Chris Hicks: Here's looking at you, 'Casablanca’ — 75 years later

• Strider303 American Fork, UT
    Nov. 9, 2017 9:26 a.m.

I find the "Shocked, Shocked..." line so apropos to today's political scene.

I recall reading somewhere that Ronald Reagan and Ann Sheridan were initially considered for leads. Wouldn't have been the same.

Is Dr. Strangelove on the list? I get a kick out of that movie.

• JBs Logan, UT
    Nov. 8, 2017 8:19 p.m.

Beautiful movie that stands the test of time. I miss simpler times and this always takes me back.

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 8, 2017 3:08 p.m.

A great movie about some incredibly important themes but presented in such an unpretentiously entertaining way, one hardly notices the emotional attachments the movie produces.

I was about 7-8 the first time I saw Casablanca and therefore didn't really understand a lot of the intrigue that simmers throughout the movie. The thing that stuck with me from that first viewing and hits me every time since is the amazingly stirring rendition of "La Marseillaise" that rose from the Nazis singing "Die Wacht Am Rhein". I just **loved** it!! Initially, I was mostly amazed by the composer's ability to transition from the one to the other with the same beat and chords. It wasn't until subsequent viewings much later that I understood the wartime political relationship between the parties singing the contrasting songs and their implications that provoked obvious emotional responses. It's one of the most memorable and pivotal moments of the movie and certainly stands the test of time.

• USA Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 8, 2017 2:16 p.m.

Best film of all time. Indeed, I'm afraid Major Stroessner would insist.

• TAS Tehachapi, CA
    Nov. 8, 2017 12:13 p.m.

The movie made "As Time Goes By" a very popular song in late 1942, the problem was, the musicians union had struck the recording companies, so one of the record companies reissued an early 1930s recording of the song by Rudee Vallee.

• JP Chandler, AZ
    Nov. 8, 2017 9:43 a.m.

Maybe it doesn't matter for a film that's 75 years old, but the exact nature of Ilsa and Victor Lazlo's relationship is a minor spoiler (at least it's played that way in the film).

Casablanca is number one on my list and likely always will be.

For anyone who's ever had their heart broken: "Mostly I remember the last one. The wow finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out." That scene always gets me.

Also, "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!"

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    Nov. 8, 2017 8:55 a.m.

One of my favorites. Always brings a smile and a tear.

• Rockyrd Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 8, 2017 7:36 a.m.

48 years ago, my girlfriend was thinking about breaking up with me. One afternoon, she came to my apartment while I was watching Casablanca. We watched the movie together. At the end of it, she told me she was staying with me. She looks a bit like Ingrid Bergman. I’m no Bogart, Now, after all these years together, three children, eight grandchildren, we still watch Casablanca together as time goes by.