Mangum suffers season-ending injury as BYU falls short against Fresno State

• Truth & Light Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 6, 2017 12:07 p.m.

BYU is bad at football.

• Voodohound-WIS Waukesha, WI
    Nov. 6, 2017 12:04 p.m.

Yes, BYU is bad this year. I'm hearing it from my Wisconsin co-workers. They were hoping that BYU would be better but unfortunately we are dragging their resume down for playoff inclusion. Before the season they thought BYU would be one of their best games. Now they tell me their best win is FAU. Oh the shame.

ewe-t-ology. I'm glad you are so giddy about your Sagarin rating even though the head-to-head scoreboard has the ewe as only 6 points better than a very bad BYU team. That's usually the best indicator anyway. But in the end, Utah will have a 5-7 record, miss a bowl game, and be irrelevant in a P5 conference. Nothing to brag about. You should worry about your own team and not BYU.

We are disappointed because the Y is having a horrible season. You are happy because the utes aren't as crappy as the Y. That tells me your level of happiness is a direct correlation with how well BYU does. So we have that in common. But kind of pathetic, don't you think?

• HS Sport Dude Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 6, 2017 11:33 a.m.

As a fanatic watcher of College Football, I believe BYU has shown the last 5 years what they have been for the last 40 years. The knocks on BYU has always been: Weak Schedule, lack of depth, and lack of talent to compete in Top Conferences. For analysis look at their performance against P5 (or schools that were in a P5 type conference since 1980)

Total Record Since 1980 is 47-65
    81-85 is 9-5 (in 1984 beat 3 P5 type Teams with a combined record of 14-19)
    86-90 is 6-10
    1980’s (glory years?) 15-15
    91-95 is 3-12
    96-00 is 6-8
    01-05 is 5-10
    06-10 is 8-6
    11-15 is 10-14
    16-current is 3-7

Competing against P5 talent 8-9 games a year is now required to be a top 5 team (resume matters). The most P5 opponents played by BYU in a single year is 7 and they were 2-5. For me it's clear that BYU has never proven themselves a top program. In my opinion they have had two years with a team that is "Top 10" but for sure no higher than 5. Those years are 1984 and 1996 (most impressive Bowl win against a good Kansas State Team).

BTW... Not a Utah Fan, just a person that looks at facts.

• Swan Ronson St. Louis, MO
    Nov. 6, 2017 10:39 a.m.

The whole "rebuilding year" excuse doesn't fly for me. That's something you claim before a season has started, when you have lost a ton of top-shelf talent and plan on letting a bunch of freshmen and sophomores to the heavy lifting. I don't recall that being the case.

Everything that can go wrong this year has gone wrong. And, oh well. I will give the program a mulligan on this one. I'm not one to start predicting runs at the CFP after a good season with a bunch of starters returning, and I'm not going to bury them after a catastrophic season. This is how it goes sometimes.

Now, if they look anything like this in 2018, we will officially have a problem.

• Jello is Good ,
    Nov. 6, 2017 8:30 a.m.

@Laxman - taylorsville, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 11:16 a.m.

"Why did they burn that kids red shirt year? Played a couple series in a game that was over and then he sits on the bench? That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen."

They burned it because he won't be needing it, just like Mangum last year. BYU had two freshman QB's red shirting that they feel are better than they have right now. By burning Critchlow's red shirt, they are now not on the same year and they plan to use both.

• Jello is Good ,
    Nov. 6, 2017 8:23 a.m.

@blue & white - Boise, ID
    Nov. 5, 2017 7:17 a.m.

"Pray for a fast and complete recovery Tanner to come back strong and ready for next season."

I,too, am praying for a complete recovery, but Mangum has started his last game for BYU. He had over 25 starts to show what he could do and proved that he is average against G5's and poor against P5's. Time to move on.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Nov. 6, 2017 8:11 a.m.

Given the course recruiting has taken, the inexperienced coaching staff and the bizarre scheduling as an independent, will BYU football ever recover?

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2017 11:38 p.m.

