ECU hands BYU 7th consecutive loss, 33-17

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 24, 2017 12:45 p.m.

BlueHusky - Mission Viejo, CA
    “Only consolation is that Arizona State hung 30 on Utah. ASU shut out UW last week. They're the team to beat now.”
    I’m unclear how this is a consolation? Does this make BYU better? You seem like a Utah heater not a BYU fan.

• TNT Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 23, 2017 5:10 p.m.

This is what happens when you hire friends. Why was LaVell so successful? He hired the best assistant coaches; Doug Scovill, Mike Holmgren, Norm Chow, Brian Billick. None of those guys were Happy Valley home-boys. This season is Exhibit A for the Peter Principle. People are promoted until they reach their level of incompetence. Kalani hired his friends, and this is what you get.

• All teams Utah Pleasant Grove, UT
    Oct. 23, 2017 2:40 p.m.

Bummer for the Ute's. Catastrophe for the Cougs. Maybe Hill should have been more appreciated and not call for Mangum. Williams took a lot of pressure off of the QB. Hill made big plays out of nothing at the same time. I've had doubts about Mangum from the beginning. He had better athletes, running back, receivers, as well as a better defense behind him as a freshman. He doesn't seem to have good field vision and keeps his eyes upfield. He struggled with sustained longer drives and often left the pocket to role right and hope for the best. A couple extremely lucky hail mary's gave him more credit than what was happening. I agree with some others to look toward next year and give more underclassmen time, especially Critchlow.

• Minnesota Ute Bloomington, MN
    Oct. 23, 2017 1:16 p.m.

Ouch. That might leave a mark. This is fun.

• ConradGurch Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 23, 2017 12:38 p.m.

If you think Detmer needs to be fired CHECK YOURSELF! You don't understand football!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 23, 2017 12:10 p.m.

I'm going to go a different direction and say there's a lot of blame on Tom Holmoe. I've heard a lot of negative things about him from people who know. And now with the basketball team tanking, and the football program tanking, at what point do you say it's time for an overhaul in the athletic department all together. Holmoe has not done a great job bringing in the best coaches or creating a competitive atmosphere (hint: just ask Niumatalolo).

As for football coaches going, it needs to happen...yesterday. I love Ty and always will...one of the fiercest competitors I've ever seen. But it's obvious he's in over his head in today's CFB landscape. He doesn't know how to adjust to what a defense is doing and the entire offense looks lost at times. He should have been hired as the QB coach, not the OC. And why didn't we look more at Lance Anderson with Stanford for the DC job or even HC. He recruits well, and his defenses are always nasty. Bring him in and Gary Anderson...Tuiaki isn't cutting it either. Heads have to roll, there's no question. If they don't, I'll question Holmoe even more.

• ConradGurch Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 23, 2017 11:02 a.m.

Remember when BYU basketball had a horrible season ( after Roger Reid) You could hear a pin drop in the Marriott Center. Keep coming out fans and support your team!

• BleedingBlue Provo, UT
    Oct. 23, 2017 10:58 a.m.

Time to look to the future. Time to let someone else to play. I hear there is a national champion team on the field at every game. Coach Detmer you should consider suiting up the cougaretts. Couldn’t do any worse and they would be much more entertaining. But for real, he should consider playing next year’s players, giving them valuable game experience and playing time.

• Shoe Auburn, King, WA
    Oct. 22, 2017 8:55 p.m.

I don't think that BYU will lose the loyalty of their fan base but they will lose their fervor and trust to believe the fairy tales given to them every year by the coaches during the post-season that
    we are to expect a stellar season of successful BYU football. I don't think we are lied to we are just not told the truth. I guess I did just say we have been lied to. There, I said it when I really didn't want to.

• 7 in a row! Ogden, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 7:14 p.m.

Portland State (0-7) is BYU’s only win. If they can’t manage another win they will go down as the worst team other than 1949 and 1922.

They probably don’t have a chance against Fresno St or Hawaii. Going to be difficult to beat San Jose St, UMass and UNLV.

• FT1/SS Virginia Beach, VA
    Oct. 22, 2017 5:22 p.m.

Countdown to Arizona (yikes), three hundred...................fourteen days!

I was at an employer picnic yesterday and had a chat with a manager's son who played O-line at ECU graduating last year. We chatted about the game and how miserable our teams were doing. He was expecting his team to get blown out. I told him nothing to worry about, your team will win by a squeaker. We were both wrong.

• softbear Olympia, WA
    Oct. 22, 2017 4:43 p.m.

Something that no one has addressed, respect for coaches! I got in on an interview late so I can't say who he was but the player kept calling Detmer, Ky and Sitaki, Kalani. Where is the respect you owe the coach. Can't imagine Nick at Alabama or Urban at Ohio State or Bill In Boston or even Kyle at the U allowing that. It's COACH!!! These are employees not just friends and should show the coaches that respect. They would never call a professor by first name. I'm sure some are going to say "this guy is crazy " but if you ever played sports you know what I'm saying. It's about respecting your coach, hard to win if you don't.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Oct. 22, 2017 4:37 p.m.

panamadesnews - Lindon, UT

Said:

"If the Cougars ever get another chance to join the AAC, I think they ought to take it, even if they have to sacrifice the TV option. There is only one game being televised live this year, anyway. So I do not feel that is a hindrance.

