Bronco Mendenhall expresses love for BYU in candid interview but enjoys less scrutiny, lifestyle at Virginia

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2017 12:49 p.m.

Bluto (Nov. 8, 2017 3:39 p.m.) was pretty much spot on. Bronco frankly created many of the problems on his own. Aside from what Bluto said, Bronco had the chance to water down Austin Collie's "doing what's right on and off the field" comment but instead reinforced it. And then making football priority #5 when most of the starters are getting their schooling paid for was off the deep end.
    I am unreservedly happy to see what Bronco is doing at UVa, and probably supported him long after most had withdrawn their support at BYU. But his last game (against Utah, spotting them 35 points in the first quarter) was both the last straw and really kind of a microcosm of so much of what wasn't right about him coaching at BYU. After the game, he couldn't have been prouder about the way they fought back, or something like that--and it was *always* like that; all the mistakes the team made because of coaching decisions didn't mean anything as long as the team played hard in coming back--regardless of the result. Bronco really is a rebuilder, and will probably get UVa to 8, 9, 10 wins a year like he did with BYU, and that will be good enough in the ACC against the top schools. Good for him.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Nov. 10, 2017 3:19 p.m.

@ HalfManHalfAmazing - Baltimore, MD - Nov. 9, 2017 9:22 p.m. - "BleedCougarBlue - Enid, OK "Again, root for whoever you want. But be LDS and literally despise the church's own school? Does. Not. Compute." Thanks for proving my point, I couldn't have asked for a better example. I think what BYU does academically, is great. Give people a chance to get an education for cheap, and give those who are from minority states a chance to be a majority and meet spouses (don't kid yourself if you think that isn't an actual reason). But just because I choose to cheer against BYU, doesn't indicate anything about my spirituality. I'm 100% certain god doesn't care about which teams win and lose, or who we cheer for."

2 comments:

1 - You don't understand. You're not the kind of anti-BYU fan I'm talking about. You graciously gave BYU the credit it deserves for its academic success & for providing valuable social opportunities. My comment was for LDS members who despise "everything" about BYU; that is not you.

2 - You are right; God does not care who we root for in football games. But, He does care about appreciation and respect for all 'good' things, and loyalty, too.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 9:59 a.m.

I think many will ignore or explain away Bronco's comments, but he points to a very real challenge with BYU football. You are more than the football coach. If the team is truly a "missionary tool of the church", then your responsibilities extend way beyond the field.
    A 2-8 football team is not an effective missionary tool right now, so you hear it from the fans and you hear it from church members. That is a lot of pressure for Coach Sitake.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Nov. 9, 2017 9:49 p.m.

To: Crazy in California - Acampo, CA

I agree wholeheartedly.

• HalfManHalfAmazing Baltimore, MD
    Nov. 9, 2017 9:22 p.m.

BleedCougarBlue - Enid, OK

"Again, root for whoever you want? But be LDS and literally despise the church's own school? Does. Not. Compute."

Thanks for proving my point, I couldn't have asked for a better example. I think what BYU does academically, is great. Give people a chance to get an education for cheap, and give those who are from minority states a chance to be a majority and meet spouses (don't kid yourself if you think that isn't an actual reason). But just because I choose to cheer against BYU, doesn't indicate anything about my spirituality. Im 100% certain god doesn't care about which teams win and lose, or who we cheer for.

• DETERMINISM UTAH, UT
    Nov. 9, 2017 6:28 p.m.

“My simple message is, is the culture and the small and simple things precede the performance. Class attendance matters. Off the field behavior matters. Dress and grooming matters. Alignment with the values of the church matter. Being a great ambassador for their faith matters. Bringing the right kids that perfectly fit into that matters. And if all that gets right — and not saying it isn’t — if all that is right the chance to then focus on playing football is increased and the performance usually shows that.“
    What and incredibly powerful message! Sitake, tattoo that on your forehead, make posters and put them up everywhere asap!! And then hold your players accountable to it. Love Bronco.

• Mack2828 Ft Thomas, KY
    Nov. 9, 2017 5:04 p.m.

We miss ya Bronco.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Nov. 9, 2017 3:30 p.m.

83Ute:
    "The committee just won't rank an undefeated team that high with an SOS that bad. If the reason for BYU remaining independent is to get a CFP invite, as you suggest, they need to schedule more than 4 or 5 P5s".