@BYU Joe - MISSION VIEJO, CA

I suspect there will be some changes and some upgrades. I also suspect next year will be more like last year - I know this, it can't be worse.

-------------

If it's like last year, BYU will start 1-4. If you pull of a miracle then 2-3. You'll be lucky to be 6-6.

at Arizona Loss

Nov. 5, 2017 11:26 p.m.

Sagarin:

#42 Utah
    #51 UCLA
    #61 Fresno State
    #117 BYU

BYU "fans" still want to debate that Utah is "only 6 points" better than BYU?

Utah is closer to #1 Alabama than BYU is to #61 Fresno State.

LOL

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Nov. 5, 2017 10:12 p.m.

"A really enjoyable game to watch. I am glad I stayed up late. . . "

Thanks for caring. Serenity now - serenity now.

• BYU Joe MISSION VIEJO, CA
    Nov. 5, 2017 8:21 p.m.

The most I ever learned came after loss. If this is true for BYU then we should learn a lot.

This is not the fault of being Indy. It is not the fault of Holmoe. It is not the fault of Detmer or Sitake or the other coaches.

It is a collective fault and sometimes stuff happens. The question is not weather this is a bad season - that is obvious. The question is will the Cougs recover and return to winning ways.

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    Nov. 5, 2017 8:09 p.m.

Very little respect for trolls looking to kick a dog when he's down. Yeah, we know BYU isn't great this year.

The fans who aren't fans are equally as disappointing.

It's called a rebuilding year, and time will tell if we rebuild or if it was simply a bad year.

In either case, if you are a fan be a fan.

• SIMPLICITY Denver, CO
    Nov. 5, 2017 7:06 p.m.

Why are people so distraught and pessimistic?

Byu overachieved so far this year. Two victories at this point is stupendous! I figured they would finish the season 1-12 but no, byu has already outdone themselves.

Lets turn that frown upside down. Be positive, be happy.

• Road Runner Cedar City, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 6:57 p.m.

Lia

If every team that has suffered an 8+ loss season this century had been kicked out of Div 1, more than half of the teams in Div 1 wouldn’t have survived, including most of the teams that have won National Championships.

• wahului Stockton, CA
    Nov. 5, 2017 5:34 p.m.

This team seems lackadaisical, even in their warmups. They saunter casually around the field in their shorts at half speed, doing nothing in particular, for no discernable purpose. I agree that the training regimen doesn't seem to be working; it seems focused on getting bigger...as a player in a long past era, I always knew that there was "weightlifting strong", which looked impressive, but almost never resulted in being the best player, and "useful or game strong", that more related to speed and flexibility...and smarts. I cannot remember ever seeing so many injuries on any team in that era. The weakest spot on BYU's offense presently seems to be the receivers. They continue to drop balls that are completely catchable, i.e. no real defensive interference. Matt Bushman does better, but still drops too many. I don't see any big cure-all move that needs to be made(or can) but attention to detail and bold, determined aggression both seem to be lacking with this group.

• Mr. Boris Layton, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 5:31 p.m.

It's not all Kalani's fault. It's his, Detmer's, the rest of his buddies that he hired instead of hiring experienced college coaches.

Most of all though, it's Holmoe's fault.

Go back to the MWC, find a new athletic director and head football coach and start over.

Sometimes you've got to hit rock bottom before you can climb again.

BYU football is rock bottom right now.

• Mountainman38 Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 5, 2017 5:28 p.m.

Lessons from Fresno

Before the season I told my BYU neighbor that BYU had cinched a bowl game before the season even started. They would have a 7-6 record. Most of my friends were insulted & expected much better. I was disappointed, too. So how do you fix this disaster of the first magnitude?

My suggestion is to start with the Athletic Director. He has a history of poor decisions that has ruined a very good football program and put them in third position in the state behind Utah and Utah State. They burned their bridges to a football conference unless the Big 12 has mercy on Kansas and gives them BYU as a playmate. Don't believe me. Look what two bad AD's did to a great football power, Nebraska? Big winners for 50 years turned into losers--twice!

