Matheson says he met with Bannon, but hasn't decided on Senate run

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• Flying Finn Murray, UT
    Oct. 12, 2017 8:06 p.m.

Re: David - Centerville, UT
    Mrs. Bill Clinton showed her true colors the night Trump won the election. You've heard the stories her staff has tried to downplay what happened behind closed doors. My thanks to all the Democrats that helped Trump win.

Remember her comment about the "basket of deplorables"?

• David Centerville, UT
    Oct. 12, 2017 7:15 a.m.

Sammyg

"The last thing I recall is that the voters made their choice, Trump won..."

Sammyg, Trump fooled a lot of people. Have you seen the latest poll? Trump has over 60% disapproval. Those are the worst numbers of any president at this time in an administration. I predict Trump will lose by a landslide in 2020.

"...what is so wrong with Trump's Make America Great Again agenda?"

Very simply, Trump's words, actions and agenda are not making America great. That's what's wrong. He is dividing the Republican Party, making his supporters such a small minority of the voting populace that Republicans will lose power for an extended period of time. Many Republicans supported Trump because they feared Hillary, not because they loved Trump. Now we are seeing the Republican Party diminished. Democrats will dominate politics starting in 2018...is this what Republicans wanted?

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Oct. 11, 2017 10:56 a.m.

It's very simple. I will not, under any circumstances, do anything that would allow one of Bannon's fascists to have any power to have a say in the governance of the US. A the caucus/convention or primary level, I will vote against anyone Bannon supports. If the Bannon candidate makes it onto the final ballot, I will vote for anyone who has a chance to beat that candidate (even a Democrat if that's what it talks, although I'm a life-long Republican) because I do not want to allow fascists to pervert this country.

Please Republicans -- provide us a moderate, centrist Senatorial candidate. No far right extremist -- PLEASE!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Oct. 11, 2017 10:48 a.m.

Any association with Bannon will cause me to vigorously oppose.....

@ marxist, I think it also sends a message about this newspaper, one that is troubling.

• dmb Lehi, UT
    Oct. 11, 2017 10:29 a.m.

Look at the example of George Washington - perhaps the greatest American of all time. He stepped down after two terms because he didn't want to create an imperial presidency. I think we will do just fine if Hatch steps down. If he doesn't, then Utahns want to support a real reformer. We need new thoughts, new leadership and a new vision - and don't need to annoint the next promised heir to the throne. I support Boyd Matheson who was Mike Lee's Chief of Staff. Lee has been the most effective Senator in Congress. Boyd played a key part in that.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 11, 2017 8:11 a.m.

I am seeing an underlying conspiracy here by the Bannonites to recruit free institute articles to flood social media.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Oct. 11, 2017 8:11 a.m.

How is it that Bannon has suddenly become kingmaker?

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 11, 2017 6:44 a.m.

10cc said...

"... Matheson owes D-News readers an explanation about how his interactions with Bannon, whose views most certainly lie far outside what is considered acceptable, here in Utah."

Please explain to 'us' what is not acceptable as to a national populist agenda and that it is so 'far outside' of the norms 'here in Utah' ???

Inquiring minds want to know what is so wrong with Trump's Make America Great Again agenda? We all know that the likes of Orin Hatch have compromised away 'our' values and has eroded the Constitution

The last thing I recall is that the voters made their choice, Trump won in an electoral tsunami and that all the media pundits were in 'shock and awe' with crocodile tears in the wee morning of November 9th. It was awsome!

I'm guessing you voted for McMullin? lol

• Ignominious Sandy, UT
    Oct. 11, 2017 2:05 a.m.

Hatch demonstrated his hypocrisy when he ran for a 3rd term oh so long ago. I think most who support him either only hear his every sixth year conservatism or are Democrats.

It's clear Utah has not been a true conservative state for many years. But they sure think they are! It shows when conservative candidates are labeled "far right" and rejected by voters.

I just hope we don't end up with another carpet bagger. We've had enough political opportunists.

• Susan Storm Sandy, UT
    Oct. 11, 2017 2:03 a.m.

Bannon's motives are suspect at best. Be careful who your friends are.

I just want a moderate Republican that is fiscally responsible and not beholden to campaign donors. Is that so much to ask?

• UtahEngineer Sandy, UT
    Oct. 11, 2017 12:44 a.m.

Sorry, Mr. Matheson. You and the Sutherland Institute have engaged in way too much fence straddling to earn a spot on the senate ticket opposing Mr. Hatch.

Sure, pandering to downtown power groups has its rewards. But most Republicans still demand more than that when they choose a new senator every six years.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 11, 2017 12:30 a.m.

So let's get all of this into focus. We have a very dangerous man in the presidency, whom Senator Corker correctly says could get us into WW III. And we have Bannon, who was key in getting President Trump elected. And now we have Boyd Matheson who is central in the Utah political and media establishment, read Deseret News, talking mutual campaigns with Bannon. Wow, just wow.

• UtahSMBowner Provo, UT
    Oct. 11, 2017 12:25 a.m.

I would LOVE to find a solid conservative to run to replace Senator Hatch, but we need a solid candidate. When Hatch ran last time around, we had a good candidate in Dan Liljenquist, but even with his solid bio, Hatch beat him handily.

Clearly, for Bannon to even consider Matheson, a man who doesn’t even have a college degree, really shows that he wants a puppet he can control and demonstrates a total lack of consideration for Utah and her citizens!

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 10, 2017 10:39 p.m.

Matheson has established himself in being a contributor to the D-News as being within the range of rational, acceptable political thinking.

Even if he declines to accept Bannon's offer to run against Hatch, Matheson owes D-News readers an explanation about how his interactions with Bannon, whose views most certainly lie far outside what is considered acceptable, here in Utah.

• Sandy Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2017 10:06 p.m.

Matheson should weigh carefully getting involved with Bannon. I'm still a Republican, though a disaffected one with the way the party has behaved. Bannon recruits will not get my vote, and I hope Utah will respond likewise....

Though I fear it may not.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2017 9:44 p.m.

So Matheson, a mainstay of the Deseret News editorial page, is alt-right? This fuels a lot of speculation about the Utah political and media establishment.

• Mark from Montana Davis County, UT
    Oct. 10, 2017 9:24 p.m.

I am not the biggest fan of Hatch, but I will vote for him over a right wing person like Matheson. Our country needs people that will work together and get things done, not like Mike Lee, Ted Cruz and others that just want to destroy the country.

• David Centerville, UT
    Oct. 10, 2017 9:12 p.m.

I appreciated Matheson's periodic articles in the Deseret News (not to say that I agreed with everything he wrote), but now apparently aligning with the likes of Bannon, I view Matheson with great suspicion and distrust. Bannon is on the fringe and extreme of the political right. Not a good place to be if you love American ideals.

• portlander Arlington, WA
    Oct. 10, 2017 8:16 p.m.

Matheson sounds like a great replacement for Hatch. I hope he decides to run for the seat. Utah needs better representation.

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    Oct. 10, 2017 7:20 p.m.

Matheson busy examining his soul, trying to determine the selling price.

Politics in 2018 or living in 1954?