Being a member of the AAC will give the Cougars an in for signing some east and southeast players. They need something different than they now have. That would put them in the same league as Navy and some pretty good other talented teams.

I do not think they will ever get an invite to a P-5 conference, period!"

It does not matter what conference they try and join. It won't change the makeup of players, LDS or not.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 4:25 p.m.

Bluto:

I'm not sure why Sitake should be as safe as any other player or coach on the staff. But lest we panic. I think some of the coaches such as Detmer are over their head. I was uncomfortable with him being named OC when he had no experience in the position. Being a back-up NFL QB wearing headphones or an OC at a small Texas HS is not the same thing, not sure why fans thought it would turn out that way. But there is a coach on staff that has previous OC experience. I think changing roles and responsibilities even in midseason is something to be considered. As was stated by a previous poster, Mendenhall fired his defensive coordinator and took over the defensive play calling and the results improved. That's a tough call but it can be done. Perhaps in time Detmer will evolve into this role as I think he has a great mind and certainly a lot to share with the QB's but he needs to be a position coach for right now.

Also, assistant coaches don't have to be LDS. Guy Holliday was the WR coach for several years (now coaching at Utah) and was LDS. BYU has to be willing to consider non-LDS coaches (and players) to realistically compete.

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 3:21 p.m.

I'm not going to pile on the Coug's challenges after watching my Utes look totally flat from the first snap to the end of the game.

Serious question for Cougar fans: Was Detmer hired by Sitake or was the Detmer hiring forced by Holmoe? Detmer was an amazing college player but coaching is a different skill set and one that takes years to be ready for D1. It's going to be rough to fire a legend but I don't see Detmer's offense improving nor do I think he can recruit the athletes to succeed with a pro style offense.

Rough year for Cougs and Utes.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 2:52 p.m.

“Independence is not sustainable”.
    Bronco Mendenhall.
    He told everyone as such. Outside of some loyal LDS athletes why should any talented high school kid commit to play here?

• owesley Mapleton, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 2:10 p.m.

I have vigorously defended Coachs Sitake and Detmer. Not sure how vigorous that defense is today. But, no matter what else is said about those two, etal, this is a reality one can not deny. Coaches coach. Players play. Dropped passes. Running backs running into own team mates. QB's throwing the rock into the turf yards out of reach. DLineman not picking up blitzes, OLineman missing blocks, special team players running the rock out from 6 yards deep to pick up 15. I mean, come on. Let's get off the coaches backs. This is a team game. 11 at a time.

• Larry M. Arnoldsen Orem, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 1:58 p.m.

I remember Lavell Edwards say in Jan. 1984, "We are going to have a losing season sometime. I just hope I'm not the coach when it happens." He had been asked too explain why BYU football was doing so well. He said he didn't know, but he knew it wasn't because of him.

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 1:37 p.m.

If Detmer ever had an original football thought, it would die of loneliness...

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 12:50 p.m.

I do not think they will ever get an invite to a P-5 conference, period!

• Silver Stingray St George, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 11:59 a.m.

BYU needs to change their mascot from Cougars to Stink Bugs.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 11:54 a.m.

@ 7 in a row..
    NOBODY left on the Cougs schedule is a cupcake.
    They'd have trouble beating Moab High.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Oct. 22, 2017 11:48 a.m.

NeilT. - In answer to your question, What happened? I suggest the following.
    1)Overly high and very unrealistic expectations on the part of fans, and I think, the AD.
    2) Inability to attract talent to maintain prior level of play due to independence.
    3) An overly inexperienced coaching staff - excepting Lamb.
    4)Unrealistic performance expectations on the part of nearly every player on the team.
    5)Extreme disappointment on the part of everyone involved when realism sets in - from the first game on to the present.

If you wish to reduce the answer to the question to one word, the word is "hubris".

• KimmyP Grantsville, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 11:14 a.m.

It is so funny to see most of the regular byu faithful come on and expose themselves as Big Brother haters, rather than cougar fans.

It's so humorous to see their comments about "we have the worst team in college football", but it's ok because our idol lost, too. 😂

• Pagosa Kid SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 10:53 a.m.

About half way thtough the game last night, I realized someone’s got to go. Yes I understand many cougar fans have come to this conclusion long ago but not me. I’m not saying it has to happen now but at the end of the season I think both Detmer and the D Coordinator whatever his name is both need to go. I have been amazed in reading many of the readers comments that the focus is on Detmer but seriously the defense is as pathetic as the offense. If in a company if you had departmental directors that continued to make poor decisions and lose business, what do you think would happen? Even during the Bronco years after the Utah St game a number of years ago, he let the D coordinator go and he took over the defense. Good leaders make hard decisions. This may be something Kalani has already decided and he’s playing out the schedule, who knows but for me the writing in on the wall.

