Letter: Kneeling for the flag disrespects our soldiers

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Nov. 5, 2017 8:54 a.m.

@LDS Liberal - Nov. 3, 2017 5:58 p.m.
    Speaking for myself as a veteran,
    Nothing disrespects me and what I sacrificed for more than NON-service people telling me how we feel.

--------------------

My husband feels exactly the same way you do. He was a Russian linguist and airborne intelligence intercept operator and analyst in the 1960s, in a now-declassified unit which flew approximately 2 miles off the Russian cost gathering military intelligence- his unit as declassified in 1997, which is we can talk about it in any way at all -- I was amazed then when he finally told me what his service entailed. They risked being shot down, killed or captured and tortured, every time they flew (several times a week). As he has asked me to post several times, he feels VERY honored when a football player takes a knee– because that represents the freedom of speech and expression that he risked so much to uphold. He says that, in fact, nothing honors his sacrifice more than the public exercise of the core Constitutional freedoms.

Quoting those to the protest denyiers, "There is no position that disrespects me, or dishonors my sacrifice, more than yours does."

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 5:58 p.m.

Speaking for myself as a veteran,

• Husker2 Walla Walla, WA
    Nov. 3, 2017 3:24 p.m.

Interesting how the narrative on this keeps changing. First, Kapernick was kneeling to protest police violence. Then, he was kneeling because Trump said something offensive. Then, he wasn't kneeling to protest but as a sign of respect. Which is it??

Kneeling is not respectful when it goes against what the US Flag Code says. This has nothing to do with marriage proposals or kneeling in prayer or kneeling out of respect for fallen soldiers. This is a protest against the American flag and the national anthem. It's a protest against freedom and unity. In other words, it goes against what veterans have fought and died for.

• Bobster , 00
    Nov. 3, 2017 2:50 p.m.

So I have always been taught that the proper thing to do when the flag is displayed and the national anthem is played is to stand at attention with one's right hand over the heart. I have never been taught that taking a knee during the anthem is some kind of alternative form of conduct.

I am all for the players or anyone else to protest whatever they feel inclined to protest. What I find a little disturbing is that they have chosen a venue that makes thousands if not millions captive to their protests. That is what I find disrespectful.

I love what the flag and our national anthem represent. In particular I find the third verse of the anthem particularly moving.

• Anti-Trump Everett, WA
    Nov. 3, 2017 2:11 p.m.

Letter: Kneeling for the flag disrespects our soldiers

=========

Sorry, but no it isn't.

An example of disrespecting our soldiers would be publically tweeting and arguing with their grieving Gold Start families...

...kneeling at a football game? hahaha

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 11:53 a.m.

On the other hand, could kneeling in protest actually be a Patriotic Tribute to our Flag and the Freedoms it guarantees?

I seem to remember something this letter's writer has forgotten.

Something very important to all of us.

Something important even to her, because it gave her the freedom to write this letter and have it published without punishment.

It's something called The First Amendment.

Make America Sane (and Safe) Again

• Kent C. DeForrest Provo, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 9:41 a.m.

So, let's look at this question through a different lens. Which is less patriotic, kneeling before the flag or selling the country to the Russians and the oligarchs?

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 8:17 a.m.

The idea that remaining seated during the performance of the national anthem, or taking a knee, is somehow a show of disrespect specifically towards those in uniform is just plain ludicrous. It’s an invention of those who deliberately sow division and strife in order to achieve power over us.

When I remain seated/silent during the performance of the anthem I do so while contemplating the racism and injustice that saturates our society right now.

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    Nov. 3, 2017 7:25 a.m.

Tyranny and despotism are sure to arrive when opinions like this are circulated regularly throughout the media.

Uber-patriotism is a cancer. Plain and simple. History is replete with examples. That is if you care to read any history.

And, after all, this really is an inane discussion.

• ECR Burke, VA
    Nov. 3, 2017 7:14 a.m.

So what is the flag and what does it represent? It is far more than a piece of cloth. And it is certainly not a symbol of blind obligation. The flag represents the spilled blood of patriots in the past and currently who stood up and fought for our rights, who proclaimed independence from a despotic monarch and claimed to rights of freedom we enjoy today.

These players and the others who support them are not defacing the flag. They are not burning it or tearing it apart. The certainly aren't turning it into a T-shirt or a necktie or a bikini bottom. They are respectfully using that moment of solitude, when we are not cheering wildly for our team, to make a statement about the current conditions in our country.

