Donovan Mitchell and the reality of rookies

• burningblue Provo, UT
    Oct. 16, 2017 3:59 p.m.

I'm already a fan of Donavan Mitchell. I don't care if he doesn't become a superstar, but I think he has that potential. I see him as Kwahi Leonard in a point guard body. That might be too high of expectations, but I'm too crazy of a Jazz fan to calm down.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    Oct. 14, 2017 9:40 p.m.

I'm confident that Mitchell will be playing starter minutes by mid-season. He may not start much his first year, but he will be on the court a lot because of his defense and all-around scoring and passing talents. I like his stroke, and I think his percentage will rise as his shot selection becomes wiser. Also, he has a strong body for his age.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Oct. 14, 2017 7:51 p.m.

I have taken a deep breath as instructed and am now cautiously optimistic that Donovan will take a measured approach, learn from his mistakes, not skip steps, realize that it takes time to learn the game, that he has to let the game come to him, has to be patient until the game slows down, learn everything he can - have I missed anything? Having said that this kid is going to win rookie of the year and make us forget Gordon Whathisbucket ever played here!!! 🎉

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Oct. 14, 2017 3:00 p.m.

History is about to repeat itself. Why? Because the Jazz acquired Donovan Mitchell via a trade with Denver. The last time that happened, their were able to get Rudy Gobert for cash and a second round pick. A move Denver is still regretting to this day.

One Denver fan angrily obsessed, that he couldn't believe the Nuggets wouldn't keep Donovan Mitchell for themselves. A player he believes has the word "star player" written all over him.

I agree.

As a long-time Jazz fan (38-years), I have never seen any rookie Jazz player I was as high on as Donovan Mitchell. Too much hype? Not in my opinion, the kid is fast, long, athletic, fearless, humble, a willing passer and smart. He's also willing to take the "big-shot" and hit it in clutch situations — which is exactly what he did in the last two minutes of the LA game.

And like Gobert, Mitchell is willing to put in the work to get better. Which means he is only going to improve. This season, I believe Mitchell is going to contribute a heck of a lot more than anyone thinks.

While I'm certain Mitchell will have his ups-and-downs, by the time it's over, everyone will be singing his praises — with Brad Rock leading the choir.

• BioPowertrain Detroit, MI
    Oct. 14, 2017 3:00 p.m.

Not always with you Brad, but I appreciate you grounding us. Confident long-term optimism is the way to support Mitchell effectively.
    Unrealistic expectations are sure to destroy any rookie's confidence, thereby killing what can be. Keep it real Jazzfan, remember Stockton didn't even start into his third year, and set the young man up to succeed by enjoying the young man's pro game development over a normal timeline.

• Oh Really? HERRIMAN, UT
    Oct. 14, 2017 1:48 p.m.

Talk about bad drafts:
    1980 the Jazz picked Darrell Griffith over Kevin McHale because Griff would sell more tickets.
    2001 they picked Raul Lopez when everyone in the crowd was begging for Tony Parker
    And they picked Dante Exum over anyone.
    Not to mention Deron over CP3,
    Trey Burke? Sigh.

• Little Andy Tremonton, UT
    Oct. 14, 2017 1:25 p.m.

Back in the early eighties there was a Dodger pitcher who won both rookie of the year and the Cy Young award. Only time that has ever happened. Let fans enjoy the newness of this kid who replaces that former player.