Why so many Utah men have melanoma

• Mage Springville, UT
    Oct. 16, 2017 12:25 a.m.

I think the missing piece in this puzzle that explains part of the difference in melanoma rates between Colorado and Utah is the per-capita rate of coffee consumption in both states. In a number of research studies, coffee has been found to have a protective effect against the growth of certain kinds of cancers, including melanoma. Utah's per-capita coffee consumption is probably the lowest in the nation.

• rexwhitmer ELFRIDA, AZ
    Oct. 13, 2017 11:36 p.m.

I'm from Arizona. Though I lived in Utah a couple of years, I can tell you that irrespective of our lack of a lot of snow, I don't believe we have the same ratio (Personal opinion). I've worked out of doors a lot, was a hiker and a biker, Several friends have had the disease, some native others came here from elsewhere. My skin turns red on first exposure. Not sore , no blistering. The next day it's gone, and my skin becomes darker over the next two weeks. Personally I blame it all on the new liking for persons to expose ever more skin. I see women now wearing dresses and other coverings with holes in them to expose more. Men and women do artificial sunning to make skin darker, and from the information I've seen, it is a much higher risk to put yourself in one of those lighted coffins.

• rok Sandy, UT
    Oct. 13, 2017 4:24 p.m.

The problem with sunscreen is that it is unreliable. It never lasts as long as they say it does. Plus you can miss spots and lose track of time. Now I don't ever go swimming outdoors without a surf shirt. I know I'm destined for melanoma at some point. Many blistering sunburns growing up. My brother had melanoma. Hopefully they find a cure.

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 13, 2017 12:14 p.m.

I'm just waiting for the sunburns of youth to catch up to me...I know it's coming. If there's any luck it's that I always wear a lot of clothes when I'm out, it's always been the way for me to avoid burning.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    Oct. 13, 2017 11:57 a.m.

I had BCC this year and am only 35. I get checked every year, and sometimes twice a year at this point. I always have a hat on, and usually wear long sleeves. On a normal day it's just a baseball cap but if I am going hiking or spending any amount of time outdoors it's a full brimmed hat and long sleeves. At lagoon this summer I was shocked to notice that no one wears hats, maybe 25% of the people had a baseball cap on, and I probably only saw 2-3 other people the entire day that had a full brimmed hat on.

• anewday Ogden, UT
    Oct. 13, 2017 10:56 a.m.

Yes, it is definitely hereditary. My mom's dad, my mom, 2 of my mom's sisters, my brother, and 9 of the 10 children of my mom's uncle all died of melanoma. I'm sure there are more that I don't know about. Scary thing to live with.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Oct. 13, 2017 9:18 a.m.

I never heard of it, I had to read the article. I've live for the sun. I love the warmth in the morning as the sun comes up. Ya get vitamin d that you get from the sun, it's good for the brain. I get brown in the summer from working in the sun.
    I went on vacation in Vegas about a month ago an was at a gas station sitting eating a sandwich an a person came over, thinking I was homeless an wanted to hand me $2O, because of my suntan. I realized that t was darker than Latin s. Everyone must live inside never goes outside.

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    Oct. 13, 2017 8:55 a.m.

Sun kills skin. No one including children should go out without a hat and sun screen if they insist on bare skin. Sun screen does not last all day. I wear a hat and long sleeve shirt.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Oct. 13, 2017 8:09 a.m.

Frequent sunscreen is necessary. Sunglasses, too.