So what can we learn from history and the Fresno State game? Last season the Bulldogs were 1-11. This year they are bowl eligible and have a chance to win MWC division. Who is the coach? Jeff Tedford who did it with little talent that had a losing history. He is the same coach who took a 1-10 Cal team to a 7-5 record his first year, and bowl games thereafter. Who was the Cal coach who made the mess? Tom Holmoe (16-39)!!

• mightymite , 00
    Nov. 5, 2017 4:36 p.m.

The glamour is gone from the program and there are no longer any missionary benefits from putting such economic resources into the program. With the ESPN money drying up next year I am sure the church leadership will be taking a long look at the viability of the program.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 5, 2017 4:21 p.m.

Look on the bright side, you can still brag about only losing to Utah by 6 points

• cougarsrock Springville, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 4:19 p.m.

Atlonglast ,
    I know there are a lot of comments on the D news that are just friendly jabs towards certain teams just for fun.. I have been reading some of your comments towards the Y and can't even imagine how it would feel to have so much hate and anamosity towards a private church owned school ....

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    Nov. 5, 2017 3:35 p.m.

Sanefan - Wellsville, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 12:49 p.m.
    Yes, Uteolgy, this BYU team is horrible and yet, Fresno beat them by a larger margin than Utah did. And Utah humbled UCLA, goes to show you just how bad Utah and the entire PAC 12 really is.
    _____

More crying and bashing from Provostan because BYU is not in a conference. What does the PAC12 have to do with BYU losing again?

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 3:34 p.m.

tendons are tough injuries. Hope Tanner can heal fast. As this season ends perhaps some reality has set in. Independence has killed buy football. I don't see 2018 being any better than 2017...sadly.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 3:18 p.m.

This is what you get when you go independent. Sure, coaching has been lackluster, but there's only so much you can do as a coach when you are getting sloppy seconds (or worse) to every other decent G5 team on the recruiting trail, and then you get destroyed playing the Who's Who of College Football every game for the first 5-6 games of the season, leaving half your starters out with injuries. Sitake and Co. were the best possible choice for BYU at the time, and probably still are. No coach can turn lead into gold.

BYU is simply reaping what it sowed years ago when fans were beating their chest about all that ESPN TV money. I think I read somewhere that pride goeth before the fall.

• Pagosa Kid SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 3:06 p.m.

Has anyone looked at the 2018 schedule. Only one home game worth watching (Cal) and a brutal road schedule. BYU better figure things out during the off season or a repeat of this year is in store.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 3:04 p.m.

"sg"-uh, did you watch or read any post game reports? Um, Mangum will be out the rest of the season. But, if you want him on the bench, no doubt your best friend, Coach Sitake, will arrange it for you.

• Rick From The Sticks Apache Junction, AZ
    Nov. 5, 2017 2:59 p.m.

I can remember in the 1980's when lots of people gathered at the Stake Center in El Paso TX where they had satellites TV to watch quality BYU teams pass their way to victory but not any more watching. BYU football is a waste of time

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Nov. 5, 2017 2:36 p.m.

Serious question for those who want to fire Sitake, Detmer, or anyone else on the coaching staff:

With Holmoe still the AD and a lack of talent at almost every position, what makes you think any other coach BYU-Provo could realistically get would do any better?

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 12:59 p.m.

It's hard to see the value of sending Magnum out there all bandaged up after he suffered his initial injury. That seemed to be poor medical staff judgment. When he injured his Achilles, did the trainers say "oops"?

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 12:49 p.m.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 12:44 p.m.

This is a really bad team. The announcers kept saying how talented BYU is, but I don't see it. Receivers can't catch the ball, Magnum is myopic in his reads and the O line is pitiful. On one carry by Canada, while he was still running, I watched as 2 O line men were nonchalantly walking down the field, one of the messing with his chin strap. They both should have been benched and replaced with players that give 100% until the play is over. But it did demonstrate the overall character of the team, lazy. They will lose 1 maybe 2 more. If they finish with 4 wins, I'll be amazed.

• Trigotan Kennewick, WA
    Nov. 5, 2017 12:29 p.m.