Thing is, I’m not angry anymore. I can’t even make cutting or critical comments about the team, coaches or players anymore. I know they are circling the drain and it’s sad to see a once proud program look like this.

Kalani, do what needs to be done. Step up and be the leader we think you are.

• No Conference Will Take Us SEATTLE, WA
    Oct. 22, 2017 10:33 a.m.

CougarForever - Holladay, Utah
    Oct. 22, 2017 1:19 a.m.
    I am absolutely stunned by this loss. Disappointing and humiliating beyond words.

A bowl game may be possible if we win our remaining games and go 6-7 but that won't happen. While we may beat SJSU, UNLV, UMass and Hawaii, we are going to be demolished by Fresno State in two weeks. 5-8 at best and no bowl. Very sad.

>>>>>

We have already been written off making a bowl game, even if we win the rest of our games. There will be enough schools this year with a winning record that our slot will be taken.

• Boston Fan Milton, MA
    Oct. 22, 2017 10:22 a.m.

Why does Detmer have a gigantic play sheet when he only calls possibly 5 different plays the entire game? That's a crack up.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Oct. 22, 2017 10:20 a.m.

7 in a row! - Ogden, UT
    said:

"This is no longer the worst BYU team since the 60’s. You have to go back further.

I wonder how San Jose State (1-7), UMASS (1-6) and UNLV (2-5) will treat the Cougars. Still a lot of cupcakes left on the schedule."

Considering SJSU has an all time winning record against BYU.
    And UMASS won 55-20 yesterday.....
    Not looking good.

• golfwt Boise, ID
    Oct. 22, 2017 10:16 a.m.

Don't and can't watch the games anymore. Mangum was at least a 4 star maybe 5 star out of high school, great freshman year, had to sit out his Soph year after mission, and whatever has happened to him no confidence. Does anyone not think he would have been a star had he gone to Boise St instead of BYU. Sitake seems unable to motivate this team, Detmer's play calling just terrible. I will go back to what I said several years ago, Holmoe has ruined BYU football by the arrogant move to independence. Tough to motivate a team after playing their early season schedule. My suggestion would be first to go is Holmoe, getting rid of the entire coaching staff not likely, who based on BYU qualifications is going to replace them? Regardless of the quality players on a team to some extent the success of a team depends on how well the coaching staff does with motivating the team to win...enough said. Well at least if the next game is on ESPN 3, won't have to watch it.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 22, 2017 9:59 a.m.

Utah and BYU football is in shambles. I think the real pillow fight took place when these two played each other. Just a sad state of affairs!

• Oh Really? HERRIMAN, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 9:39 a.m.

Not many people get the chance to put two football programs on life support. Tom Holmoe is alone in that distinction.

• utahcoyote Saint George, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 9:29 a.m.

between the utah and byu games, this may be one of ugliest weeks of football involving state of utah college teams~~ever~~.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 9:24 a.m.

As much as BYU fans including myself like Detmer, he has to go. I sat there with my son and we could accurately predict the O plays about 90% of the time, including the inside screen play on 4th and goal. The receivers run sloppy routes and have hands of cement. Magnum has no ability too check off receivers and is myopic in his passing game. The O line looks sluggish. The D is not much better. The entire team is undisciplined and unfocused. Time for happy guy Sitaki to get serious. All we heard pre-season was how happy and fun loving everyone was. Well BYU coaches, it's not fun watching a once proud program become the laughing stock of college football. I put this on Holmoe. He's better make some changes and soon or maybe a new AD is needed.

• 7 in a row! Ogden, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 9:16 a.m.

• What To Do Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 9:03 a.m.

Just think one more loss and the mighty cougars will have won another national championship! That of the worst team in the nation. Go Cougars!

Seriously this is not a result of the players it belongs squarely on the AD and the Coaches. They complete overlooked at 1-6 team thinking that they were better because they played power conference teams and so of course BYU was just better than someone who has a 1-6 record. News Flash - BYU is a 1-7 team. It has been a consistent slide from a very good team to the worst team in the nation all because the brains in the AD office had to walk away from the MWC when Utah was invited to the PAC12. BYU needs to fire the AD, and beg the MWC to come back. Yes tuck your little cougar tail between your legs, admit that you were wrong and return. Sounds like the producial son - Maybe they will welcome you back with open arms. Then focus on playing an entire season at a specific level. It will be hard at first but over time the program can return and BYU can once again enjoy the game of football.

I think at this point a 1-11 season is quite possible! Go BYU the bottom is calling.

• intrinsicrewards Salem, VA
    Oct. 22, 2017 8:59 a.m.