Exhibit A: Wisconsin...undefeated, with a tougher schedule than BYU, but can't ease their way in with the committee. How can you compare wins over the competition the top 4 has beaten, with slim wins over teams like Northwestern. Yes, it isn't Wisconsin's fault that some of their opponents haven't been as good as usual (BYU), but if you want into a 4-team playoff you have to play at least 5-6 P5s AND those need to contain probably around 4 top 25 opponents. BYU is in a tough spot where getting into a P5 conference is really the only option that will allow for this...otherwise get in the AAC and at least compete for a conf championship and possible NY6. CFP isn't happening any time soon, if ever...truth hurts sometimes. Love the Cougars, always will, but folks need to be realistic.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Nov. 9, 2017 2:19 p.m.

@ HalfManHalfAmazing - Baltimore, MD - Nov. 9, 2017 7:54 a.m. - ".....His words of BYU-football testimony and church testimony should be a time for many (not all) BYU fans to reflect on which is more important and how to create an inviting spirit for all. My whole family has been chastised at church for not being BYU fans. Our testimony's have been questioned and called out because of it. I wish I was paraphrasing or exaggeration, but its not."

You know what? I have no problem whatsoever if a fellow church member roots for Utah, or any other school, over BYU. What I DO have a problem with is a fellow church member who is outwardly antagonistic against BYU and then claims to be righteous or 'smarter' for doing it. And you're kidding yourself if that kind of LDS church member doesn't exist.

Does. Not. Compute.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Nov. 9, 2017 2:06 p.m.

@ Brave Sir Robin - San Diego, CA - Nov. 8, 2017 3:08 p.m. - "People’s belief systems aren't contingent on the score of a football game, which is really different for me having come from BYU where not only was football important, but because football was tied so closely to BYU, which is tied so closely to your faith and the faith of so many there, those lines became completely blurred and it all seemed like one thing." - Bronco Mendenhall Wow...quite the statement from the former BYU-Provo head coach. This is his long-winded way of saying that BYU-P fans' testimonies of the church are tied into the success of the football program. People tend to act strangely when something is close to their core belief system, which explains why something seems "off" when it comes to BYU-P fans, and why so many fans of other schools see the fanbase as insufferable."

-----

BTW, the only thing I find "insufferable" are BYU-haters like you. Guys like you claim that BYU is stupid and "insufferable" no matter what we do.

• slcman SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 9, 2017 2:04 p.m.

I feel like BYU needs to do everything it can to re-join the Mountain West Conference. Failing that, the Big Sky would be a good option.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Nov. 9, 2017 2:03 p.m.

Ambush:
    "Mendenhall is 100% correct that if BYU wants to be relevant, then independence is not sustainable. The gap between the P5 and BYU continues to grow and that's just the cold hard truth. I pull for the Vols as well and the gap between top tier programs (Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, etc.) and others within the same conference seems to be widening as well".

Well said...as someone who lived in Georgia a long time and is also a big Dawgs fan, this is a harsh reality and truth I've had to come to as a BYU fan. The gap is indeed widening, and as you said it's even happening within the P5 conferences themselves. There are realistically only about 30 programs in the country that have a realistic shot every year to win the national championship (not 65). I wish that weren't the case and that CFB could have a system like the NFL where there are caps and constraints that wouldn't allow for such a gap, but it is what it is regardless how much I wish it weren't so. And just FYI, the Vols will be back, too much tradition and good recruiting not to be...in the meantime I'll relish beating them 41 to nada at Rocky Top hehe.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Nov. 9, 2017 2:04 p.m.

@ Brave Sir Robin - San Diego, CA - Nov. 8, 2017 3:08 p.m. - "People’s belief systems aren't contingent on the score of a football game, ......., which is tied so closely to your faith and the faith of so many there, those lines became completely blurred and it all seemed like one thing." - Bronco Mendenhall

I disagree. Do some BYU fans link their testimony of the LDS church with whether BYU wins or loses? Possibly. But I bet that is very, very few BYU fans. I don't think it's the "testimony" or "faith" in the truthfulness of the LDS church that Bronco is talking about, though it clearly is what you insinuate happens. It is instead mere disappointment in losing. Strong disappointment, for sure, but still only "disappointment".

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Nov. 9, 2017 1:58 p.m.

First, you know what? I'm happy for Bronco. VERY happy!

He's a good man and a good coach. He coaches with enthusiasm and intensity and the longer he was at BYU the more that came out. He also was a disciplinarian, and it appears we need that, badly. I also don't think he was treated fairly by many BYU fans. Lose on Saturday and be treated poorly at church on Sunday? That's not cool. Nobody needs that.