Look at the bright side, at least BYU has won just as many Pac-12 championships as Utah, and has appeared in just as many Pac-12 championship games. They must be doing something right.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 12:14 p.m.

I would disagree that all the positions on BYU's team are playing worse than when Sitake took over. I think the TE play has seen great improvement. I have implored on these blogs that the TE coach, Steve Clark, be the one calling the plays. He was the OC at SUU with Ed Lamb and did a great job there. He was the OC at Weber State and when there Weber's offense made positive strides. I think the roles of the coaches need to be evaluated and changed. I think Detmer still can bring positive things to the table as the QB coach but he was not ready to be the OC. I think with either Clark, or Lamb, those are the two that should be coordinating the offense as the staff is now constituted.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 12:08 p.m.

I think BYU fans are a little optimistic about a 5-8 finish.

Let's look at the last three games

They play at UNLV who beat Fresno State.

They play UMass who though 2-8 has looked better recently and was actually ahead of Mississippi State at half in their game Saturday before losing by 10 points.

They play Hawaii at Hawaii, not a great team but on the islands, the Rainbow Warriors are tough to beat, well tough to beat if you're not a good team which BYU definitely is at this point.

Please quit blaming Mangum. BYU's offense actually outgained Fresno State last night and I thought Mangum looked decent. There were some key drops and I think his injury hurt the Y's chances obviously as Hoge couldn't get things going. Time to play Critchlow since they did blow his redshirt. Not playing him at this point would be a crime.

• BlueCoug Provo, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 11:49 a.m.

East Coast Coug

Totally agree - rebuilding season with young players and inexperienced coaching staff.

BYU fans just need to be patient and give BYU’s coaches and players time to learn and mature.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2017 11:39 a.m.

Henry Drummond - San Jose, CA
    Nov. 5, 2017 9:33 a.m.
    BYU is going through a rebuilding process that centers on the coaches more than the players. You have four out of five Offensive coaches with little or no FBS experience and it shows on the field. The good news is that these are smart resilient guys who will figure it out and BYU will be better for it in the long term.

------

This was game number 23.

The offense looks worse in game 23 vs an average G5 team than they did in game 2 vs a top 25 P5 team.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Nov. 5, 2017 11:25 a.m.

Injury total is 38! No team anywhere would win with that load of injuries.

I'd be finding out about why.

Had both BYU and Washington vs Oregon on at the same time ... toggled back and forth. Chris Peterson has made Washington a monster after UW lost to Oregon 12 years in a row. I've never seen the Dawgs look better. Coaches make a difference. They are fast. Very fast. Defense is fast and smothering. Oregon got 3 points.

I've never seen the Cougars look (much) worse. But is it coaching? Is it conditioning? Is it simply bad luck? Three of Taysom Hill's injuries were his fault - doing crazy stuff, two of which the games were already won. Why was Hill even in those games at that time? Well, Hill, the superman, could not help himself. He was so awesome he thought he was indestructible.

But 38 injuries is something else. My guess: too much muscle, too little stretching. This is a conditioning issue. I'd start there. Fire the coaches? No way. Look at the training? You betcha.

• Stringer Bell Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 11:25 a.m.

Oh Henry: “You have four out of five Offensive coaches with little or no FBS experience and it shows on the field. The good news is that these are smart resilient guys who will figure it out and BYU will be better for it in the long term.”

What are you seeing that no one else is seeing that there’s good news and these guys are figuring things out? To date, they haven’t shown that they can figure anything out. Watching Sitake and Detmer, they have the look of being completely perplexed and over their head.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 11:18 a.m.

BYU is just a bad football team. Really, really bad.

Thanks Holmoe.

• Laxman taylorsville, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 11:16 a.m.

• VegasMike Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 5, 2017 10:30 a.m.

