Letter: A magical moment with the national anthem

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Nov. 1, 2017 11:50 a.m.

I've posted this before on my husband's behalf ( he went in harm's way as a USAF airborne Cold Warrior (airborne intelligence intercept operator/analyst), putting his life deep in peril every time. Since I have the account here, he asked me to say this to those who decry the "take a knee" protests (quoting Benjamin Corey, also a veteran):

I can speak for myself on this whole “taking a knee disrespects our vets,” because I’ve earned my right to speak.

Here is what I’d like to tell all of you who make the "disrespect" argument on “my behalf.”

I feel my sacrifice deeply honored every single time I see a football player take a knee– because that represents the freedom of speech and expression that I gave so much of myself to uphold.

In fact, nothing honors my sacrifice more than the public exercise of these core freedoms.

What I’d also like you to know is that it is actually your position that disrespects what I have given for this nation.

You say you are offended when these players take a knee, and that they are disrespecting my sacrifice to the nation.

But the reality?

There is no position that disrespects me, or dishonors my sacrifice, more than yours does.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Oct. 27, 2017 1:17 p.m.

Please note the snide anti-American comments already posted by the usual characters that hate America. Mr. Warren did you note, your denigration of Utah County included the author of the letter, a veteran of military service.

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 26, 2017 4:29 p.m.

Perhaps in Utah County the diligence shown by residents in standing smartly at attention for the anthem and flag, with hands over hearts, is their way of compensating for the low proportion of residents in the area who have served in branches of the U.S. military.

• Thimk Preston, ID
    Oct. 26, 2017 1:31 p.m.

Our president is a staunch supporter of the flag and the national anthem. But he is a very poor example of the values it represents. Much like a cross on a necklace or a CTR ring, it is the conduct that is meaningful, not the symbolic representation of it.

• Husker2 Walla Walla, WA
    Oct. 26, 2017 10:58 a.m.

@Thomas Jefferson "It is sad that so many think that a song and a piece of cloth are worth more than the ideas they represent but that is what todays identity politics have become."

Are you saying it's sad that so many people felt inspired to pay proper respect to the flag??

The US Flag Code says, "The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing". So, some people feel it is more than just cloth and ideas. It's sad some people don't know what the Flag Code says.

• Thomas Jefferson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 26, 2017 10:06 a.m.

It is sad that so many think that a song and a piece of cloth are worth more than the ideas they represent but that is what todays identity politics have become. Nationalism and xenophobia passed off as pretend patriotism.

• Husker2 Walla Walla, WA
    Oct. 26, 2017 9:26 a.m.

Great letter, Jan. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I saw a similar experience at a high school football game last Wednesday night. Three young ladies were singing the national anthem when the sound system failed halfway into the song. The entire crowd on both sides of the stadium picked up the lyrics and started singing even louder in place of the young ladies. It was very heartwarming and inspiring.

It's great to see people who respect the flag and national anthem enough to pay the appropriate tribute, even when its inconvenient or unexpected.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    Oct. 26, 2017 9:03 a.m.

"It would seem that the "kneeling" athlete or the professional teams could share their money and influence by joining with local law enforcement community initiatives or by helping develop youth or school programs to challenge the problems rather than kneel during the anthem. "

As Karen said, they do. In fact the league promotes community involvement with sponsored special projects, and even public recognition.

That's what most libs on this thread are here for to battle the uniformed ideology of the right. No one thinks we're going to change any minds, but we can inform the dialogue.

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    Oct. 26, 2017 6:45 a.m.

"It would seem that the 'kneeling' athlete or the professional teams could share their money and influence by joining with local law enforcement community initiatives or by helping develop youth or school programs to challenge the problems rather than kneel during the anthem."

Ms. Felix: If you had first researched whether this is taking place and learned that it isn't, then you'd be in a position to pass judgment. But I know that you didn't because I know that it IS taking place. For examples, Google "The memo 4 players sent NFL commissioner Roger Goodell," published Sept. 20, 2017 on Yahoo Sports.

How great would it be if all LTE writers who have made this mistake would also write follow-up letters acknowledging their error and applauding/supporting the players for their efforts to live their values.