Second, I totally agree with what he said in terms of "it's the small things that count". Doing the small things, and doing them well, day after day after day......THAT is how you build character and confidence.

Third, no BYU fan can honestly say that our talent level is exactly the same as the major P5 schools. He blew that idea out of the water in his interview, and a guy like Bronco (ie, a major college football head coach) would be better equipped to evaluate the talent levels of their players and opposing players far better than we can out here in anonymous-land. I'm not saying that major P5 teams can't be beat, just that it's going to be harder than previously expected.

I believe in Sitake. I also believe in Detmer. Time to rebuild our once mighty Cougars.

• Ambush15 Chattanooga, TN
    Nov. 9, 2017 1:48 p.m.

"which explains why something seems "off" when it comes to BYU-P fans, and why so many fans of other schools see the fanbase as insufferable."

I'm a lifelong Cougar fan, attended BYU, have two children that currently attend, and will likely always be a supporter. However, don't paint the entire fanbase as "insufferable". I live in SEC country and have realistic expectations. Many die hard BYU fans think we can / should compete for a NC every year. Not going to happen - maybe not ever again. Mendenhall is 100% correct that if BYU wants to be relevant, then independence is not sustainable. The gap between the P5 and BYU continues to grow and that's just the cold hard truth. I pull for the Vols as well and the gap between top tier programs (Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, etc.) and others within the same conference seems to be widening as well. BYU plays the Vols next year in Knoxville. Even with TN being a dumpster fire now (compared to other top SEC programs) they will easily be a double digit favorite over the Cougars. Accept it, enjoy the games, hope the Cougars win, but thankfully there is much more to life than BYU football or sports in general.

• IrieUte west valley, UT
    Nov. 9, 2017 12:05 p.m.

Bluto, were you crying over your keyboard while you typed that? The world is amazing, once you open your eyes.

• Crazy in California Acampo, CA
    Nov. 9, 2017 11:35 a.m.

I hate loosing but I desire to submit "A BYU Fan's Proclamation", my pact with the team. (condescending and redundant though it be)

BYU sports teams and fans should act in ways that are consistent with the school's mission. Teams and coaches compete with class and courage at the highest level possible, live the gospel and meet school standards.
    For my part I will love the teams and support then as they battle thru thick and thin. I will behave myself and treat other teams and their fans with respect and sportsmanship under all circumstances.
    BYU sports is intended to be an ennobling, learning experience, a means to an end, not the end in itself. It is not BYU's reason for being. Football is not going to get me to the Celestial Kingdom. Winning is important, but not everything.
    Even in a close/intimate/competitive culture such as BYU's, I will expend energy improving my own life, overcoming my own challenges while expressing support for the coaches and players as they strive to overcome theirs. Players and coaches will inevitably let me down. I won't take it as my obligation to tell them so when I see them at Walmart or church.

• 83Ute Ogden/Weber, UT
    Nov. 9, 2017 11:31 a.m.

@gandolph (8:41 pm):

"BYU would be much better off as an Independent scheduling 4 or 5 P5’s, a warm up FCS, with a 6-game scheduling agreement with the MWC to make it easier to schedule competitive opponents in October and November. Play Boise St and Utah St plus 4 other MWC teams."

So, you are basically saying BYU should have a schedule similar to 2017. As of today, BYU's SOS is in the mid-50s. By the time they finish playing the last three games on their schedule, it will probably be in the mid-70s which is very similar to last year. Even if lightning strikes and BYU goes undefeated with this kind of schedule, they will not be invited to the CFP. The committee just won't rank an undefeated team that high with an SOS that bad. If the reason for BYU remaining independent is to get a CFP invite, as you suggest, they need to schedule more than 4 or 5 P5s.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2017 11:07 a.m.

Christy B - "BYU has nearly as good a record versus P5’s as Whittingham".
    "Nearly" is a moral victory.
    BYU has played less than half (35) the number of P5 schools that Utah (74) has played since leaving the MWC. The last thing BYU wants is a real P5 schedule.

MRM - "SoonerUte, Why do you and other BYU-hating Ute fans care so much?"
    Don't get me wrong -- I love that BYU is independent. The last thing I want for BYU to return to the MWC. Then I'd have to read about "Cougars win another Conference title" and "As highest G5, Cougars earn NY6 bowl".

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2017 10:51 a.m.