They are not lashing out at those in the audience - the vast majority - who are not kneeling. They are allowing them their right of free speech as well. Even some of their own team mates have chosen not to join in with their respectful protest. They are not speaking against them either.

The patriots past and present should be proud that some members of our society are reverently using the rights for which they sacrificed their lives.

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    Nov. 3, 2017 6:18 a.m.

The regularity of the letters on this subject is beginning to make me wonder. In whose interest is it to keep the divisiveness alive?

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 6:08 a.m.

Well Maggie, IMO, complaining about American citizens exercising their rights to protest injustice disrespects our soldiers even more than the protests; you see, you're fighting *against* what those soldiers fought for!

• SMcloud Sandy, UT
    Nov. 3, 2017 1:37 a.m.

Kneeling is not disrespectful. It is a form of peaceful protest, which is more important for democracy than the flag.

Black people are having a problem where as a group they are being treated differently by the police. How are they supposed to address this? If you had a black son, would you care about this issue? If there is injustice in this country, we should root it out and destroy it. The kneeling isn't about you and your feelings.

• my_two_cents_worth university place, WA
    Nov. 2, 2017 9:24 p.m.

Um, Maggie, I’m sitting in a military club watching the Jets and Buffalo, surounded by soldiers, the majority of them being Combat veterans, raucously cheering on their favorite team. If any of them feel disrespected they’re hiding it pretty well.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    Nov. 2, 2017 9:07 p.m.

Oh my word let it go.

This is one of the most meaningless things in the world right now.

It's the opinion of a bunch of athletes, fine who have a stage, fine..so what?

All the faux patriotism that acts as though this simple act turns history, and the value of America on it's head.

You do notice that it's always my grandfather, my brother, my father. I believe I'm yet to see "I".

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 2, 2017 8:19 p.m.

Maggie --
    "I" served in the United States Air Force.

"I" fought for the Constitution of the United States,
    the RIGHTS that are a guarantee to all it's citizens - not for a flag or a song,
    let alone for a so-called President or a particular Politcal Party.

I'm sorry you think service men and women are fighting for a flag or a man.

BTW - the Nazis indoctrinated their people to think that were fighting for a flag, the party, der fatherland, and Der Fuhrer -- while Japan was fighting for their Emperor.

As American's, we have always fought for Freedom -- those silly rights in that Constitution I was telling you about.
    BTW -- the rights Trump is constantly attacking as well.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Nov. 2, 2017 7:10 p.m.

The Nfl has two choices. Do not play the NA going forward or make players stand. The current state will not be in the best interest of the NFL due to the outrage of perceived patriotism or lack there of.

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    Nov. 2, 2017 6:33 p.m.

Maggie's argument is a tired one. Trump, possibly our weakest president ever, has co-opted the flag as a divisive political issue and Maggie has fully bought in.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Nov. 2, 2017 6:15 p.m.

As will be noted, there are also veterans and those in service that are fine with it. I think we have to explore whether kneeling, a highly touted action around here, is disrespectful to the flag, or whether being told you cannot kneel before it disrespects the hard won freedom it represents.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Nov. 2, 2017 5:55 p.m.

This is not the first time I have posted this comment -- my husband, who was a USAF Cold Warrior and regularly went deep in harm's way as part of a highly classified unit, asked me to post this whenever necessary. It's part of an article written by Benjamin Corey, who is also a highly decorated veteran. Hopefully you can learn something from it.

My husband says:
    I can speak for myself on this whole “taking a knee disrespects our vets,” because I’ve earned my right to speak.

And what I need those of you who claim taking a knee disrespects my sacrifice to hear, is this: Instead of disrespected, I feel my sacrifice deeply honored every single time I see a football player take a knee– because that represents the freedom of speech and expression that I gave so much of myself to uphold.

In fact, nothing honors my sacrifice more than the public exercise of these core freedoms.

You say you are offended when these players take a knee, and that they are disrespecting my sacrifice to the nation.

But the reality?

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 2, 2017 5:48 p.m.

Maggie needs a little perspective. When Colin Kaepernick first started his protest, he sat on the bench. US combat Green Beret vet, Nate Boyer, told Kaepernick that sitting was disrespectful. He told him that his brother-in arms would kneel for the anthem as a sign of respect for a fallen soldier. NFL players that kneel for the anthem are protesting in a respectful way, taught by a combat hero.