If Detmer got "angry" at the players last week and that didn't work obviously, what is he going to do this week? Sitake can go down with the sinking ship or he can make BIG changes now and try to salvage the boat. Send some people packing and put some on the bench. It's panic time, not just for this year but for years to come....

• AggieGradCougarDad SPRINGBORO, OH
    Oct. 22, 2017 8:56 a.m.

I guess it is good that the Aggies won yesterday to prevent an 0 for October for the big 3 Utah Universities.

• DonO Draper, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 8:46 a.m.

BYU's football program is in a death spiral from which it can't recover. I believe it is only a matter of time before the owners pull the plug and do away with it. Independence was the beginning of the end. They can't recruit good D-1 players so they can't win, and because they can't win they can't recruit. Getting back into a mid-level conference may help but that would probably be too little, too late.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Oct. 22, 2017 8:18 a.m.

Tough game to watch...... both coaches needed a win desperately. I know the head coach of ECU from his days at Duke. Wish him the best. I am a former BYU student... have season tickets.... want the best for them too. One team was going to come away 1-7.

BYU even against another team seeking to find it's identity actually did worse than they did against good teams. Hard to understand what is going on. Perhaps the team has lost it's heart and will to play. Maybe it is confusing schemes. Maybe chemistry. I don't know.

But to hear fans long for the days of Bronco, who has had his share of success at Virginia, you have to wonder what is going on. The good news.... the rest of the schedule looks friendly. Perhaps a humbled BYU will now seek to return to the MWC. P5 membership is a long since dream whose times has passed.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 8:03 a.m.

@bluehusky...injuries are not it.
    The injured players are just as bad as the healthy ones.

• Lone Eagle Aurora, CO
    Oct. 22, 2017 7:59 a.m.

From the article: “I’m not really worried about yards. I want points,” said coach Kalani Sitake. “We need more production on the scoreboard. That’s how you win games. It’s not about how many yards you get. It’s about finishing drives in the end zone.”

How can this offense get into the end zone more frequently?

“That’s the million dollar question right now,” Sitake said. “It’s my job to figure it out."

OK.

Mr. Sitake: Figure it out and get that team doing better than it has this year.

• muncho6 salt lake city, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 7:59 a.m.

Adversity builds character. It’s not all about winning. It’s about performing your best. If the cougars are playing the best that they can then we should be more supportive.
    If your child’s little league team was losing a lot of games would you demand s coach change? I don’t think so. It’s just a game. Chill out you cougar fans. It’s not the end of the world.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Oct. 22, 2017 7:58 a.m.

There is no blaming the refs. Every team has injuries. Don't relish in "Other" teams losses to cover your own.
    Football in the team level is culture. A culture of learning the game (which has NOT passed them by as an earlier poster mentioned) an being the best you can be on the field. No finger pointing , no griping, but a team effort. Where does this come from??? Coaching. Period. The tradition exists in Provo to bring in and support a viable team every year. It's obvious that if going 1-12 this year is not acceptable to administration that they've made a mistake. I would suggest that you not be surprised to see the entire staff removed before the end of December.

• BJMoose Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 7:55 a.m.

All this fire this person, fire that person talk is nuts. While changes probably do need to be made, during the season it not the time for them. Who are you going to hire with football season going full throttle? The pool of those available right now is mighty thin and probably not of the highest quality. Compound that with the apparent requirement of membership in your church and it shrinks significantly. After the season is the time for this process to occur. And it should start at the top with Holmoe.
    I do agree with some posters asking that other players be allowed to compete. I say throw it wide open and evaluate everyone on the team. Use the remaining games to decide who has a future with the team and who doesn't. The season is a total loss. Use the remaining games for some benefit.

• Danite Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 7:54 a.m.

For all of the Mangum and Detmer haters can I just say, I think the problem may be deeper than that.

The problem I see is with BYU football culture. What is it? Kalani is the anti–Bronco and I think that's great personality wise because I couldn't stand Bronco in that way. But football culture wise, Bronco was never going to lose 7 straight no matter the circumstances. Kalani is likable, seems like a great guy, but it also seems like the ship is going down and he doesn't have a clue how to stop it. Is it Ty's fault, maybe. Is Mangum good, maybe not. But to think it's just on them is nuts. This team has no identity and that's on Kalani. They have no answers to many questions and that's on Kalani. This is not a tough team (you don't lose to ECU if you're mentally tough). This is a team that has folded, and that's on Kalani.

• BigE Ammon, ID
    Oct. 22, 2017 7:45 a.m.

A QB with decent skills but awful decision making, no defensive pressure on the opposing QB, a kicker who can't make anything over 40 yds, and play calling on both sides of the ball that are questionable at best. Time for a paper bag over the head while in public.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 7:42 a.m.

Hitting Rock Bottom is not always a bad ting.

After the season, there needs to be a top to bottom evaluation of the program.
    The only one in this mess who should be safe, is Sitake.
    Every other Coach and Player, must be evaluated.

