currently plays like a bit reckless - with both his body and his throws. Williams certainly did a better job of taking care of the ball. Huntley could be good but is extremely inconsistent.

The Ute defense although weakened by the loss of 8 starters from last year and further injury still does a mostly stellar job. You can't ask them to beat both offenses!!

Troy Taylor either figures it our or he's gone and this time it could derail Whit as well!!

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2017 8:00 a.m.

Ignore the turnovers of the first quarter, Utes win 25-20.
    Am I doing "moral victory" correctly?

The Utes played pretty well, considering the high number of injuries, and that we're still in the first year of Troy Taylor's offense. Plus, the previous OC left the cupboard bare.
    Am I doing "excuses" correctly?

It feels like I left something out. What else do they say down south?
    "The refs!" We got some bad calls. Those PAC 12 refs are the worst!

• slcftball Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2017 12:02 a.m.

Everyone claymores and begged for Huntley like he was going to save the program. I think it is well proven he isn’t the answer. Looking at his stats Utah will never be top tier. 4 turnovers (again) just by Huntley. He sure likes to throw it up and hope.

That only tells me Utah has zero other options. Not quite as bad as BYU (that is a joke how a Div 1team is in that situation at the most important position on the team- walk ons galore)....Utah better recruit the QB position better.

Or maybe the Utah fan base is used to being irrelevant.

• Dart Thrower Ogden, UT
    Nov. 12, 2017 8:49 p.m.

Worf, puhleeeeeze. Up until this year the Utes were one of four teams, nationally, that had always been ranked in the CFP rankings. They have been in and stayed in the top 25 regularly for the last few years. They have beaten Alabama, USC, Washington and other elite teams. They certainly belong in a P5 conference. This is a down year, but the Utes are in the big leagues to stay and will continue to prosper. Hopefully your Cougars will find a place in a P5 conference as well. Put down the sour grapes and think good things about these teams.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Nov. 12, 2017 6:57 p.m.

Saturday's forecast in Seattle is rain throughout the entire game, and with temperatures in the mid-40s.

Edge: Washington.

• worf McAllen, TX
    Nov. 12, 2017 1:07 p.m.

PAC12?

The other P5 conferences are at a higher level. Even the MWC, and some others.

Both BYU and Utah would do well in the Big Sky Conference with a chance to move up at a later time.

• top of the world ,
    Nov. 12, 2017 8:28 a.m.

I'm not a commentator who pretends to know the problems or solutions when a team is having a tough go, something that is quite easy to do when you're a member of my favorite conference, the PAC. So, I will say I was gratified to see the stands full at RE. I was also pleased to see the Utes stand in the trenches and not give up, right to the end, despite seven early Christmas presents handed out to the visiting Cougars. I will also state that I attended WSU and was pulling for them to enjoy a nice return trip to Pullman.

The Utes still have two games to earn a bowl invite. Probably the best bet will be Colorado, although Washington has shown some problems of their own. Having lived in Seattle for 32 years, Washington is one of my favorite teams. Take away the turnover problem and the Utes can win in Seattle.

Still something to play for besides pride. Such is the case for my team in Provo...nothing left to play for except pride in self, team and school. Actually, that's quite a lot to play for.