I want to know what he said at half time that caused the need for repentance, and whether or not it disqualifies him to be a mission president...the calling most BYU fans had hoped he'd get for the last 5 years he was in Provo.

• mephisto phx, AZ
    Nov. 9, 2017 9:26 a.m.

Every school has a certain percent of the fan base that is "insufferable", but at BYU it is a much larger percentage and they are so much more vocal. I really hope this year humbles that fan base, I know it has humbled me.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Nov. 9, 2017 9:04 a.m.

"colorful language"? Oh, my. No excuse for that, Bronco. Would like to hear that you maintain the highest of standards at ALL times and under all conditions.

Perhaps that is the chink in the armor that will lead to that tattoo after all.

Let's hope not.

🤗🤔

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Nov. 9, 2017 9:04 a.m.

Good for Bronco! I'm happy for him. I remember saying to my wife when he left, "there are going to be some BYU fans that don't realize how good a coach he was until now". Now I, like other Y fans, was excited to see what Sitake could do, but I didn't disrespect Bronco for his decision or as a coach. His quirkiness annoyed me at times and his relationship with alumni was strained, but is there any question the quality of coach he was/is?

As for the swearing in his halftime speech...I always had a sneaking suspicion that he would use some choice words given the emotional person he was. And as he said, it happened on a couple of occasions at the Y too. The convo with his wife and "family council" that followed gave me a chuckle. Best of luck going forward, coach!

• Gandalph Sandy, UT
    Nov. 9, 2017 8:45 a.m.

Old ball coach

You're pretending that 2017 is the norm instead of what it really is, an anomaly - first losing season in more than a decade, only losing season in 7 seasons as an Independent.

Utah has had two losing seasons since joining the PAC 12, and came close to having a third in 2017.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Nov. 9, 2017 8:34 a.m.

Interesting article.

Bronco is definitely a good coach--2nd best BYU ever had. But then, outside of LaVell and Bronco, every other coach has been a bust in terms of wins and losses.

LaVell Edwards was very comfortable and thrived at BYU. Toward the end of his career, going somewhere else was just not as comfortable--so he stayed.

Bronco never seemed to be fully comfortable at BYU in the way Edwards was. In fairness, expectations and comparisons to Edwards are simply unfair. Yet, Bronco's win-loss record at BYU stacks up pretty well.

Virginia should be a lot easier for Bronco because expectations were about as low as they could go after the London era.

Having lived outside of Utah most of my life, I can attest there is a different LDS culture that is not as stifling as it might be in many parts of Utah.

The BYU job is not for everyone. I'm glad Bronco ismore relaxed and experiencing success at Virginia. By the same token, I think Sitake and Detmer and their staff is right for BYU right now.

• BAKA Lindon, UT
    Nov. 9, 2017 8:19 a.m.

1. Nearly every coach in every sport, including high school, college and pros, work under extreme pressure. BYU is not extreme or different.
    2. As for the culture at BYU, some feel "smothered" while others thrive. Most thrive.

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Nov. 9, 2017 8:00 a.m.

@ Gandolf and Trueblue:

"Independence or P5 membership are the only thing BYU should consider moving forward."

"I agree with TrueBlue; fans who claim that Independence has been a failure lack vision."

To be honest, it is the hard headed vision that independence is so good that is keeping you on your downward spiral. You are 1-3 against your former conference, with the players you have now, you would not compete with MWC or the AAC.

You will become irrelevant if you continue on this track. Folks in Utah have already considered you on the same level as UTAH STATE. Time to swallow some pride, and join a conference so you can start to compete at the level you were 20 years ago...

FIGHT ON!

• HalfManHalfAmazing Baltimore, MD
    Nov. 9, 2017 7:54 a.m.

Ok, MWC is better for BYU because then it pairs them with Boise. No P5 conference is going to take one team by itself. A packaged deal could bring some appeal, or it can show dominance between 2 teams and get both into different P5. Worked for TCU and Utah. Only issue with that is that MWC would need to find someone to bring in with BYU to keep conference even, or kick a team out.

I respect bronco, I have heard stories, from people in his ward, of what happens at church when they lost. I know plenty of strong members who left the church for a lot less. Just shows his testimony of the gospel.

• Christy B Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 9, 2017 6:45 a.m.

Navel Vet, SoonerUte

It’s absolutely hysterical how clueless Ute fans pretend that BYU has never beaten a P5 team since becoming an Independent.

Here’s a clue.

BYU has nearly as good a record versus P5’s as Whittingham.