Enough of the nauseating excuses and the groupthink. Time for strength and conditioning staff to be fired. Just look at the offensive line! Mike drop. On offense, coaches need to step down at the end of the season or be fired. Make Detmer understand if he continues on, that, repeat this season and he will be fired. Recruiting is going to take a hit and this could be the worst recruiting class in years.
    If you want to play Power5 talent you have to recruit talent. Otherwise, just say we want to play and compete with Power5 teams not focus so much on winning while maintaining the integrity, character and respect for the institution and of being men to do the right things for the right reasons. In life, there are consequences when we do the wrong thing. Why should BYU footbal be different?

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 10:25 a.m.

First and foremost: I hope Mangum has a full recovery. I feel sorry for him as I do for all who suffer season ending injuries.
    Second: In my opinion there is considerable wisdom in lyrics from Kenny Rodgers' the Gambler. "The secret to survivin' is knowing what to throw away and knowin' what to keep. " and "Know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. Know when to walk away. Know when to run"
    BYU should forget this year from this day on! Does it really matter whether you finish 2-11 or 5-8 when you consider who those 5 wins would be against? The UMass game matters only as the day to honor the seniors! They chose to play at BYU and for four years have represented the school well. Honor them! Other than that every decision, effort, thought should be how to turn this year around and have a successful season next year. Identify recruits that can help the most and make every effort to sign them. Every effort, within NCAA rules, should be made in the recruiting process. Identify the strengths of every coach and take action accordingly.
    Coming from a Utah fan, take these words for what you think they're worth... but that is what I recommend.

• Lolly Lehi, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 10:25 a.m.

As the ESPN announcers said, this has been a rough year for the Y with all of the injuries and an insane schedule with the top ranked teams. I thought they looked good yesterday. I heard one fellow say today that BYU should give up football and have scholastics as their main goal. I believe that was what a lot of those who have written in today are saying also with their negative comments, U fans excluded. Or maybe they were saying that they should take over the coaching duties or play for the Y. Much ado about nothing since next year will come with better results and this year will be forgotten.

• Cougarbib2 Moorpark, CA
    Nov. 5, 2017 10:21 a.m.

BYU is snake bit. In addition to losing 5 games to much better teams, they lose to USU, ECU, and FSU - teams that are only slightly better. BYU could not catch a break in those 3 winnable games. By winnable, I do not mean that BYU was better or should have been favored, I just mean that they had a chance to be competitive.

Maybe we should go back to playing the really tough teams on the road and hope to beat USU, ECU, and FSU in Provo - but, alas, they were all road games.

It is tough enough to be bad, but adding in a bunch of bad breaks makes BYU worse than bad.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Nov. 5, 2017 9:33 a.m.

• golfwt Boise, ID
    Nov. 5, 2017 9:28 a.m.

Very sorry for Tanner, hope a full recovery. Apparently, Tom Holmoe made a comment to the sports folks, tough schedule but the kids can handle it. Starting out the season with Wisconsin, LSU, Miss St, BSU, etc., U of Washington starts with Rutgers, Montana, and Fresno St. BYU ends up with some 30+ injuries, and the rest of the season is ruined. BYU has recently lost several recruits and will lose more, who wants to run that schedule with the possibility of severe injury. When will Holmoe realize BYU as an independent is not going to be undefeated, is not going the the final four, and would be luckly if the Mountain West Conference would take them back. He is ruining the once proud football program.

• hi-ya Murray, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 9:17 a.m.

It's aways darkest before the dawn. I don't know the why that BYU has had such a tuff year, but this I know and was reminded of it, that the 1996 season where BYU went 14-1 was preceded by a tuff previous year as far as BYU standards go of 7-4. After the Trials the Rewards come. As bad as the Trials have been for BYU this year, I would not doubt it that BYU wins the National Championship next year. TIJ.

• GoRed Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 8:51 a.m.

The train wreck continues...

• LoveTheKittens Central, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 8:50 a.m.

I am sure that the NCAA will give us a waiver so that we can go bowling. I mean we have the really neat streak and all.

I hear the lanes in Payson are really nice, maybe the day after Christmas?

• mnsave Rigby, ID
    Nov. 5, 2017 8:44 a.m.

I heard 5 drops. Those guys are getting a free education to catch the ball. Not much has been said about this season long problem until yesterday. I felt Cahoun fixed that his 1st on the staff. Maybe I now understand why Mendenhall let him go.

