What you need to know about Gordon Hayward's 'terrifying' injury

• kranny utah, UT
    Oct. 23, 2017 4:45 p.m.

Sorry fans, but this one is serious. There will be no quick recovery. He's done for the season. Ankle dislocations with tibial fractures requiring surgery take long to heal, and even longer to rehab. I've treated too many of them, and he'll be lucky to get back to previous functional form in the future. Best to Hayward's recovery.

• EPoint Roy, UT
    Oct. 23, 2017 4:19 p.m.

Seems the green tights didn't buffer the fall. Gordon just didn't look comfortable at any moment that night, but these things happen, the miracle being when players are not injured.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 18, 2017 3:49 p.m.

As bad as this sounds I think a break is better than a torn ACL. Bones mend and heal but torn tendons sometimes never do or they re-injure easy. I would worry more about the dislocation. Hopefully no tendons were damaged. Gordon will be back.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Oct. 18, 2017 2:28 p.m.

Let it go...Water Rocket...Let it go!
    Think of the man and set aside your bruised ego.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Oct. 18, 2017 2:26 p.m.

We're all pulling for you Gordon.
    Prayers to you of the highest order.
    You'll always be a Jazzman to us.

• Mark from Montana Davis County, UT
    Oct. 18, 2017 1:49 p.m.

Sorry to see any player get injured. Hope he recovers fully.

I do take issue with this statement;

"But once again, his injury shows the sacrifice Hayward, a father of two, makes to live out his dream."

What about the sacrifice people make every day? What about the mother that survives on 5 hours of sleep at night to make sure her kids can eat? What about father that works two jobs, or 80 hours a week to make sure his family has a place to sleep and food on their table? How about the many that put their lives on the line in the armed forces, police and fire fighters? All for what is frankly mediocre pay? How about teachers that make a very modest living so they can influence many lives?

I realize that Hayward and most other athletes sacrifice, but they also are well paid, receive the best care in the world yet don't worry about how to pay for it, and frankly don't worry about where their next meal is coming from, or how they will make rent/mortgage payments when they get hurt.

Yes, I feel bad for Hayward, but I would rather not hear about the sacrifices he makes to 'live his dream'.

• Weige86 Roy, UT
    Oct. 18, 2017 12:51 p.m.

It appears that the injury, although gruesome looking, may not be as bad as most people thought. I am betting that he is back playing before Exum.
    It is always sad to see horrible injuries like that no matter your rooting interest.
    Sports franchises usually have lots of money and great medical resources so he will be ok.
    While we spend all of this time talking about this, let's reflect on those military personnel that make peanuts and put their lives on the line. Some of them don't come home alive, some of them lose limbs and suffer life altering injuries far worse than this and don't have as good of access to great medical care. Thank you military!

• Talon 9 Oceanside, CA
    Oct. 18, 2017 12:46 p.m.

Sacrifice? Give me a break (pun intended) dude is going to get paid $128M. I don't wish harm on anyone but don't tell me of the sacrifice professional athletes make with their body when I go to the gym and Marines are missing a limb and still working out. Hopefully #20 can have a full recovery but when he goes home to Rancho Santa Fe don't call it a sacrifice; its his job.

• Jimbo Low PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Oct. 18, 2017 12:26 p.m.

Hard to watch this play. I believe Paul George had a similar injury ironically (the other player the Jazz may have been considering when they drafted Hayward). All you had to do was see the expression on the fans' faces who were looking at Hayward to know how bad it was.
    Best to Gordon and his recovery.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Oct. 18, 2017 11:42 a.m.

While no one wants to see this happen, it is almost poetic justice, isn't it? The "poetic justice" comment might more appropriately be ascribed to the Boston Celtics than to Gordon. Just think, they get to pay a huge max salary for an injured player. How many millions will that cost them? Maybe they should have left the Jazz and their star player alone?

• mufasta American Fork, UT
    Oct. 18, 2017 10:46 a.m.

Gordon, you are a fun player to watch. I hope you return quickly. My family and I are praying for a speedy recovery.