• MRM Layton, UT
    Nov. 9, 2017 6:37 a.m.

SoonerUte

Why do you and other BYU-hating Ute fans care so much?

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Nov. 9, 2017 5:40 a.m.

@Gandalph - what you are describing is what Notre Dame has with the ACC. Two problems. BYU is not Notre Dame.... as much as some supporters want to believe it, it just isn't true. I went to Notre Dame during for a game between them and Duke when both teams were 1 - 9. It was cold, drizzling freezing rain because the game was late November. And yet the place was packed. As a BYU season ticket holder - I can't ever remember a crowd like that in Provo for even a winning season as there was at Notre Dame. The school is much more steeped in tradition than is BYU.

Second, the MWC isn't the ACC. The ACC has been in contention for a national champion a few years is a row now, Clemson winning last year. The number of national championship programs in the ACC dwarfs the MWC. Not many TV viewers are going to watch a BYU MWC game.

And none of that is necessarily a bad thing. People say BYU can't compete for a championship playing a MWC schedule. As I fan, I think its unrealistic to believe BYU any year has odds of winning a National Championship. Just go to the games and enjoy them, and get delusions of grandeur under control. You'll be much happier.

• Chad S Lorton, VA
    Nov. 9, 2017 4:38 a.m.

Bronco was a good coach that couldn't beat Utah consistently. That's how he'll be remembered. He did a good job guiding BYU into independence but came up short when resumes were reviewed during P5 re-alignment. TCU and Utah were up in the mid 2000s while BYU was good but not great. BYU should strive to be in a P5? No kidding, coach. Maybe BYU isn't doing what it needs to do in terms of $$$ to make that happen. If BYU couldn't get it done by winning 10 games each year for years then something other than performance on the field is keeping BYU out of the bigger leagues. Gee. Wonder what that something might be?

Does he seriously not get any questions from UVA fans when he goes out to eat in Charlottesville? Does he not get recognized there? Considering the UVA coaching staff probably makes up 85% of his ward's high priest quorum I'm sure his sundays are much more comfortable. He never did seem to enjoy the interaction with fans in Provo.

• afewwords Altamont, UT
    Nov. 9, 2017 12:53 a.m.

$7M doesn't hurt in VA either. Note to Bronco: keep your staff happy there.

• worf McAllen, TX
    Nov. 8, 2017 11:39 p.m.

BYU wouldn't win the MWC, and neither would Utah.

Load up and try again next year.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 8, 2017 11:21 p.m.

Good for Bronco. He is a good man and a good coach. I'll continue to root for U. Va and hope they do well!

I think there is more and more evidence that BYU fans, at least in part, ran Bronco to another team. That wasn't their best move. I feel for Sitake.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 8, 2017 10:41 p.m.

Gandalph "better off as an Independent scheduling 4 or 5 P5’s, a warm up FCS"
    Do you really want to start every year on a losing streak? It destroyed your season.

"6-game scheduling agreement with the MWC to make it easier to schedule"
    Why should the MWC go to so much trouble to make BYU's independence easier?
    That is as silly as suggesting that BYU join the AAC and "take Boise with them".
    Why would Boise go with BYU?

MWC (10+ wins) > Independence (8- wins) > P5 (can't cross the 50 yard line)

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Nov. 8, 2017 10:30 p.m.

I think this article explains a lot. I am glad that Virginia is doing well. I am glad he is happy there. I think many might feel that he overstayed his welcome in Provo.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Nov. 8, 2017 9:44 p.m.

Spokane Ute:

"It looks like he was a much better coach than most people thought."

Correct you are. I admit...I had him pegged to be the next "Dan Hawkins", and go "3 [years]-&-out". And while UVa's SOS has been rather mediocre, those wins vs. Boise St and Ga Tech were pretty impressive. Maybe he's there to stay after all.

• estreetshuffle Window Rock, AZ
    Nov. 8, 2017 9:43 p.m.

Bronco made the right decision to leave because the culture does smother you.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Nov. 8, 2017 9:29 p.m.

@gandolph - really funny to see a post about the possibility of BYU in the CFP. Yes they have a better chance as an independent than as a G5 conference member, but all that does is move their chance from none to extremely slim.

Lots of fans like Bluto that couldn't wait to see Bronco hit the road. Now most of them realize he was a strange duck but a good coach. Bluto just seems to want to hold grudges, similar to how he feels about Utah.

• Rockyrd Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 8, 2017 9:23 p.m.