• Facts are friendly Sandy, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 8:38 a.m.

4th and 1 and we roll out to the right ... AND PASS! Incomplete...

If you can't get one yard on the ground you should not go for it on 4th and 1

• toosmartforyou Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 8:24 a.m.

Far too little desire to win or stop Fresno. Those 4th and 1 plays that failed at mid-field...more evidence that the killer instinct just wasn't there this year. Soft defense, no offense to speak of regarding scoring, it's pathetic. Even with all that they had many opportunities at the end to tie the game, but that's the problem, they think that is good football strategy.

Enough of this "Well, brethren..." approach to preparing a team to play. They need to come out on fire and be ready to send the other team packing from the kick-off. We had yet another 3 quarters without a touchdown. How many this year so far?

• Farmington Fan Farmington, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 8:14 a.m.

"Next man up" mentality (if BYU actually has a next man available).

In all honesty, this was probably one of BYU's best played games this season. However, once again, they were playing a better team--like they were in about 6 of their previous losses.

• 7 in a row! Ogden, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 7:47 a.m.

Lost opportunity...

Expected 8 wins below:

Portland State (0-8) ... start with a win
    Utah State (4-5) ... oops
    ECU (2-7) ... OOPS
    San Jose State (1-8) ... 2nd win!
    Fresno State (5-3) ... OOPS
    UNLV (3-5)
    UMass (2-7)
    Hawaii (3-5)

• GettinOld South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 7:39 a.m.

It's been a brutal season for the Cougars, in more ways than one. And now Mangum is out with an achilles tendon tear. What else could go wrong?

• Boomer Chicago, IL
    Nov. 5, 2017 7:33 a.m.

Sorry to hear about the Magnum injury. But I guess this loss guarantees a losing record against MWC teams. Nonetheless, I still think MWC membership is better for this program than independence.

• james d. morrison Sandy, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 7:26 a.m.

I don't understand the sentence in here, "the loss all but ended BYU's slim bowl hopes." It ended with their previous loss. If it didn't, then it did definitely end with this loss. The phrase, "all but ended" means it pretty much ended it but not to 100% finality. Their bowl hopes are dead, buried and rotting.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 7:25 a.m.

Sorry Jeff.
    Coug's bowl chances evaporated long before this loss.
    This is no longer a Division 1 team.
    Fans can stand it, the players must not like it as well.

• blue & white Boise, ID
    Nov. 5, 2017 7:17 a.m.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Nov. 5, 2017 6:51 a.m.

A really enjoyable game to watch. I am glad I stayed up late. . .

I see the DN writer still has faint hopes of BYU playing in a bowl game? Delusional. It also is evident that Hoge is not the answer to BYU's football woes. Of course, Mangum wasn't either. It is called 'lack of talent' and is evident for all but about three players on the team. Oh well, on to the next one up on the cupcake half of the schedule. . .

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Nov. 5, 2017 6:35 a.m.

One of the more noticeable things last night was the lack of standout athletes on this team, especially when you think of Jamaal Williams and Taysom Hill. Both our O and D lines are weak. We were pushed 3-6 yards off the line on every play by FS' offensive line. And on offense, we couldn't create a pocket or open holes on 3rd downs. FS got yardage effortlessly from their O line and the only time we stopped them was when our linebackers helped.

I thought the play calling was better last night but our guys dropped passes and couldn't execute the plays.

Yes, the coaches bear responsibility for getting our guys ready, but when your level of skill is this low, there's only so much that can be done. The only way out of this hole is recruiting and at this rate, it's going to be very difficult to get players to want to come to BYU to rebuild, altho that's exactly what FS did after last season.

I still stand by Sitake and Detmer, they need time to rebuild and are our best option.

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    Nov. 5, 2017 6:35 a.m.

Went to bed after the Canada touchdown thinking that the Cougars were going to win. Woke up to bad news all around. Good luck TM on a complete and speedy recovery.

• Justmythoughts Provo, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 6:20 a.m.