Brigham Young University and the LDS Church, it's sponsor, does not cut corners in anything is does. Temples, Business, Education, Charity etc..It is a well oiled and fine tuned machine.

We, BYU fans, demand nothing less from our football program.

I believe there are far too many assistant coaches , without the experience and the chops, to be effective at this level.

Clean house on the Coaches and determine which players are sincere about giving their all.

We all know the Riley rule, well, add one more Riley rule.

That is, BYU's coaches refusal to pull players when they do not perform.
    Mangum should have been pulled, week three. Time for a change at several positions.

Until coaches at BYU stop with their loyalty and seniority system to it's players, then nothing will change.

Award playing time based on "Merit" !

Too many buddies of Sitake are on the coaching staff, with very little experience, and it shows.

• BYU_football ,
    Oct. 22, 2017 7:36 a.m.

I am really disappointed in Detmer. In one of the few successful marches downfield, he rewards the offense by pulling them out and putting in the wildcat offense. The wildcat has done absolutely nothing this year! And, of course, it continued to be unsuccessful. It was like he deliberately wanted BYU not to score. Also, Detmer could have tried mixing up the offensive scheme by calling more pass plays in the first 3 quarters. It wasn't until desperation in the 4th quarter that they found out passing was somewhat effective. I hope something is done about the coaching staff during the off season.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 7:35 a.m.

I was behind the team until now. I was positive the cougs would somehow find a way to win this one. The season has turned into a disaster. I don't see any improvement game to game. Reminds me of the one win b-ball season. I have no doubt SItake is a capable coach. What happened?

• BYUKSU Henderson, NV
    Oct. 22, 2017 7:28 a.m.

Fred T - PHOENIX, AZ
    Being a fan does not mean that you have to gloss over the weakness of this team and this coaching staff. I and I believe most of those making comments well stop watching or cheering for these players but it is a honest question to ask if they can win even one more game this season. Detmer is in over his head and needs to be let go after this season, that is not being a fair weather fan that is being honest.

• cmsense Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 7:05 a.m.

In my lifetime, BYU has never looked so terrible.

It is the offense and the defense is nothing special.

I say keep Sitake but change O.C., at least for one more year. BYU can't have such a disastrous season without some changes. I'm still pulling for Sitake, but as the saying goes, "you are what your record says you are" and it is not pretty. Keep Ty as the quarterbacks coach if he would be willing to stay. Ed Lamb did a great job down in S. Utah. Can he coach offense?

Is it my imagination, or am I noticing a significantly higher percentage of bulging muscles on the opposing teams players? (not joking) What is going on with the strength and conditioning coaches at BYU?

• Justmythoughts Provo, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 6:54 a.m.

I watched until half way through the 3rd quarter, I just couldn't take it anymore. What a bad team. It is sad to see how far they have fallen. Utah losing helped ease the pain but only a little.

• truenorth3 Draper, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 6:34 a.m.

It's the culture of entitlement and favoritism brought on by the head coach and staff that is responsible for poor performance on the field, in the classroom and the community.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Oct. 22, 2017 5:36 a.m.

How many downs did El Bakri play?

• vasislos Holbrook, AZ
    Oct. 22, 2017 3:08 a.m.

God bless Tanner, but I think he peaked in High School and just doesn't have the stuff anymore. If Detmer and Sitake do not have enough faith in his abilities to open up the play book, then it is on them to bench him. For every good throw Mangum makes, he has three or four short throws, overthrows, balls batted down, and interceptions. Enough already.
    The season is done except for preparing for next year. Spread the playing time around and clear the bench. Maybe someone will show they belong on the field.
    Meanwhile, when did BYU play callers decide to go vanilla? Both the offense and defense are playing conservative as if to minimize the opportunity for mistakes. Boring and ineffective.

Sadly, there is a real possibility that this could be a 1 - 12 season.

• Fred T PHOENIX, AZ
    Oct. 22, 2017 2:29 a.m.

After reading all the comments, I think BYU really needs NEW fans.
    Not the fair weather, band wagon jumping off fans that I've read tonight.

Win or lose, support your team. Besides, they did not go from one of the best to one of the worse in a year.

At least all of you that wanted Bronco run out on a rail can enjoy the fact that they got beat soundly by Boston College. Of course... that would explain the mentality of what I've read here tonight.

• CougarForever Holladay, Utah
    Oct. 22, 2017 1:19 a.m.

It will be interesting to see how ESPN markets the BYU-San Jose State game for next Saturday. Granted it will be broadcast on ESPN 3 (which many potential viewers don't even have); but still, who beyond the most die-hard BYU and SJSU fans would be tempted to watch a game between two 1-7 irrelevant teams? I have tickets and plan to attend, but my usual game companion already has opted out.

@ idablu -- I share your concern regarding the possibility of having our better players seriously consider transferring, even with the 1-year waiting period (or those returning from missions who previously planned on playing for us opting to go elsewhere). This could sting.