Bronco is a very fine football coach. He was not treated well by some fans in Provo. It's a shame BYU fans cannot appropriately handle a loss. Talking football at church when a coach is in your ward should be out of bounds. He's there to worship, not be hassled.

In the last 90s, some fans were ready to run LaVell out of town. Then it was Bronco's turn. A little more patience and kindness are appropriate.

• Gandalph Sandy, UT
    Nov. 8, 2017 8:41 p.m.

As a G5, BYU would NEVER have a chance of getting a CFP berth, because BYU would never have the requisite SOS playing only a couple of P5 teams, at most, in any given season.

• keithlue Provo, UT
    Nov. 8, 2017 8:05 p.m.

Good interview. Bronco is a good man. Congrats to him and his coaching staff. Admittedly, sports are not the center of my universe. I admire all great teams and exceptional human performance. BYU must be all that it can be, but stop trying to be something that it is not. #Humility

• JBs Logan, UT
    Nov. 8, 2017 7:56 p.m.

I have to agree with Bronco. I love Utah, my heart is here as is my family. And yet I found it much easier to be LDS living out of state. No disrespect intended to my friends and neighbors here, but I find the LDS culture can sometimes get in the way of living the gospel. Yet I love the culture! A conundrum for sure. And please don't tell me to move because I'm staying.

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    Nov. 8, 2017 6:51 p.m.

Diversity makes the world a better place. I'm glad Mendenhall is finally experiencing some.

• truenorth3 Draper, UT
    Nov. 8, 2017 6:49 p.m.

Coach Mendenhall is spot-on! Good for him, Good for UVA. The buddy-buddy/relative system doesn't work P5 or otherwise. #culturematters

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Nov. 8, 2017 5:04 p.m.

"People tend to act strangely when something is close to their core belief system, which explains why something seems "off" when it comes to BYU-P fans, and why so many fans of other schools see the fanbase as insufferable."

Not that I'm judgemental or anything.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Nov. 8, 2017 4:53 p.m.

Good for Mendenhall - he's come a long way from getting beat by the FCS Richmond Spiders in his first Yahoo game. However, BYU is never going to be invited to a P-5 conference. I wish they would, but Mormonphobia will stop the invite dead in its tracks.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Nov. 8, 2017 4:23 p.m.

@Bluto

You may want to tone it down with your undressing of Bronco. Looking from a wins/losses perspective, he's the 2nd best coach in the history of BYU-Provo football.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 8, 2017 3:58 p.m.

It looks like he was a much better coach than most people thought. He is in a much better place; good for bronco

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 8, 2017 3:56 p.m.

@TrueBlue - Provo, UT

Independence has worked out really well for BYU (irony here) so let's keep doing something that is not working. That makes a ton of since. P5 inclusion seems to be a mirage as well. Would it not be better for BYU to return to what made them at least a household name of success? The problem there is eating some "humble pie."

• Noodlekaboodle Poplar Grove, UT
    Nov. 8, 2017 3:54 p.m.

@TrueBlue
    I completely disagree. I get why BYU did what they did. But as a fan, I find it harder and harder to care about an independent team. I mean this season is....well it's really bad, and it would be bad in a conference as well. But for many past 8-3, 9-2 type seasons, once you lose a game, you know the exact fate of the team. I'd rather see BYU compete for a conference championship, even if that conference is C-USA or the MWC.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Nov. 8, 2017 3:39 p.m.

from the article:

"In particular, the LDS coach likes that football and his faith aren't intertwined like they were at his previous place of employment, a university owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Wow...Is that Rich !

It was you Bronco, who intertwined Faith and football like none other.

It was you Bronco, who at your first news conference, after being named head coach, who enjoined the Book of Mormon's Stripling Warriors with your players.

It was you Bronco, who held Friday night firesides late on Fridays, with 10:00 a.m. start times the next morning, on the road. Leaving your teams tired and woefully unprepared.

The more Bronco talks, the more it reminds us, once again, of how it was truly time for him to move on.

A BYU Guy....Bronco? You never were!

Hang tough Sitake and company, the future is still bright.
    Just start playing the young guys now in preparation for next year.

As for Mangum.... it's time to retire.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 8, 2017 3:36 p.m.

Great interview. It made me like Coach Mendenhall more, and feel sympathetic for Coach Sitake. I am interested to see how things turn out for Bronco at Virginia where he has "players that have never been to a bowl game" and now they're bowl eligible. Nice turnaround.

• TrueBlue Provo, UT