Rock: If you enjoyed the Hayward injury, it's time to quit watching sports

• Thomas Thompson Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 19, 2017 6:45 a.m.

Nobody disagrees with you, Brad Rock. But it you who have made it an issue. How come?

• okeesmokee SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 18, 2017 5:26 p.m.

I dislocated my ankle when I landed on another players foot - it popped out of the "socket" and my foot was pointing up and to the left. It surprised the doctors that I didn't break anything. It has been 28 years and I still feel it when I walk or step on a pebble wrong. I hope Gordon is able to recover - I believe we have come a long way with physical therapy.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Oct. 18, 2017 3:42 p.m.

I will not pray for a professional athlete who will get the best care and still be paid millions while he is rehabilitating.

That said it makes it harder to hate the guy for hosing the Jazz the way he did.

• dan76 san antonio, TX
    Oct. 18, 2017 3:13 p.m.

rvalens2 -

"I'm in a bit of a shock at the reaction some Jazz fans have had at Hayward's injury. What's happening in the World that some people feel the need to kick a man when he's down?"

Agree.

However this morning I talked with a medically retired combat veteran who suffered a TBI while serving in Afghanistan. He's lost cognitive ability, hearing, and a portion of his vision.

He's not receiving a small portion of the press coverage for Mr. Hayward nor does he expect it. Furthermore he's receiving a pittance for his disability. However I have more respect for him and his brothers/sisters in arms than for any athlete.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2017 2:36 p.m.

@straightpath

Your self-awareness is impressive. It's awful that you feel that way however. You've obviously never been an athlete or had a serious injury before.

• David in New Mexico Rio Rancho, NM
    Oct. 18, 2017 2:22 p.m.

Cmon, we were good to Hayward. We drafted him and patiently trained and invested in him. Had he been loyal we’d have loved him forever. But then he left. That, and what most casual fans don’t understand is that by leaving the way he did, by waiting so long, he hurt the Jazz making it difficult for us to maneuver a trade and leaving the free agent cupboards bare. It was really inconsiderate and hurt that someone we loved would hurt us like he did. All that said, I wish him well and feel terrible he got hurt so badly. I just wish he cared at all when he chose to hurt us, his friends.

• lwc61 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2017 1:57 p.m.

Hayward does not deserve to get injured anymore than anyone else in the league. While here he matured into a talented and versatile player. Many teams coveted his abilities, and the Celtics were the winner. Let's hope he can recover fully and return to the league.

With all the poor role models in sports, Gordon Hayward was a breath of fresh air. The Jazz will move on and be just fine. Any venom directed Hayward's way by heartless fans is misplaced and would only further cement in his mind that perhaps his choice to leave was warranted. May the outpouring of love and support from Jazz fans make him miss us. Let's show some class and wish him the best. He gave us 100% effort while he was here. Let's all take the high road on this one.

• Straitpath PROVO, UT
    Oct. 18, 2017 1:53 p.m.

I will admit I lay sleepless for a couple of hours last night analyzing my moment of joy over his injury. Not who I want to be.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Oct. 18, 2017 1:51 p.m.

It isn't Karma, or Kismet or Gordon and Boston getting their comeuppance. It's a freak accident!

As bad as a few of the comments have been here on the Deseret News, it's been far worse on other websites that don't monitor closely enough what people post.

Yes, Gordon a a multimillionaire who can afford the best doctors and orthopedists. And no, his injury isn't anywhere comparable to a soldier who has served in Iraq and been injured and lost his/her legs. But far too many people have posted comments that show just how ugly we as a society have become when any of us can take "glee" in someone's suffering.

• milquetoasty Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2017 1:25 p.m.

Once again, I'm embarrassed to be a Utah Jazz fan.

To all of you who have felt compelled to jump on social media and declare Gordon Hayward's injury "karma," you have proved him right, spectacularly.

If I were him, I would be thanking God that I got as far away from these PATHETIC, vengeful, hateful, spiteful fans as I could (and I'm a lifelong Jazz fan). If he had any doubts before, I'm certain he doesn't anymore.

How EMBARASSING.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, UT
    Oct. 18, 2017 12:55 p.m.

Give me a break Rock... where was your article about poor Dante Exum, and prayers and well wishes and thoughts for him?
    I don't wish harm to anyone, but I also no longer much care for or about Hayward.
    He is a big boy and can deal with it just fine, all the while getting paid millions.
    He hosed over the Jazz, not for choosing to leave, but for how he did it.
    Karma, or comeuppance, or kismet, or fate... it came around to him.

• Swan Ronson St. Louis, MO
    Oct. 18, 2017 10:09 a.m.

I doubt many people are truly happy because he got hurt . . but I certainly would've felt worse if he had re-signed with the Jazz. If that's not okay . . well, so be it. I'll admit to being salty about him leaving, and I frankly hoped his career turns out to have peaked in 2016-17. I will not cheer for the Celtics, a franchise I previously had generally good vibes about. But happy to see him absolutely wreck his leg? Of course not.

Hopefully his career isn't materially affected long-term by the injury. I want him to come back healthy and lose many games under Brad Stevens.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2017 9:46 a.m.

I've heard the word Karma used by some. If so, they don't have a clue as to what Karma means.

These things a decipher moments. By reactions, you can cipher out the mean, ignorant people or you can discover the big-hearted, mindful people.

Small mindedness and cruelty seem to rule the day, however.

Get better G-man! Mindful Utahns are all cheering for your return.