Finally, it was amazing to see how elated the ECU players were after winning this game. Maybe our mission this year is to make other teams happy for one game.

• Deanvrtc Vancouver, WA
    Oct. 22, 2017 1:01 a.m.

Every week it’s just more embarrassing. Kalani struggles to find words in post game that are different. Nothing changes...week after week. Please bench Mangum, fire Detmer, and the receivers coach. Every week you wait, you will lose at least one or two more recruits and doom the coming years to the same fate. You can’t hope this gets better with the same coaches....no way. It’s too far gone and too ugly. Players/fans/ESPN/everyone knows this is a bust and these coaches have to go .....to start with a clean slate. Do your job Holmoe, but this time hire experience....not a HS coach.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Oct. 22, 2017 12:50 a.m.

I'm bummed out, so I think I will go read a story of how the lowly ASU Sun Devils put a beat down on the utes at home. That will somewhat dull the pain.

• John Jackson Sandy, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 12:35 a.m.

I'm guessing lack of confidence is a factor. When you lose enough, you have trouble believing in yourself. Even the coaches can be affected. A team that believes in themselves is more capable of punching it in when they get near the end zone. That isn't always the case, but often is. A team that believes in itself has a high third-down success rate. I wonder if the key to turning the team around might be in changing up how you address them. I don't know what approach the coaches are using, but if the players are going to believe in themselves, they need the coaches to be gushing as they tell the players they can do it. Coaching is more than Xs and Os. Inspiring the team is often the difference between a loss and a win.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Oct. 22, 2017 12:33 a.m.

And the hits just keep on coming. Who hired Detmer anyway? That guy would make Tom Brady look bad.

• BYU Joe MISSION VIEJO, CA
    Oct. 22, 2017 12:25 a.m.

The only thing that will end this pain is December.

• wahului Stockton, CA
    Oct. 22, 2017 12:22 a.m.

(continued from above)

These players are not perfectly suited to the new style, but they are all good athletes, stars of their high school teams, and certainly should be able to come a lot closer to success than they have. They are not all slower and less talented than all the opponents they have faced.
    I believe that BYU's football staff is comprised for the most part of serious, dedicated, knowledgeable men who will figure it out and excel, given enough time and their own willingness to be courageous and creative and work together in whatever way proves best; their challenge presently seems to be communicating and holding all accountable, with performance.

• wahului Stockton, CA
    Oct. 22, 2017 12:19 a.m.

Fair to say that big changes are needed @ BYU football. They didn't just get beat by one of the weakest teams in the nation today, they took over the position of worst defensive team and nearly so on offense. That said, mass firing is a doubtful solution. True, there is a gross change being installed in culture, and a multitude
    of injuries, but those things are not what's getting us this result. Among players, it seems everyone "wants" to win, but only some are willing to do what it takes. It seems our QB (Mangum) is good in practice and in skills contests, but not so much in games. Listening to coaches, he is not alone in that characteristic. There is a lot of stupid play that results in hugely damaging penalties, in every game...things that players @ D-1 level surely know better than. There is weakness in the coaching ranks that is becoming costly and creating a conundrum as to continuance of the present training course.

(continued)

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Oct. 22, 2017 12:14 a.m.

bluehusky,

You can't be serious to hang all of this just on Mangum? This year has been a total disaster from top to bottom and nobody is without fault. There needs to be many changes on the staff and I am sure they will be. Either way it's going to be a very long road back to being mediocre.

• Thidder MAPLETON, UT
    Oct. 21, 2017 11:58 p.m.

Serious question: has there ever been a football team playing so terribly that they suspended play for the remainder of the season in order to just practice, practice practice for the following season? Seems to me this is the best option for BYU even if unheard of in the history of college sports.

• estreetshuffle Window Rock, AZ
    Oct. 21, 2017 11:47 p.m.

Yey, some more postum, kettle corn and watch the Cougarettes. I don't know about you fair weather fans but I am still coming (8 hour drive) to the game next week to support the Seniors.

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    Oct. 21, 2017 11:26 p.m.

It was difficult seeing that graphic of Magnum and Jameis Winston at some high school all-star game. Magnum is older than Jameis Winston but their games have gone in opposite directions. Magnum's skill set seems to have eroded and I feel badly for the guy..

• eagle Provo, UT
    Oct. 21, 2017 11:25 p.m.

As for Mangum being the worst QB in BYU history, well some of you aren't old enough to have lived through the Stephen Covey/Bob Jensen days...

• eagle Provo, UT
    Oct. 21, 2017 11:23 p.m.

When Ed Lamb coached at SUU he turned his offense over to Steve Clark. Clark is the current TE coach with two successful stints as an OC at SUU and Weber State. I would start there first. They already have a guy on staff that has called offenses, and did a good job with it, on staff already. He has also improved the TE play in the program, the only phase of the team quite frankly that has made any improvement over the last two seasons.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Oct. 21, 2017 11:09 p.m.

