This is how faith keeps some families from embracing Halloween

• Utah_Trail Canada, 00
    Oct. 26, 2017 9:10 p.m.

Another Halloween memory from my childhood is the tradition of bobbing for apples on that night. There were two ways to do this. One was to put the apple on a string and let it dangle from the ceiling. The trick was to try to take a bite as the apple swung. If a person tried to take a bite by pushing the apple into a door or some other object, this meant elimination. The second and probably the best-known tradition was to bob for the apple in a tub of water. Am I generating some memories here?

• Utah_Trail Canada, 00
    Oct. 26, 2017 8:23 p.m.

My best memories of Halloween center around school. As junior students we would be treated to a bus trip on that afternoon. The highlight when I was in Grade III was the evening concert. Directed by our supervisor, several of us sang two songs and many people said we stole the show. On another Halloween one of the students dressed up as a police officer. During the festivities he entered the gym and the superintendent greeted him by saying: "Good evening, officer!" At that point he removed his mask and this resulted in a goodly number of laughs.

• bassoonlady OREM, UT
    Oct. 26, 2017 2:04 p.m.

Great article. Personally,i love dressing up, but I hate the scary stuff. To each their own, but I find it kind of weird that we "celebrate" what on every other day we would avoid, and use it as an excuse to dress up as things we would never do. It's one thing to dress up as a princess or a doctor, it's another to dress up as a mass murderer. I've never quite understood why we keep up with that part of the holiday. But like I said, to each their own.
    I do, however, love the community aspect. When else do you interact so much with your neighbors?

• 13Bpatriot SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 26, 2017 11:55 a.m.

If I'm not mistaken, Christmas has roots in paganism...
    A fat old man riding around on magical reindeer at night in December. Just change that to a woman flying on a magical broomstick in October.
    Halloween is what you make it out to be. If you think it invites evil spirits into your life then maybe it's because of having fun, you think evil spirits are coming into your life.
    I'm a very active and devout Mormon and I love Halloween. I know some members who won't even tell ghost stories, at any time of the year, because they think it invites evil spirits.
    I disagree but to each their own. Let me have my fun on Halloween, you can do other stuff and we won't judge each other (in public at least).

• Sketch Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 26, 2017 10:45 a.m.

Halloween origins aside, my issues with the holiday deal are mostly money, diet, and perhaps anxiety. As seniors, on a limited budget, my spouse and I are hard pressed by the almost mandatory outlay of funds to hand out sweets at the door. Since homemade goodies get tossed to the dogs, or in the gutter (Oh no, they might be poisoned!), the only treats kids will accept are high priced candies, which we end up throwing out because we don't eat them. Then there's the reality that the begged 'goodies' kids glut on for days afterward are just plain 'baddies' - ask the doctors and dentists. Then there's the anxiety. We've lived in 9 states in our almost 50 years of marriage, and we've seen some pretty mean behavior from Halloween celebrants like damaged property and cars, as well as children and adults terrorized and injured - not kidding. We've been toilet papered and egg bombed and had a couple of windows broken when we chose to not hand out sweets. Sure, there's a lot of fun, but not for everyone. Originally, it was about mischief, and appeasing evil spirits. Not a lot has changed. Just the hours. Kids come to be appeased almost all day now. And mischief knows no hours.

• JdTNvUTxred33317 Cedar City, UT
    Oct. 26, 2017 5:50 a.m.

I lived in New Jersey and there's a thing called mischief night over there on the night before Halloween and it has become a huge celebration for the day. Pretty much people steal, graffiti, and do whatever they want. I agree with a lot of the article. That is where I think Halloween is headed. I'm fine if kids want to dress up, but I don't care for the demonic stuff. If you let your kids dress up like something devilish it no longer becomes something in good fun to me.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 25, 2017 2:26 p.m.

I encountered a "real" haunted house and "real" demonic possession while on my mission in Ohio.

I've never been that much into Halloween since. But hey, let the kids have fun.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    Oct. 25, 2017 1:52 p.m.

I am terribly disappointed by many of the comments here. They show a decidedly immature lack of confidence in one's own choices.

My family really enjoys Halloween. We also enjoy Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Independence Day, Pioneer Day, etc. I also observe the Sabbath on Sunday even to the exclusion of engaging in secular celebrations that might otherwise fall on that day.

We have dear friends who don't observe some or all of these holidays due to religious or personal beliefs. Some of they worship on Saturday. Some are much more strict about Sabbath observance than I am; others are less strict. Some drink, some don't eat pork.

My life has been enriched by my association and friendships with these good people. We enjoy mutual respect. They don't tell me I'm going to hell for dressing up and passing out candy, I don't mock or ridicule them as being needlessly uptight.

Respect is almost a meaningless word among homogenous groups who agree with each other. Respect and tolerance are exercised really only when confronted with differences. We should learn from and appreciate each others' beliefs even where we disagree.

• VIDAR Murray, UT
    Oct. 25, 2017 1:28 p.m.