This has been a tough season for Cougar fans. All of the injuries seem like it is more than bad luck. Who is the strength and conditioning coach? I hope the team works hard this off season to build up some strength... They are a really bad football team this year. I love 'em, but they are bad.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Nov. 5, 2017 5:51 a.m.

“It’s very disappointing. We’re not playing good football right now and it’s my fault," said coach Kalani Sitake
    No kidding. It has been every game this year.

• Oh Really? HERRIMAN, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 5:05 a.m.

Sitake is a horrible coach. “It’s my fault,” he says, and then starts to tear down everyone and everything else. Well, coach, it is your fault.

You picked a bunch of your buddies as assistants and there isn’t a single position group that is playing better than they were before you took over.

Your trainers put a guy back in with an injury and he blew his ankle out.

You say your defense can’t stop anyone, yet they only gave up 20 points, despite you going for it in fourth down at midfield and giving your opponent a short field that they turned into a touchdown.

You better make some changes in the offseason, or you will be and should be done after next year.

Bronco was a stuffed shirt and arrogant towards fans, but at least he gave them a good product on the field.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 5:01 a.m.

Meanwhile...

While the House continues to Burn Down....

Sitake & Detmer are still having discussions across the street, as to how much pressure (psi) to use, when they finally decide to turn on the fire hydrant.

Don't want to be too hasty now, do we?

Meet us at the ashes !

#Too Late

• CougarForever Holladay, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2017 1:13 a.m.

In the article, the sentence "The loss all but ended BYU's slim bowl hopes." simply should be "The loss ended BYU's slim bowl hopes."

This was a tough loss. If we had won this game along with the next three remaining games and finished 6-7 there probably was greater than a 50% chance that we would have been given a spot in the Frisco Bowl (depending, of course, on the number of .500 and above teams available to fill all the bowl possibilities). Now, that opportunity has vanished. There is no way our ESPN benefactors will get us into a bowl game at 5-8.

What a horrible season!

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Nov. 5, 2017 1:13 a.m.

Excuse me. I’m new to all of this. Is there any way that the Cougars could now earn a bowl bid at the end of this season? Any scenario. Even far fetched ones? Maybe something involving ESPN’s understanding of how special this program is? ....No?

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 5, 2017 12:45 a.m.

Mangum looked a little better, probably his best game of the season until he got hurt (looked to me like like Achilles injury). I fully anticipated Hoge wouldn’t miss a beat and march the team downfield. However, he looked tentative, and didn’t play his usual aggressive self. He seems to be a little gimpy. It wasn’t his best performance.

The defense played well enough to win but once again, offense couldn’t finish. Once again dropped passes, some poor passes, and failure to capitalize in the red zone lost this game. This team is in desperate need of a “hero” on offense—someone they can rely on to make plays. All season, they have been incapable of coming from behind because they really have no playmakers, no one they can rely on, especially on offense.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 12:31 a.m.

Well coug fans, this has been quite a disappointment of a season. Maybe “Sheriff Sitake” isn’t going to be the coach everyone “thought” he was going to be. Better luck next year! Except when you play the Utes.

I hope ‘Maxie Loves Red Pepsi’ is okay?

• CV Storm Hyrum, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 12:28 a.m.

Cougs played their best game of the season in Fresno. Coug fans should now have hope, BYU may win out and very well end up with a 5-8 record. I am sorry for Mangum, I hope he heals quickly and is able to play again this year. BYU looked more like a team tonight!

• sg newhall, CA
    Nov. 5, 2017 12:24 a.m.

Okay, finish the season and then fire sitake and his entire coaching staff. And while we're at it, bench mangum. He is not a good QB. He telegraphs his passes, he can't run/scramble. This is the worst BYU football team in decades. Sitake is way over his head. Everything about this team stinks to high heaven. Couldn't even beat a team from the Mountain West. That about says it all.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2017 12:22 a.m.

#116 Sagarin last week... 2-8 now and dropping fast.

• itswhatithink West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 12:10 a.m.

The y didn't fall short, they barely played catch to Fresno State for a couple of minutes