One more comment - you have to take into account the injuries. There are 24 players on a football team, including the kickers. BYU has 22 injured players now.

The issue is not coaching. It is injuries. Week after week.

But BYU has stunk even from game 1. They could not move the ball against Portland State. Mangum was terrible then and terrible now. But he looked pretty good on the last drive. After the game was out of reach. Go figure.

So, it is time to start Hodges or Chrichner (sp?). No point in playing Mangum any more. For whatever reason, he is a shadow of what he was as a freshman.

• softbear Olympia, WA
    Oct. 21, 2017 11:03 p.m.

I've never been one to lay the blame entirely on a coach since after all their not the ones playing the game on the field however it seems to be pretty obvious that coaches are having a hard time. BYU has always been loyal to it's players but this has gone as far as it should go, Mangum needs to set and recover physically and mentally from his injuries. He hasn't had a good game all year. Give some of the other "great recruit" qb's a chance if nothing else to play sandlot ball, at least it might give them a chance to create something. Where is the "tight end", our trademark!!! Very little use and yet he's good.

Defensive line has always been good but they seem to be playing without that much enthusiasm and who can blame them. And as usual our secondaries is still chasing players, probably wore out since their on the field so much. I know it's easy to coach from my armchair but when you have players not performing as they should on top teams, they are replaced., something the Y just can't seem to do. Let's give the coaches another year but guys wake up and make some changes. You have the players use them, or get some others that can do the job.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Oct. 21, 2017 10:56 p.m.

The issue is clearly Mangum. He was terrible ... most of his throws were behind the line and he would focus on his target and never look off. So he completed a lot of short passes. Only after the game was lost did he actually look like a passing QB, but too little too late.

As for the defense, they laid an egg too. While ECU had the worst defense in college football, their offense is good. And they were able to move the ball well against the depleted Cougar defense. About 22 injuries coming into the game, then young Warner gets hurt. ECU moved the ball at will, and while being stopped four times, they hit field goals every time. I think BYU was 2 for 4 field goals, but my memory may be off on that one.

Overall, a humiliating outing that will put BYU at the very bottom of college football. Worst team since 1961 when the Cougars won only one game. I was a freshman then. I'm 75 now. We're searching for a stellar year here.

• CameToPass Everett, WA
    Oct. 21, 2017 10:44 p.m.

"Treat other readers as you would if you were speaking to them from a microphone, looking them in the eyes, then passing the microphone cordially to the next contributor."
    ----------------
    Ok, I am ready this time. I promise I am much more composed, as I visualize myself looking at all of the readers directly in the eye. Pease give me the microphone ... thank you ...
    -----------------
    THIS IS THE WORST BYU FOOTBALL TEAM I HAVE WITNESSED IN MY ENTIRE 45 YEARS OF BYU FANDOM.
    -----------------
    ... ok, please hand the microphone to the next reader. Thank you.

• CV Storm Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 21, 2017 10:42 p.m.

We did see the nations worst defense tonight, but they weren't wearing purple. San Jose and the remainder of the teams on the schedule are all licking their chops. They are thinking a sure win on the schedule.

• toosmartforyou Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 21, 2017 10:25 p.m.

Maybe I am crazy but I'll take a losing record every 20 years or so and the worst in 40 years has to occur some year. Football in the Beehive State isn't up to much this year from any team. Look at Michigan this year; Nebraska, Florida State, Missouri either this or other years and others to know that teams have highs and they have lows. At least the Y reached the pinnacle once, even though it was 31 years ago. Nebraska has been there 5 times. So that's one reason they play the games. Just look at how many in the top 10 last week and the top 25 this week lost. That's the nature of the game.

• blue & white Boise, ID
    Oct. 21, 2017 10:03 p.m.

I would like to know why we didn't pass more in quarters 1, 2, & 3. Needed to throw down field more. Looks like we didn't have a good game plan, two conservative. How about pass more to open up the run game. What shows is BYU has a great degree of ineptitude on offense and defense . Some changes are needed.

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 21, 2017 9:56 p.m.

LOL at all the Cougar fans talking crap about the Utes losing to ASU today!

Neither team is that good. But be honest with yourselves Cougar fans, you have nothing to say. BYU quite possibly could be the worst team in college football.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Oct. 21, 2017 9:52 p.m.

Since there is no conference championship to play for, and bowl eligibility is now out, maybe it is time to start the training process for next year? I have followed BYU sports since before LaVell Edwards became head coach, and they have never lost to the absolute worst defensive team in the nation before. I suppose that this officially makes BYU the nations worst team? This is a sad day for Utah sports fans (except those who are BYU haters).

• KimmyP Grantsville, UT
    Oct. 21, 2017 9:42 p.m.

ECU 😂

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 21, 2017 9:36 p.m.

