Letter: What is wrong with Hollywood?

• VIDAR Murray, UT
    Oct. 18, 2017 3:32 p.m.

I agree with the writer of this letter. This last weekend I could not find a movie that i wanted to see with my wife. R rated movies do make less than pg-pg13 movies overall that is just a fact. I figure right now is the dumping period before the really good movies come out in November-December. It has to be remembered that a movie does not need to make a ton of money always, just a significant more than it cost to make. Most R rated movies are pretty inexpensive to make as they are not meant to be the "blockbusters" that they spend more money on to make; because they expect to make a lot back.

• VIDAR Murray, UT
    Oct. 18, 2017 3:24 p.m.

unrepentant progressive - Bozeman, MT

I love books, but the chances of finding smut in a book is as easy as a movie, at least with the movies they are rated.

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 17, 2017 11:09 a.m.

Personally, I never disqualify an R-rated movie from consideration just because some board decided it deserved an R rating. Instead, I look at the subject matter, content (profanity, sex, violence, etc.) and at the reviews it has received. We almost never go to movies that receive 2 stars or fewer.

Some great R-rated movies include "Schindler's List," "The King's Speech," "Crimson Tide," "Saving Private Ryan," "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," "Grand Torino," "A Few Good Men."

• Utah Soldier Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 17, 2017 10:52 a.m.

" They really don't care about their customers."

They do care about their customers, otherwise they would not put out a product in order to make money.

They know that they are not going to please 100% of the population, but that is not their goal. It would be my guess that individuals who choose to avoid a movie simply because of a R-Rating are in the minority

There are certain movies franchises that I don't care for (I think they are waste of money) but my kids love them.

• Edgar Samaria, ID
    Oct. 17, 2017 10:21 a.m.

" They really don't care about their customers."

And yet they continue to make millions (or billions). I agree with your assessment of the movies produced in Hollywood but I have accepted that our society as a whole isn't bothered by those fading moral standards. And they apparently aren't even bothered by terrible movies (Just a side note - I usually love ALL of Tom Hanks' movies but I saw The Circle the other night and was totally disappointed. It was a stupid movie!)

OK, back to the subject. Surprisingly, I even find myself agreeing with J Thompson, although I think the cast members he is weary of are not the same ones I dislike.

There are many things that I don't understand in our modern society. I hate the fact that school teachers are paid very low salaries while professional basketball players (and some non-professional ones) are paid unthinkable salaries. But I remember Harry Caldwell, my professor in an Economic Geography class, told me 45 years ago - it's all about supply and demand.

It happens in Hollywood and it happens everywhere. It is a huge task to change that dynamic but why not give it a try? What have we got to lose?

• J Thompson SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Oct. 17, 2017 9:29 a.m.

We select movies based on two criteria: content and cast. If we deem the content would demean or debase, we don't watch that movie. If we deem that members of the cast use their popularity to debase themselves or to attack America, we don't watch that movie.

After eliminating movies or cast that would offend, then we look for something that will uplift. There are a few GOOD movies produced every year. We watch those movies.

• HaHaHaHa Othello, WA
    Oct. 17, 2017 9:24 a.m.

"Hollywood does care about its consumers"

It only cares about the "consumers" it targets. The fact is their industry can make a very nice living off of 5-10% of the population. Just ask the nfl.

• HaHaHaHa Othello, WA
    Oct. 17, 2017 9:18 a.m.

What's hollywood?

• sbaggs south jordan, UT
    Oct. 17, 2017 9:13 a.m.

I totally agree with the writer. I haven't been to the movies in years because they are boring. The writers have run out of imagination so they use sex and violence to offset a bad story line (if there is one). Much rather watch an old black and white than the stuff they make now days. At least the old ones had to be written well or they wouldn't sell. I say if you take out all the junk and the movie can stand on it's own without it then why add the junk in the first place. Nothing replaces good writing.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Oct. 17, 2017 8:40 a.m.

Hollywood does care about its consumers. They are giving the people what the people want. Money is the proof. If a movie comes out and is rated G, it often fails. Throw in something spicy, and it sells. Hollywood is only following the demands of the marketplace. Blame yourself and your neighbors, not Hollywood.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Oct. 17, 2017 6:57 a.m.

I don't know what your problem is....

We don't watch "R" rated movies,
    and we watch at least 1 movie a week.

I recommend "Dunkirk", "The Jungle Book", "Beauty and the Beast" and "Going in Style".
    Any 007 or Jason Borne series.
    Star Wars, Star Trek....etc.

There is plenty out there...

• SMcloud Sandy, UT
    Oct. 17, 2017 1:27 a.m.

Not everyone hates R rated movies. I'm afraid among adults you are in the minority.

• cthulhu_fhtagn Seattle, WA
    Oct. 16, 2017 10:53 p.m.

The answer is simple: you are not their target demographic.

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    Oct. 16, 2017 10:45 p.m.

So, don't watch movies. Books are better.

TV is a waste of time. And much that is commercially profitable to Hollywood is either risque to some or banal to others.

Read, there are lots more choices.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Oct. 16, 2017 7:58 p.m.

You know, to me it looks like the entertainment industry is following their customers very closely, and giving them what they want. It isn't particularly what I want, or what the letter writer wants, but that's the way it works. I don't go to many movies either, not because I'm fearful of R rated content but mostly because the premise of most of them is...bad.

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    Oct. 16, 2017 6:40 p.m.

I would agree with the author of this article. Hollywood does a lousy job in finding content that is what this consumer wants. I can't speak for anyone else. What storylines are just so lame. And what movie doesn't have to have some couple have premarital sex in it?

Finding out that the likes of Harvey Weinstein has believed in (and practiced) premarital sex & extramarital sex, people with his lifestyle have evidently been working at justifying and normalizing their lifestyles for decades now. And their normalization of immorality in the media they have been into movies, making immorality the norm in everyday life.

Also, swearing is so ubiquitous in some movies as to make one numb listening to it. It astounds me how often the f word is used over and over in movies, even already to the exclusion of other swear words.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Oct. 16, 2017 5:55 p.m.

There are plenty of other options on Netflix, Hulu, streaming, Redbox, etc. There must be a huge market for R rated movies if 70% (doubtful- just looked at the listings) are rated R.
    There's plenty of ways to find entertainment to suit your tastes-more than any other time in history.