Halloween is so much fun that some of us like to get dressed up as characters several times a year: comic-cons, fantasy-cons, horror-con, and renaissance festivals ect.

• Swan Ronson St. Louis, MO
    Oct. 25, 2017 11:19 a.m.

See, this is the kind of pearl-clutching, churlish nonsense that continues to make me more and more hostile towards the religious fringe. I don't care what the roots of the holiday were. I don't care about ancient pagan this or that. Bottom line . . kids tend to like spooky stuff and get a benign thrill out of it. And, yes . . it's harmless fun, full stop.

Maybe I just trust myself and my kids enough to be able to differentiate between fantasy and reality. Apparently the more religious you are, the less you're able or willing to do this . . and that's telling. If you see a skeleton or a zombie and are thinking it has anything to do with reality, you're not someone I'm going to be able to have much of a conversation with.

Why? I just won't respect you. I can't. If I told you I literally believed in the Easter Bunny, you wouldn't respect me. You might pretend to, but you would think I had a screw loose. That's how I feel about people that take Halloween-style "evil" seriously. Just stop it. You've "grown up" wayyyyy too much for your own good.

• Klaus2012 Rexburg, ID
    Oct. 25, 2017 10:43 a.m.

Nothing like Christopher Lee in a great Dracula movie on Halloween.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Oct. 25, 2017 10:10 a.m.

I get to 'celebrate' halloween on Sunday the 31st. Faith keeps some from embracing it.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Oct. 25, 2017 9:59 a.m.

As a kid, Halloween was second only to Christmas as my favorite holiday. Even now, I let myself enjoy an inviting piece of Halloween candy. Halloween has an interesting history that I won't take with distressing seriousness. It's still fun.

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 25, 2017 9:46 a.m.

Halloween may have had roots in pagan rituals, but that is a thing of the past. Christmas did not begin as a celebration of Jesus' birth either. Halloween is and has been for my entire life, a fun "holiday" for children, where they can dress up like some monster or other and go around the neighborhood begging for candy from all their neighbors & friends. Any religion that would interfere with children having 1 day a year to have some good, clean, fun, is a religion I would want no part of. Some religion's only purpose is to prevent people from enjoying the small things in life that make it worth living. Thanks, but no thanks.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Oct. 25, 2017 8:56 a.m.

There are some traditions around the edges of Halloween (like spook alleys and horror movies) that I, personally, don't enjoy very much. Heck, there are some traditions around Christmas, Easter, Labor Day and the 4th of July that I don't enjoy as much as other people do. But, if there is nothing inherently evil or harmful about such traditions, I can simply choose not to participate, and politely and courteously smile when I interact with other who enjoy such things. I view that as being "social," or being part of a society that is not inherently evil in those traditions and practices.

I respect the right of people to speak out against practices or traditions that were at one time rooted in evil or paganism. But, speaking out is all they can or should be allowed to do, as long as they experience no harm (other than so-called mental anguish) by seeing such traditions honored by others in their communities.

• Dmorgan Herriman, UT
    Oct. 25, 2017 8:43 a.m.

It seems that some religious people like to cherry-pick which holidays with pagan roots they will celebrate (Christmas and Easter) and which ones they won't. I guess it's consistent with the Biblical or Quran verses they abide by, and the ones they don't.

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 25, 2017 8:24 a.m.

I have no problem with dressing up and collecting candy, as has been mentioned in the comments it is far distanced from pagan rituals. However, the fact that we celebrate evil on this holiday continues to mystify me. Things like spook alleys drive away anything good; there are better ways to get an adrenaline rush.

• Cutedog Rupert, ID
    Oct. 25, 2017 7:49 a.m.

Halloween has come to mean something quite different than a pagan celebration. We are not celebrating paganism.

It is now just a fun night for kids to dress in costumes, go to neighborhood houses and receive candy. It is fun for kids and the parents handing out candy, while telling their little neighbors how cute they are.

It is now just a fun family tradition. The only ones putting a pagan connotation to it are the ones not celebrating it, and telling their children it's a pagan ritual.

• Thomas Thompson Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 25, 2017 7:19 a.m.

I am simply mystified at some of the attitudes expressed by the people interviewed for this article. How can people really believe that the whole idea of Halloween is to "desensitize our children to think that evil is fun?" Pretending to be a witch or a goblin or a ghost has nothing to do with embracing evil. It is, as 59 percent of the survey respondents insist, simply all in good fun. Indeed, the naysayers do all of us a disservice because they themselves have invested Halloween with the evils that they have simply made up in their own minds. Sorry, naysayers, Halloween is not in any sense about the validation of evil -- it's about the collection of vast stores of candy. That, I think, might be its own form of evil, but it's a relatively minor one in the grand scheme of things.

• Br. Jones East Coast, MD
    Oct. 25, 2017 6:55 a.m.

Indeed, Halloween has some roots in pagan traditions, and some Christians justifiably avoid it. I have some terrible news for them about the origins of the Christmas holiday, though--it also has its origins in pagan practices. Do these same folks avoid traditional Christmas celebrations?