You’re playing against the worst defense in the nation and the offensive game plan is to play super conservatively and not risk your QB to do anything challenging? If a coach has no confidence in the quarterback, why in the world is he playing? Are all the backups really that bad?
    Coaches should be held accountable for a terrible game plan both on offense and defense. You just can’t attribute this poor of a performance in every game this year to just injuries. It is much bigger than that. I hate to admit it but this whole program is in big, big trouble. I wouldn’t be surprised if any player with NFL potential, like Bushman, picked up and left BYU.

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 21, 2017 9:24 p.m.

Next Saturday, BYU is perfectly capable of preventing San Jose State from winning by an enormous margin.

• RememberBYUwinning13of14? Murray, UT
    Oct. 21, 2017 9:21 p.m.

Someone needs to be fired. I'm serious, if you can't beat East Carolina, it's the coaches fault. I'd say fire Tuiaki and Detmer. For good measure fire Ben Cahoon too. If he can't motivate the receivers, maybe someone else can. This is the latest of embarrassing losses and we as fans shouldn't have to endure any more of this subpar coaching.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Oct. 21, 2017 9:10 p.m.

I guess all the BYU fans are over on the Ute game article commenting. The Utes played an absolutely terrible game, but they haven't yet lost seven in a row. I did watch most of both games and enjoyed the ECU/BYU game much more. Even the 'Cupcake' part of the schedule is looking 50/50 now. . . Really, really sad to see the bowl streak end. Well, not really, I was just 'funnin' you. . .

• steve24/7 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 21, 2017 9:10 p.m.

I'd have to say that this game was the straw that broke the camel's back, or it certainly should be. If Ty Detmer and his assistants can't even come up with a game plan for our offense to score a lot more than 17 points against ECU and have our players properly coached to do that then Detmer and all or most of his assistants have to be replaced. This game should leave no doubt in anyone's mind about that.

It was too much of a gamble to bring in a guy with no coaching experience at this level, no proven track record at all, to a major college program and put him in charge of the entire offense. Tom Holmoe what in the world were you thinking.

Maybe the OC duties should be immediately turned over to Ed Lamb. I doubt he would do worse than Detmer.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Oct. 21, 2017 9:08 p.m.

Some Cougars fans are saying the entire coaching staff will be gone next season. But as bad as this season has been, I don't think the team needs that radical of a change.

We do however need to see something very different in the coaching staff, especially on offense. Ty Detmer - Maybe he can stay on as QB coach, but we MUST get a new OC. Don't know if we can get Steve Sarkisian or Aaron Roderick to came to BYU in '18, but the Cougars clearly need an OC who has some solid experience calling plays.

Next, maybe move a few of the other coaches around to make room for someone like Gary Anderson to serve as assistant head coach along with being a position coach on defense. Coach Anderson and Coach Sitake have a good relationship, and so to get Gary Anderson on the BYU staff I think will had some solid strength to the coaching staff.

That, in my opinion, is the direction BYU needs to go.

• Hoosier87 American Fork, UT
    Oct. 21, 2017 9:04 p.m.

I like Kalani, but at this point, I don’t think he survives after this season. Any coach who keeps playing Tanner Mangum knowing he’s the worst quarterback BYU has ever had can’t keep his job.

It’s beyond embarrassing at this point.

• evansrichdm West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 21, 2017 9:00 p.m.

At this point BYU could not even beat Copper Hills High School

• intrinsicrewards Salem, VA
    Oct. 21, 2017 8:57 p.m.

To go from one of the best to one of the worst programs in college football in one year says something is seriously broken and the program has been set back at least 5 years. To be dominated in the 2nd half by a really bad 1-6 team is crazy.

• Eastern CO Coug Elizabeth, CO
    Oct. 21, 2017 8:49 p.m.

Not good. Mangum just does not seem to have the ability to play well on a consistent basis. 3rd down struggles and horrible red zone performance. Stares his receivers down and does not look at the whole field much of the time. He showed flashes agains the worst defense in the country. I am continually amazed at the horrible play calling. On third and long seems like you want a bigger back blocking for the QB, and not the smallest one of the team? Just lost to one of the worst teams in the country. Where does that put BYU this year?

• DC Surfs Carlsbad, CA
    Oct. 21, 2017 8:45 p.m.

What a terrible team on both sides of the ball even with some decent recruited players. Imagine when they dont have any more 4 star or 3 star recruits moving forward. With this independent thing, I think we will see 2017 as the death nail in the BYU football coffin. I don't think the program can rebound from this. Huge bummer.

• common sense in Idaho Pocatello, id
    Oct. 21, 2017 8:44 p.m.

I'm speechless. Don't know what to say. What a disaster of a football season.

• David Centerville, UT
    Oct. 21, 2017 8:45 p.m.

Something is very wrong with BYU football. It is time for big changes with the program as things are moving quickly in the wrong direction.

• mightymite , 00
    Oct. 21, 2017 8:42 p.m.

This set up a monster match up of a couple of 1-7 teams next week. Should be quite an atmosphere next week when the vaunted Spartans come in to challenge the Cougars for the worst team in the nation.