Jared Whitley: Star Trek isn't as good at social commentary as it thinks it is

• 1Reader Alpine, UT
    Sept. 28, 2017 9:03 p.m.

There definitely are no TV censors anymore--to my great dismay--(except by many producers who feel a right and responsibility to force smut on viewers).

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Sept. 27, 2017 8:07 a.m.

Wow! This article is way off.

Star Trek TOS covered a lot-
    Drugs and addiction, sexism, feminism, war, peace, racism, race relations, labor and unions, the right to life and death, terrorism and freedom fighting, colonialism, aging.....someone needs to back and rewrite this article.

• stevo123 Driggs, ID
    Sept. 27, 2017 7:37 a.m.

Mr Whitley. It's a tv show, let it go.

• Beowulf Portland, OR
    Sept. 26, 2017 6:42 p.m.

Actually, I remember that half-white half-black race story with fondness. Especially when a Star Trek crew member asks what's the difference? "Can't you see? He's white on the right and black on the left, while I am white on the left and black on the right."

It was a goofy difference that any 12 year old boy (as I was) would laugh at, and then see the wider point about race in general.

Subtle, it wasn't. But effective.

• djc Stansbury Park, Ut
    Sept. 26, 2017 4:22 p.m.

I also must say that the writer of this commentary must be too young to have lived in the time of the original Star Trek or else he would know what a groundbreaking series it was. It was after all merely a TV show, but it went where none had gone before and boldly explored new worlds. To be so dismissive is to show a lack of a deeper understanding of the time.

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 26, 2017 2:56 p.m.

"But the Cold War ended 25 years ago, so maybe it’s time to move on."
    ===========

I get the point. BUT, there are enough echoes of the Soviet vs. U.S. Cold War of the 50's - 80's going on right now between us and N. Korea and Putin that there's an almost spooky resemblance. Not to mention the ongoing lukewarm war with ISIS/Al Qaeda in Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria that is has been stressing the military to near maximum for over 16 years now.

I'm sure there are many story lines that the new Star Trek series could use that could be reminiscent of the old "Cold War" as well as touching on the many (too many) issues of today.

However, as I watched the opening episode I was already feeling overwhelmed by the strained and humorless effort to seem topical and "progressive" within the sci-fi setting that seemed, most of all, simply over produced and soggy with profundity. It burned me out at the beginning.

• Boomstickdad Provo, TX
    Sept. 26, 2017 12:26 p.m.

Have to wonder if this writer is so young that he doesn't realize that what was groundbreaking in the late '60s can easily seem dated today. (He's probably also a "Star Wars" obsessor.)

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 26, 2017 9:56 a.m.

Hogwash, hogwash, and hogwash. Star Trek has done far more than this article writer seems to realize. Shame on you! Never badmouth Star Trek!