Yoeli Childs leads Blue squad in Cougar Tipoff victory

• top of the world ,
    Oct. 26, 2017 5:29 p.m.

ekute...I've come to expect more from some of the Y-haters. Guess I was just hopeful. Go Cougs, in all sports.

• burningblue Provo, UT
    Oct. 26, 2017 5:08 p.m.

@ballpark

That was my expectation for this team all along. Did you not watch them play last season? They could over perform and make the NCAA, but that certainly is not the expectation I have for them. I just want them to start competing.

• burningblue Provo, UT
    Oct. 26, 2017 5:04 p.m.

@ekute

Sitake isn't going anywhere. Need I remind you that Whittingham himself gave Sitake a ringing endorsement. The problem isn't Sitake. I don't know what it is, but it isn't Sitake. I think this coaching staff is young and they'll take their lumps and learn from them.

I don't know what to think about Detmer. If anyone leaves, it should be him. I wish he was more successful, but his recent comments make it sound like he doesn't know how to coach at this level. But this is BYU and they don't make coaching decisions quickly. I'm not sure anything is going to change in the coaching staff next season. But we'll see.

• Voodohound-WIS Waukesha, WI
    Oct. 26, 2017 1:29 p.m.

Ballpark,

You rip on Worthington and then say "keep recruiting in utah and keep getting the same results". You did know that he's from Wisconsin, right? In fact less than half the team is from Utah.

Good or bad, I'll cheer for the Cougars.

• CaliCougar American Fork, UT
    Oct. 26, 2017 11:22 a.m.

ballpark,

You're wrong about Worthington, probably basing your opinion on what you saw from him as a freshman and sophomore. When I watched him in the warm ups, I hardly recognized him. He is leaner and very fit, particularly for recently coming off a mission. He was active and aggressive on both ends of the floor, and stayed out of foul trouble. He's not a world beater by any stretch of the imagination but, based on his performance in this scrimmage, he will be a guy that gives the team productive minutes this year.

• TrueBlue Provo, UT
    Oct. 26, 2017 10:48 a.m.

ekute

"It will be interesting to see if Sitake shows up at the basketball games and what the fan reaction will be...that is...if he's still around."

Sitake will still be around, will still show up at basketball games, and will get a warm response from BYU fans...

much to the chagrin of the haters on the hill who are desperate to see BYU make a coaching change or perhaps, abandon their football program entirely, after one losing season.

• ballpark ,
    Oct. 26, 2017 10:40 a.m.

reading the article i was feeling good about the team until i read that worthington scored 16 points. if that is the case, then this team is going to struggle. he shouldn't be scoring 16 on anyone. as predicted by the wcc coaches, another 3rd place wcc finish and an NIT bid if they are lucky. keep recruiting in utah and keep getting the same results. i quote majerus when he was asked about recruiting the "michael jordan" of china....he said..."in a blind country the one eyed man is king".

• Pugman Tremonton, UT
    Oct. 26, 2017 9:26 a.m.

@ekute
    It will be interesting to see if the Utes show up in Oregon this week and can compete with a bad football team.

• Max-was-right Mapleton, UT
    Oct. 26, 2017 8:23 a.m.

4 comments and 2 from the u fans. After losing 4 in a row you’d think they would be more worried about the little red engine that could.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 26, 2017 8:03 a.m.

It will be interesting to see if sitake shows up at the basketball games and what the fan reaction will be...that is...if he's still around.

• CaliCougar American Fork, UT
    Oct. 25, 2017 11:05 p.m.

Rockyrd - Gilbert, AZ,

I agree. I attended the scrimmage and came away feeling better about the team's prospects this year. I think it will be a decent year. I expected Childs, Haws, Emery and Bryant to perform well so no surprises there. I was most impressed by Worthington and Nixon. For recently returning missionaries they looked very good. I thought Worthington performed better than Dastrup overall.

The defensive intensity was evident, which is encouraging. Hardnett looked pretty solid playing the 1 and Brown looks like he will contribute too. Ball movement was good on offense and the shot selections were under control.

Overall a good scrimmage.

• Rockyrd Gilbert, AZ
    Oct. 25, 2017 10:49 p.m.

The team looked good tonight. How good they are will remain to be seen. There will be complaints about how small they are, but with Worthington and Nixon looking good, they will have some options. I like most of the new players.

Last year, there were complaints that Coach Rose couldn't change his coaching style, couldn't recruit and couldn't win the big games. The flow of the game tonight was different and very encouraging. Rose recruited Childs and a number of other fine players on this roster. He's also won over 300 games as a coach. The team also defeated the number one team in the nation on their home floor last season. Percentage-wise, he is the winningest basketball coach in BYU history. That is a level of excellence. Keep up the great work Coach Rose!

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    Oct. 25, 2017 10:29 p.m.

This is a good idea for the football team. Next year they could schedule 6 of these...and become bowl eligible.