Mormon humanitarian donations quadruple in response to disasters

• goosehuntr Tooele, UT
    Nov. 6, 2017 8:34 a.m.

When all of that assistance is condensed in a report like that, it is staggering... especially when you think that fast offerings and humanitarian contributions are coming in from about half of the church membership. The Lord is stretching the loaves and fishes to feed the masses. Relatively small church in terms of numbers and dominions, but large in effect on humans around the world.

Church seems to be a good neighbor to the citizens of the world.

• DTanner Chandler, AZ
    Nov. 5, 2017 10:12 p.m.

ssev: I'm wondering what those two numbers have to do with each other? That's like wanting to know what the total tax revenue of the United States is in response to learning that they only promised $500 million dollars to fix the Houston Hurricane/flooding damage. The rest of the tax receipts go to operate the United States just as the rest of the tithing receipts go to operate a 15 million-member church with 30,000 congregations around the world.
    We should also remember that over that 39 year period the church has grown tremendously so the two billion dollar total is heavily weighted to donation over the last 5-10 years.

• ssev Maple Grove, MN
    Nov. 5, 2017 6:54 p.m.

Hi, KevinSim. You write:

"Ssev, I'm taking a look at Matthew 25:31-40, and I don't see Jesus quoted as saying anything about providing education to the people He was talking about. Can you point me to where Jesus says that?"

Great point, Kevin. When we read in verse 36, " I was in prison, and ye came unto me," I include those who are imprisoned by ignorance and mental afflictions, which would include providing our fellow human beings with adequate education and strengthening their emotional state.

• KevinSim Springville, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 6:15 p.m.

Ssev posted:

=My concern is that we need to be cognizant of the Savior's warning that, unless
    =we actually feed the hungry, clothe the naked, administer to the sick and
    =afflicted and provide education to the member of humankind, we will not be
    =found on the right hand of Christ at the last day.

• Lilly Munster , 00
    Nov. 5, 2017 1:05 p.m.

"Be ye kind, one to another, tenderhearted, loving one another, even as I have loved you." Bravo. Immediate, tenderhearted, life saving help for others in distress should be the future of LDS outreach. It solves so many of the misconceptions about us.
    It warms hearts, makes human connections and demonstrates our willingness to mix and mingle, contrary to our reputation and past practices of separation, isolation and a little bit of condescension.
    Think about it....this is much, much more effective to our message and mission than knocking on doors, which the vast majority of people find intrusive and offensive.
    Think about it....a much better and more loving way to "reach people."

• Dode Northern Utah, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 10:39 a.m.

I am so very proud of the LDS Church and others who helped alongside it. The monetary figures show a huge amount of goods being shipped let alone the many, many hours of service given.

Thank you also to those who have given so generously the last few months with higher contributions than normal. You will be blessed in return.......

• Engraver San Clemente, CA
    Nov. 5, 2017 10:22 a.m.

What if every citizen of the USA had done likewise; it would have changed the world more than setting off 10 nuclear warheads in strategic locations.

• ssev Maple Grove, MN
    Nov. 5, 2017 10:18 a.m.

"LDS Charities has provided nearly $2 billion in assistance to millions of people in 189 countries since 1985."

This amounts to about $70 million annually, over 30 years. How does this square with the annual tithes and offerings the Church receives annually?

My concern is that we need to be cognizant of the Savior's warning that, unless we actually feed the hungry, clothe the naked, administer to the sick and afflicted and provide education to the member of humankind, we will not be found on the right hand of Christ at the last day. (See Matthew 25.)

• emb Pleasant Grove, UT
    Nov. 4, 2017 3:59 a.m.

Hats off to all these generous people. emb